SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-05-09, 08:00 AM   #1
ExMachina
Sailor man

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default "Central" control vs director control in DG/Jutland?

Does the game differentiate between these two fire control systems? I'm sure it does but I cannot figure out how to tell which ships have it and which do not
ExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 02:55 AM   #2
Tanyrhiew
Watch

Downloads: 3
Default re

it does I believe, bullethead as peviously said that not all of the BB's had received their fire control at the time of the Battle so Agincourt/Westfalen et al will fire full broadsides unlike the fire control fitted ships.
Tanyrhiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 10:28 AM   #3
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

IIRC Central control would be more accurate at shorter ranges while Director fire is more accurate at long ranges as well.
Old 09-06-09, 11:14 AM   #4
ExMachina
Sailor man

Thanks.

If DG/Jutland does make allowances for the presence/absence of a director, is there any way for us (the gamer) to see if a particular ship is fitted w/ a director?
Old 09-06-09, 12:15 PM   #5
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExMachina View Post
Thanks.

If DG/Jutland does make allowances for the presence/absence of a director, is there any way for us (the gamer) to see if a particular ship is fitted w/ a director?
In the ship info screen, you can see what type of fire control it has.
Old 09-06-09, 12:29 PM   #6
ExMachina
Sailor man

all the ships i've looked at, the weapon mounts just say "central" (or "local")??

EDIT: ok, now i see the director is listed under "aiming system"--i knew i must be missing something obvious!

thanks
Old 09-06-09, 02:29 PM   #7
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
Does the game differentiate between these two fire control systems? I'm sure it does but I cannot figure out how to tell which ships have it and which do not
In DG, things are simpler. All guns are aimed by the gunners but some of them have the benefit of rudimentary range info and such. This mostly applies to the main and 2ndary guns of larger ships.

Things are more complicated in Jutland, which is where the aiming system terminology comes in. A ship like an RN dreadnought might have 3 different aiming systems used by different guns. The main battery will usually have a director aiming system, the 2ndaries often have central aiming system, and lighter weapons have local aiming systems. These differentiate between the amount of centralized, calculated firing data available to the guns.

It's a bit confusing, because you'll also see that some guns are shown as "centrally controlled" or "locally controlled". This has NOTHING to do with the aiming system, but with player inputs. If a weapon is "centrally controlled", it fires at the target chosen by the player and the cease fire order affects it. If the weapon is "locally controlled", it picks its own target and you can't make it stop shooting.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-09, 03:23 PM   #8
ExMachina
Sailor man

Bullethead, many thanks for the added clarification.

May I also suppose the damage model allows for a director system to be knocked out? If so, can a "central" aiming system also be damaged, and if so, what is the effect on centrally-controlled guns? Do they then become local?
Old 09-07-09, 09:27 PM   #9
Bullethead
Storm Eagle Studios

Quote:
May I also suppose the damage model allows for a director system to be knocked out? If so, can a "central" aiming system also be damaged, and if so, what is the effect on centrally-controlled guns? Do they then become local?
If you get a good hit on the conning tower, there's a chance the ship will lose its director and thereafter be "central". But things won't get any worse than that.
Bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote