SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-08-17, 01:02 PM   #16
Shadriss
A-ganger

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

MK48s don't use circle search patterns for that reason. As for Re-Attack, that's part of re-aquisition, which basically means it hasn't gone back into the full search mode yet, hence ACR is still cutout.

Now I should note here, before others do, that I am referring to standard MK48s here. ADCAPs use VERY different Own-Ship protection methods that I'm not gonna even touch here. Ones that don't deal with gyro angles at all, and hence have search patterns and such that allow them to come back towards the firing ship in such a way as they STILL would not attack it's firing platform.
IMF PACNORWEST
USS ALASKA (SSBN-732 GOLD)
USS ALABAMA (SSBN-731 GOLD)
NAVAL OCEAN PROCESSING FACILITY, WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734 GOLD)
Shadriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-17, 03:19 PM   #17
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

Well, ingame I'm pretty sure 100% of the occasions where people get killed by their own torp is when they fire at a close contact, torpedo gets decoyed and goes into reattack and acquires the firing ship. If ACR is cutout during the reacquisition phase, isn't this a feasible scenario?
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 12:37 AM   #18
jenrick
Bosun

Downloads: 28

Based on what our service/prior folks are saying there are significant safeguards in place to prevent that very occurrence. A simple hypothetical way the safety might function (again I have no clue how it actually works), a 30 degree cone in the direction of ownship is a no go. So if you fire on a contact on heading 000, even if the torpedo goes into search mode, anything it picks up on a true bearing of 165-195 it wouldn't pick up. Now there are certainly limitations to something as simple as this. What if you change course and are at 164 for instance? If you know that this is how the ACR protection works, you would work VERY hard to stay in this 30 degree cone.

I'd be willing to believe that our navy came up with a way to solve this problem, even if it involves some tactical procedures we are not privy too.

-Jenrick

Last edited by jenrick; 07-09-17 at 12:46 AM.
jenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-17, 08:06 AM   #19
shipkiller1
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 5

Where's my popcorn....
shipkiller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-17, 05:41 PM   #20
Shadriss
A-ganger

Downloads: 89

Regardless of how it's done RL, the real point here is that any more advanced weapon like the MK48 should not be homing in on it's firing platform... certainly not as often as it has been in the games I've played. There's a lot to like in this game, but the weapon performance is much to arcade-y for my tastes at the moment.
IMF PACNORWEST
USS ALASKA (SSBN-732 GOLD)
USS ALABAMA (SSBN-731 GOLD)
NAVAL OCEAN PROCESSING FACILITY, WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734 GOLD)
Shadriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-17, 12:20 PM   #21
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

I've had this happen and it sucked. But this morning before heading into work I was playing a little and heading back to base to rearm and refuel. got jumped by 3 subs and I'm unarmed... the first guy ended up killing himself! (Was able to run away for the other two...)