SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-10-20, 11:11 PM   #271
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

This reminds me of diving from a 100' board and filling the pool 3 secs before you hit.
Old 02-02-21, 02:40 PM   #272
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Going for another Starship launch.

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 03:09 PM   #273
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Here we are in the year 2021 with state of the art technology standing on the launch pad. I can't help but think how very similar they look to the rocket ships in those classic 1950's-60's sci-fi movies.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 03:36 PM   #274
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ this
Using 'rockets'.. in a gravitation well like 'earth' it makes sense to get to more than 11,000 km/second for an escape velocity, unless you do not want to waste unnecessary amounts of fuel (whatever you use) to escape more slowly, or even hover.
For landing (and leaving), fuel spent is most effective the closer you are to the gravitation well, so it makes sense to do it like SpaceX does. Not that this insight is especially new, but computers make all this a lot easier.
Regarding 'starlink' and the like, i think this is not a good idea with all the debris already blocking orbits.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-21, 03:40 PM   #275
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Calling Dr. Zarkov, calling Dr. Zarkov crash in aisle 9.

Old 02-02-21, 03:50 PM   #276
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Man, that's gotta be getting expensive.

No change from what I could see. May be time to consider parachutes?
Old 02-02-21, 04:40 PM   #277
Catfish

There's so much money from Tesla.. oh.. wait ..

Parachutes still make sense, for emergency in the dense earth atmosphere, but also for deceleration done for free (fuel-wise), before the final touchdown 'softened' with deceleration boosters. An exact landing point is a problem as long as the parachutes cannot be trimmed; those adjustable breaking spoilers are a good idea, but too small.

OT:
I wonder why no one has mentioned Orangopoid in the last four years

Old 02-02-21, 05:57 PM   #278
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

These prototype hulls are designed and tested with a Martian atmosphere in mind. The belly flop method and wings are meant to produce a certain amount of aerodynamic drag to help slow the vehicle down then retro-rockets can do the rest for a soft landing.

Parachutes are used on smaller probes sent to mars. Specially designed to withstand deployment at super sonic speeds and hopefully not tear apart. On top of that they still have to jettison the chute before retro-rockets are activated. Might be that attempting to design a chute large enough, and strong enough, able to withstand supersonic speeds for something the size of SN9 is just simply out of the question.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-02-21 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-02-21, 06:13 PM   #279
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Aw, there you go...

...using logic, again... ...

<O>
Old 02-03-21, 03:16 AM   #280
Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Aw, there you go...
...using logic, again... ...
......<O>
Hopeless

The gliding path within an atmosphere having less pressure than on this planet will be steeper than shown in the test vids. But as long as a planet has an atmosphere, it can be used for breaking. The thinner it is, the less usable, on the other hand it will not tear a chute apart that easily.
This ship is bigger than the self-landing thrusters alright, why not use the heat shielding first, then brake flaps, then a bundle of small chutes adding to the break flaps for mid-term deceleration, and the landing thrusters to be applied as late as possible.
The idea to brake and adjust position with a glide is genius, but you need this swing around manoeuver.
I wonder if this tumble comes due too late/low altitude (not enough time for proper stabilisation and deceleration), or if the problem is some mass shift in the tanks during this swing-around, and/or oscillation.

Last edited by Catfish; 02-03-21 at 03:32 AM.
Old 02-03-21, 05:34 AM   #281
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I really don't know or understand why there is so much nay-saying about Space X's recent crash landing in terms of it being a catastrophic failure and possibly dooming Space X efforts for further space travel; just go back and look at all the footage of rocket development over the decades and see just how many crashes, launch pad explosions, etc., there were in the past; Goddard had a whole slew of failures before he got a fully workable concept; Von Braun, in his work during WW2 for Germany and later for the US space program, logged a goodly share of hiss own "ouchies"; there was once a sort of "best of" compilation of Von Braun's greatest V2 misses:

While Space X is not really starting from scratch and is building upon the technologies of prior designs, they are actually breaking serious new ground in aerospace advancement; the idea of launching a rocket, having it fly, and then landing it safely was, indeed, the stuff of science fiction and Saturday matinees/comic strips, but Space X, in an impressively short span of time from inception to success, has made it a now near normal reality, while other competing private aerospace efforts are still only launching single use boosters; a comment was made earlier about the expense of such failure as the recent Space X landing attempt; the same was said of the failures of Space X's earliest attempts to develop reusable boosters, but they did ultimately succeed and have now reduced the cost of per flight launches and payload delivery sufficiently to, moving forward, amortize the expenses of the failures, and, with continued steady success, they have placed themselves as the go-to, if not 'gold standard' of the aerospace industry...

One thing i must say about Space X and Elon Musk: say what you will about Musk as a person, but it is incredibly impressive that one person could have overseen and accomplished, in so short a time, the degree of success that he has; he is certainly an oddball and someone a normal person might steer clear of, but, damn it if he didn't pull it off while others, including heavily financed government efforts, are still stuck in a "launch 'em and lose 'em" booster cycle; Musk, and his various entrepreneurial projects, have been more than successful, even when it may seem on their face to be 'failures'; Tesla may not be the most successful of automotive companies, but by advancing the technology, even to the point of 'open sourcing' a lot of his developments to the auto industry in general, has moved human transportation further than anyone else has in decades; he may be a kook, but, then so were Hughes and Tesla and Edison, etc., etc.,...

I have little doubt the type of landing the Starship was attempting will be stuck and I have very little doubt Space X and Musk will be the first to do it...

<O>
Old 02-03-21, 06:10 AM   #282
Catfish

radar

They will succeed, i'm sure.

Old 02-03-21, 12:59 PM   #283
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

^ so when ya gonna volunteer BBY

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-21, 01:29 PM   #284
Catfish

^ I am stranded here anyway, and even with volunteering this gets me nowhere - and no one will let "me".
Those are still rockets going through their evolution, not yet space "ships" by any standard. This crash is only a mishap with others following, but the faster data processing systems get, the easier it gets.. leaving the qubit range will change a lot of things, and a change in political and "currency" systems will be self-evident.
There are also other private ventures developing smaller rocket systems, but they do not get much attention yet.
To leave this planet and get away in the long run, this is a good "makeshift" project, and necessary. I hope Musk can get on without going bankrupt. I do not know enough of him, but he succeeds, and is fast enough to see the next generation.

Old 02-08-21, 11:42 AM   #285
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Next one coming soon, https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-sta...ch-plans-asap/

I hope they get it right. Seems like they should do all the flips and burns a little higher off the ground to allow for mistakes and adjustments.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nasa, rockets, science, space x, spacex, starlink