SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-09, 04:10 AM   #121
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact View Post
Excuse me but what does AA should mean ? Anti Aircraft Gun ?
Anti-aliasing.
Old 04-20-09, 04:23 AM   #122
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis View Post
Anti-aliasing.
I'll try. Danks
Old 04-22-09, 10:24 AM   #123
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

So I completed my first patrol with OLC Gold and I'm pretty happy with the results. Despite the bloody weather most of the time I still managed to sink 5 ships:

I was thinking would it be possible to get target course by just measuring range couple of times using WO, protractor and a ruler, then draw a line through two marks made on map and this way get the course ?

Attack disk is of course usefull tool to resolve course as well, but when I'm far away from target it's damn tricky to get accurate AOB or almost impossible at night.

The same principle could be adapted in getting the speed using 3.15 min rule I think ?
Old 04-23-09, 04:48 AM   #124
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Hallo Contact!

You can get a ship's course or a convoy's course by marking its position on the navigation map for a period of time. You should be able to determine this period of time on your own, there are no fixed solutions. I follow my target, at the edge of the visual range, and mark its position at 4 or 5min intervals for a distance of about 25km. Then i get the course the way you describe.

There is another way of doing this, specifically when the target is a convoy. First, mark its position on the nav map. Follow the convoy for about 25km or more and mark its position again. Find the course by using the protractor. So,
- If you get a radio contact report then you have the 1st mark. You can then plot an interception course which will bring you in front of the convoy just outside the visual range. Then, another sighting is all you need.
- If you get a second radio report then you have the 2nd mark.
-A sighting will give you the 1st mark (i.e you spot the convoy).
Follow it and you either mark its position every 4 or 5 min or take another mark after 25km.

Thats what i do. Also, you should not expect to find the EXACT course. Your calculations will give you a course which differs from the exact course by 1 or even 2deg. If you want to practice then, after getting the course, send a message to BdU to radio the convoy's position. This way you can verify your calculations. But when playing your real career, this is cheating. Its all up to you.

tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 04:59 AM   #125
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi Tomfon,

Thanks for sharing your experience. However I will try my own method in first place on my second patrol.. I will mark the first sight position, then will let the clock go for 3.15 min. Mark second position, this way I will get more or less accurate course and speed in one shot.

I will then use speed chart table to calculate the interception spot close enough to get decent AOB and Torpedo LOS!
Old 04-23-09, 06:00 AM   #126
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

BTW. Is there any way to measure salvo spread angle accordingly to range ?
Old 04-23-09, 11:04 AM   #127
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Taking range and bearings from the watch officer is what alot of us do. I too find it tricky to use the range-finder al long distances.

3m 15 seconds is an easy quick interval. But only if you keep in mind it is crude. High speeds isn't much of a problem. 13 knots is only 8 % bigger than 12 and would require also 8 % more lead. But if you mistake a 4 knots for a real speed of 5 knots your lead would be lacking by 25%. Not an issue at close range (see below). But it is for long range shots. Also, plotting when 16km away the uncertainty is atleast a 150m radius circle, bigger than the 100m for every knot. And since you have to deal with 2 such circles, think again. I usually use the 3m15 second interval to set a quick parallel course, and then plot for a longer time (i.e. multiples of 3m15s: 6m30s, 9m45s, 13m) without risking getting too close. Don't forget OLC included a nomograph tool on the map. (well, gwx has one too) It helps you to calculate speed for any time interval. Except it is a bit too short for long range intercepts. It's only for a couple of hours. So I never leave port without my Attackdisk.

Quote:
BTW. Is there any way to measure salvo spread angle accordingly to range ?
The width of 1 degree is about 17.5 meters per kilometer. A ship being 78.5 meters long would be close to 4.5 degrees (78.5/17.5) at 1km, and 2.25 at 2km (since distant objects look inverse proportional smaller). A ship 140m long would be 8 degrees wide at 1km, and ofcourse 4 degrees at 2km, 2 degrees at 4km. You get the idea? Those are just the most common lengths I remember.

Or 1 degree is roughly 60 meters range per meter width (5% too much). Then the approximation of width-angle comes down to alpha=60*length/range (both in meters)

Last edited by Pisces; 04-23-09 at 12:20 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-09, 03:25 PM   #128
Contact
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
Taking range and bearings from the watch officer is what alot of us do. I too find it tricky to use the range-finder al long distances.

3m 15 seconds is an easy quick interval. But only if you keep in mind it is crude. High speeds isn't much of a problem. 13 knots is only 8 % bigger than 12 and would require also 8 % more lead. But if you mistake a 4 knots for a real speed of 5 knots your lead would be lacking by 25%. Not an issue at close range (see below). But it is for long range shots. Also, plotting when 16km away the uncertainty is atleast a 150m radius circle, bigger than the 100m for every knot. And since you have to deal with 2 such circles, think again. I usually use the 3m15 second interval to set a quick parallel course, and then plot for a longer time (i.e. multiples of 3m15s: 6m30s, 9m45s, 13m) without risking getting too close. Don't forget OLC included a nomograph tool on the map. (well, gwx has one too) It helps you to calculate speed for any time interval. Except it is a bit too short for long range intercepts. It's only for a couple of hours. So I never leave port without my Attackdisk.

The width of 1 degree is about 17.5 meters per kilometer. A ship being 78.5 meters long would be close to 4.5 degrees (78.5/17.5) at 1km, and 2.25 at 2km (since distant objects look inverse proportional smaller). A ship 140m long would be 8 degrees wide at 1km, and ofcourse 4 degrees at 2km, 2 degrees at 4km. You get the idea? Those are just the most common lengths I remember.

Or 1 degree is roughly 60 meters range per meter width (5% too much). Then the approximation of width-angle comes down to alpha=60*length/range (both in meters)
Roger that, thanks for explanation! All I need is a calculator now
Old 04-23-09, 04:49 PM   #129
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contact View Post
Hi Tomfon,

Thanks for sharing your experience. However I will try my own method in first place on my second patrol.. I will mark the first sight position, then will let the clock go for 3.15 min. Mark second position, this way I will get more or less accurate course and speed in one shot.

I will then use speed chart table to calculate the interception spot close enough to get decent AOB and Torpedo LOS!
Thats fine too. In the end, you will find your own way of doing these things in SH3. And thats the real fun, i believe. Keep on!
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-09, 07:52 PM   #130
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

I am having a problem with map contacts with olc.

I aint got none!!

I recently dusted off my copy of SH3 and decided to upgrade to GWX3 (it has been a while since I played SH3

Installations seemed to go ok

SH3
GWX3
New version of SH3 commander
OLC gold

No other mods

I set my realism just like I used to do in GWX2/olc

Limited Fuel deselected
No map contacts deselected
No event camera deselected
No Stabilize view deselected
No weapon officer assistance deselected

Everything else selected. Under my old configuration this gave me a realism rating of 80%. This time, however, it is up to 95%

The problem is when I play, I have no map updates. I have tired rebooting, selecting and deselecting No map contacts. No change.

When I select No map contacts the realism does not change. I don't remember this with my old version of GWX.

I tried using the world famous forum search function on this forum,but could not find any posts that addressed this

In my desperation, I even read the manuals!

Since I could not find anything that addresses this, I have come to the conclusion that I am doing something simple but wrong.

I uninstalled OLC and the problem went away. So what am I doing wrong with OLC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

How do I get my map contacts back?

Another question. Like I posted, it has been a while since I played SH3. Did war careers always start 1 Aug 39? I don't seem to remember that from my past play. Seems kinda weird to have to kill a month just to get to the sinkin stuff?
Old 04-26-09, 03:43 AM   #131
cemtufekci
Bosun

Downloads: 73

It's normal. It comes with OLC gui special. If you read the readme you will see. OLC thought that no map update is somewhat unrealistic because it makes you totally blind. When you zoom up you only sea sonar contacts and you can not sea your sub. When you zoom down you sea visual contacts and your sub but they are very inaccurate so you can not calculate solutions with them. In other words you still have to find solutions yourself. You see sonar contact lines which your sonarman report so you don't have to ask your sonarman manually every single minute. He tells you himself. When you are at the surface you will get inaccurate visual contacts on the map which tells about bearing and a little about range so you don't have to ask your watchman every single minute. This brings situational awareness without hindering realism.
cemtufekci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-09, 04:39 AM   #132
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemtufekci View Post
It's normal. It comes with OLC gui special. If you read the readme you will see. OLC thought that no map update is somewhat unrealistic because it makes you totally blind. When you zoom up you only sea sonar contacts and you can not sea your sub. When you zoom down you sea visual contacts and your sub but they are very inaccurate so you can not calculate solutions with them. In other words you still have to find solutions yourself. You see sonar contact lines which your sonarman report so you don't have to ask your sonarman manually every single minute. He tells you himself. When you are at the surface you will get inaccurate visual contacts on the map which tells about bearing and a little about range so you don't have to ask your watchman every single minute. This brings situational awareness without hindering realism.
Old 04-26-09, 06:27 PM   #133
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Ok, that takes care of my major concern. It is functioning as designed.

Phew! Thought I was doing something wrong

If using Map Contacts with OLC gives me inaccurate placements of the sighted ship's position, I can't just Mark time 3:15 Mark and get speed and course any more?

or they accurate for that?

Are there tutorials for the new OLC? I have the old tutorials but they did not address the new contact display in OLC.

I love OLC! I tried playing the game without it and it just does not seem the same. But with this new limited display you are forcing me to learn more about sub tactics.

Damn you!

Seriously has someone smart written a tutorial for this new gui display environment?
Old 04-26-09, 06:35 PM   #134
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemtufekci View Post
... If you read the readme you will see.
This just aint my day.

<hanging head in shame>

Where is this readme file? I have looking inside my SH3/mod/olc folders and even had my computer search for a readme but no avail.
Old 04-27-09, 04:11 AM   #135
cemtufekci
Bosun

Downloads: 73

You get sighting marks only when you are in zoomed out view( when you see map grids ) so your drawings from those will be inaccurate. You need an accurate course line in zoomed in view( like 1cm=100m ). You can't draw an accurate line in zoomed out view for your zoomed in needs so you have to draw lines from your own observations (or your watchman's).
OLC first uploaded OLC Gold without readmes. Then he uploaded it with readmes. If you get the old version you don't have the readmes like me. I don't know if they are the same with the latest ones or not but you can download OLC_Ubermod_243 from Ubertorpedos filefront link. It has the readmes about new gui. It tells about new contact updates since not very detailed. Though it is not necessary . There is'nt much to talk about it. Old tactics still count with some minor tweaks. Here is the link to ubertorpedos page: http://hosted.filefront.com/UberTorpedo
For your signature:
#2 Don't tell them their faults if it's not really very necessary for you.
#3 Don't tell them about your success.
cemtufekci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gold, gui, olc, olce2, ubermod