Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-20, 12:49 PM   #7066
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 12-17-20, 07:15 AM   #7067
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-17-20, 08:17 AM   #7068
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

Eisenwurst is online  
Old 12-17-20, 09:13 AM   #7069
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
It's so great to see you back in the forum, Vienna. I for one missed your musical breakdowns and analysis on equipment and musical artists.
Your analysis of Fender Squier Stratocastors is spot on. I know a great number of guitarists that purchased Squier Strocastors and used them as a basis for extensive modifications like putting humbucking dual pickups in the body and routing the body for a Floyd Rose bridge / tremolo system. The only difference is the Squiers were not built of Ash or Alder wood but rather of Basswood. I came across a rarity some years ago, An American made Fender Squir Stratocastor and immediately bought it. It plays as well as my American Standard and Strat Plus and Strat Ultra guitars.

I still think you get more bang for the buck with an Ibanez or ESP " Super Strat " electric guitar, though.

With regards to Stevie Ray Vaughan, He is still sorely missed many years after his passing.

Funny that you mention Ibanez; when Fender launched its Japanese Squier line back in the 80s, they farmed out the manufacturing to the same Japanese company that produced the Ibanez guitar line; this ma y account for the quality of the Japanese Squiers at the time; I know later Squiers were made with basswood bodies, but the one I had definitely has an ash body; when I first picked up the guitar in the store, I immediately noticed its weight; I later showed it to a friend of mine who was a fellow guitar player and an accomplished custom woodcrafter; he also noted the weight, so he removed the back plate and examined the exposed bare wood and was surprised to see it was ash; he also made me an offer to buy the guitar from me, although, as he said at the time, "I know it is was my guitar, I'd never sell it"...

I did get hold of a Mexican-made Squier years later, but the quality was not anywhere near the Japanese model I had; I've not really tried the more recent Korean or Chinese made Squier models...

When I was still an active player, I used to use an acoustic to warm up because I found my electric playgirl improved after working out on a thicker neck, more resistant acoustic; I've always thought the best electric players were also those who could exhibit a mastery of acoustic guitars; there actually are a surprising number of very impressive electric players who struggle somewhat with playing acoustics...

These two players never struggled with any acoustic, 6 or 12 string...

<O>
Old 12-17-20, 10:23 AM   #7070
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-17-20, 10:43 AM   #7071
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Funny that you mention Ibanez; when Fender launched its Japanese Squier line back in the 80s, they farmed out the manufacturing to the same Japanese company that produced the Ibanez guitar line; this ma y account for the quality of the Japanese Squiers at the time; I know later Squiers were made with basswood bodies, but the one I had definitely has an ash body; when I first picked up the guitar in the store, I immediately noticed its weight; I later showed it to a friend of mine who was a fellow guitar player and an accomplished custom woodcrafter; he also noted the weight, so he removed the back plate and examined the exposed bare wood and was surprised to see it was ash; he also made me an offer to buy the guitar from me, although, as he said at the time, "I know it is was my guitar, I'd never sell it"...

I did get hold of a Mexican-made Squier years later, but the quality was not anywhere near the Japanese model I had; I've not really tried the more recent Korean or Chinese made Squier models...

When I was still an active player, I used to use an acoustic to warm up because I found my electric playgirl improved after working out on a thicker neck, more resistant acoustic; I've always thought the best electric players were also those who could exhibit a mastery of acoustic guitars; there actually are a surprising number of very impressive electric players who struggle somewhat with playing acoustics...

These two players never struggled with any acoustic, 6 or 12 string...

<O>

Stevie Ray was just a once in a lifetime kind of player. In an age of bubblegum music and the backdrop of mindless singers and people masquerading as artists, Stevie's musical abilities continue to shine as aspiring players continue to study and emulate Stevie Ray's music style and approach. With " musical artists " putting out dance routines that resemble little more than 3rd rate lounge acts one would expect at a holiday Inn, Stevie was the real deal. Suffice to say, there will never be another Stevie Ray.

I think you have quite a find with an Ash bodied Squier. With a proper setup, they play well. On the other hand if you had someone like the late Roy Clark, Jerry Reed or Glen Campbell, people like that could have played a cardboard box with rubber bands and I'm sure still sounded good. That may well be an exaggeration but as most know, that's not really much of a stretch.

Oddly enough, a friend gave me a few of what is called a Rok axe as it is stamped on the head stocks. They are Strat copies and I scoffed upon seeing them. The electronics are terrible on them. The frets were also rather course in how they were finished. Upon tearing into one of them, I discovered it had also had an ash body. The guitar has since seen extensive modifications including medium jumbo frets, Floyd Rose Bridge/ trem, locking tuners and 2 humbucking pickups separated by a single coil pickup. It was refinished in a transparent sunburst finish. It looks great and plays even better.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 12-17-20 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-17-20, 11:21 AM   #7072
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-18-20, 03:53 AM   #7073
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Eisenwurst is online  
Old 12-18-20, 06:06 AM   #7074
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-18-20, 08:20 AM   #7075
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Old 12-18-20, 02:09 PM   #7076
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 12-18-20, 05:03 PM   #7077
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Nice cover..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 12-18-20, 05:14 PM   #7078
Catfish

Old 12-18-20, 05:42 PM   #7079
Catfish

"When iggy pop and courtney love has a love child that's adopted by marilyn Manson"

A bit astonished i do not even find this video disturbing anymore after what happened in and after 2016 (the new normal)

Last edited by Catfish; 12-18-20 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-18-20, 07:02 PM   #7080
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Eisenwurst is online  
Closed Thread

Tags
music