Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-24-23, 11:59 AM   #316
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
The Bank of England will "totally crash the economy" if they continue to keep interest rates at their current levels, an economist warns. On Thursday, the Bank announced that it will raise borrowing costs for an eleventh successive time to 4.25 percent from 4 percent.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...b7e461f9&ei=10

Inflation is a hydra with many heads to chop off, and when you cut off one, two new are growing. Damned if you do and damned if you dont.

We now get the bill served for the past 15 and 50 years, for the ECB and the FED are in the same situation.

Either we junkies go on cold turkey - or we face continued addiction until the golden shot. Its not gonna be nice either way. The situation will be abused further by using it to push and finally enforce cashlessness, what will make evertyhing worse and people way more vulnerable and weak towards the state. Any many even want it this way, and think thats cool.

The blind show the stupids the way.
Old 03-24-23, 12:30 PM   #317
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Add to the above the growing numbers in France demanding Frexit and the cancellation of King Charles visit to said country.

Happy times ahead it would appear.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-23, 05:50 AM   #318
Skybird
Soaring

The financial markets are hatching something; there can no longer be any doubt about that.

https://www-focus-de.translate.goog/..._x_tr_pto=wapp
Old 03-29-23, 06:15 AM   #319
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

One thing for certain is the fact that the rich will get richer and the poor will become poorer.

Old 03-30-23, 03:52 AM   #320
Skybird
Soaring

«The West is far too optimistic when it comes to India» - The Indian economic historian Ashoka Mody has written a book: It is an impressive reckoning with 75 years of politics in his homeland. A conversation about current and former Indian politicians and the mistakes the West is caught in.

https://www.nzz.ch/international/ind...&_x_tr_sl=auto
Old 03-30-23, 06:06 AM   #321
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Register for free and read on.

Old 03-30-23, 10:30 AM   #322
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Someone posted this on a friends wall

I found it interesting I can't say how much of it is true.

Quote:
The biggest collapse we have ever seen is underway. And we have politicians and national banks to thank for that, because they are the ones who have created this situation.
As we know, the dollar as the world's reserve currency is not backed by gold, but by confidence, trade and trade in world oil.

The dollar has lost confidence because the US and the West are using it as a weapon to ostracise other economies around the world.
Trade in oil they are also losing because Russia, China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, India, Brazil, Venezuela have started trading in their own currencies.

And that means goodbye and thank you to the dollar. So dollar as the world's reserve currency is collapsing. And because every currency is pegged to the dollar, the collapse cannot be stopped.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-23, 10:33 AM   #323
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Register for free and read on.
So they hid it again. NZZ does that, often. Thats why I used to post the translated full text in the past, but the managment said it is not happy with that anymore.

Edit. I tried the link I gave, and it still works for me. Problem must be due to localization issues.
Old 03-30-23, 01:40 PM   #324
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
So they hid it again. NZZ does that, often. Thats why I used to post the translated full text in the past, but the managment said it is not happy with that anymore.

Edit. I tried the link I gave, and it still works for me. Problem must be due to localization issues.
Yes I think so

Old 03-30-23, 01:50 PM   #325
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

I like how we're already sleep walking as if 2020 never happened.

ET2SN is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-23, 05:37 AM   #326
Skybird
Soaring

This is the article on Indian economy I tried to link above, and how it gets massively overestimated by the West. We sometimes argue that India is our "ally" in blocking China and Chinese infleunce and eocnoimic dominance, but honestly said, I am sceptical about that, very. The economic status quo from which to advance is way more positive and advanced for China than for India, despite China's growing demographic problem. I also see India abusing the West's naivety for its own agenda, turning India into a Western money grave. I think its relevant and important that we realise these things in the West. India could cause another major wakeup call to global economy soon, the turmoils form which can be quote devastating. And almost nobody in the West expects it, all see only the opportunity and short term profits and the chance, or better the unfounded hope, to just continue with the old golden ways and methods - but not the immense inbuild structural risk that cannot be evaded.

"The West is far too optimistic when it comes to India"

Indian economic historian Ashoka Mody has written a book: It's a powerful reckoning with 75 years of politics in his homeland. A conversation about current and former Indian politicians and the mistakes the West has made.

Mr. Mody, your book is called India Is Broken. Is India really broken?

The problem is, and that was the reason for writing this book: In the past 75 years since independence, we in India have failed to meet the demand for jobs. The backlog of that demand has continued to grow. According to my calculations, the Indian economy will need 200 million jobs in the next ten years to employ its working-age population. Over the past decade, job growth has been zero or negative. The Indian economy has not produced jobs. And is thus fundamentally broken.

What about the politics?

There is a government failure. Essential public services like education, health care, a functioning judicial system, quality of water and air - all these are hardly delivered. There is a dichotomy in India: on the one hand, world-class education and health care for the privileged. On the other hand, very poor education and health care for the vast majority.

Reading your book, one gets the impression that in 75 years since Indian independence, no politician has really cared about the well-being of the population.

Yes, that's the case; it's a big theme in my book. Almost every politician paid lip service to the Indian masses, but no one delivered. They ignored the interests of the masses. And now we see this shocking unemployment in the country.

East Asian countries like Japan and later South Korea and Taiwan experienced an economic miracle. Why did industrialization fail in India?

India focused on developing heavy industry in the 1950s. This focus created few jobs. Light and labor-intensive industries did not develop. This was different from Japan and South Korea or Taiwan. These countries differed in two main ways: They had early universal primary education and brought women into the workforce. Simply put, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan created jobs in light industry, were more productive thanks to education, started a dynamic of increasingly educated and healthier successor generations, exported - and grew.

Why hasn't India invested more in education?

Creating good education is hard work. It's not just about building a school. You have to have good teachers. The teachers have to actually show up for work. Children need to be healthy and well nourished to absorb the material. Success takes time and a culture of cooperation and trust between all the political players: if you do your part, I'll do mine, and in five years there may be good results. Because many people are involved, it is difficult to link success to a single politician. So it's not worthwhile for that single politician to invest in education. It is easier for him to inaugurate a highway. Because this is visible.

Last year, the government announced that it would not participate in the Pisa study for the second time - in the last measurement in 2009, Indian schoolchildren were ranked second to last. Does Indian education have a quality problem?

Yes, since the 1990s, almost all children attend elementary school. But the quality of education is still poor. The biggest problem is the quality of teachers. It's a system that has become increasingly corrupt: teachers are now relatively well paid in India, so many want this job. But to become a teacher, you need a certificate. Many local politicians use bribes to obtain a license to certify teachers. Students pay these politicians a lot of money to get the certificate, even though the quality of education is poor. These students become teachers who are happy with their jobs but have no real training or incentive to teach. Everyone benefits, only the students suffer.

Next year, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will have been in power for ten years. He came into office as an economic reformer - in his home state of Gujarat, he had ensured an economic upswing. How do you assess the years under Modi?

Narendra Modi was celebrated for the so-called Gujarat model. The problem was that there was little research on what this model actually brought. Gujarat had high economic growth because the sub-state subsidized large companies. So a lot of entrepreneurs were happy. But did this model create jobs on a large scale? Or improved education? None of the above. So is it surprising that we see the same deficits now at the national level?

And yet, India's economy is growing; according to the government, gross domestic product rose by more than nine percent last year. Commentators close to the government speak of historic growth figures.

India's GDP fell after the first covid wave, recovered, and then collapsed again after the second wave. The cited growth came after that slump. GDP is not growing, it is recovering.

How big is the growth actually?

Over the past three years, the economy has grown by an average of 3.5 percent per year - about the same as before Covid. The government derives medium-term growth figures based on the recovery phase, which is misleading. International agencies make the same mistake. There is similar blind optimism about digitalization in India, for example the Unified Payments Interface introduced by the government - almost everywhere in India you can now pay with your cell phone. That's good. But this success leads to the hope that technology will solve all problems: be it by means of e-learning for children or apps for health workers. But history shows that technology is never a substitute for human development. And we still don't have it. In the last national budget, the share of spending on health and education fell once again.

In your book, you write about India's first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru. He built dams and steel mills in the 1950s; he wanted to take India forward with a "big push." Today, Modi's government measures itself by airports and highways built. Are we seeing Modi's "big push" right now?

The "big push" is a very seductive economic strategy because it creates visible structures that a politician can celebrate as successes. But economic development happens at the deepest level, and its factors are harder to see. It needs norms of what is right and what is wrong in private and public life; willingness to cooperate and commitment. Let me give you an example: There are three huge garbage dumps here in Delhi, one of them in Ghazipur. The garbage burned there for the first time in 1992. So there is a mountain of garbage in this city that has been burning on and off for thirty years. The measures to solve the problem are known, but no one takes responsibility. Instead, we talk about possible semiconductor production in India.

Western diplomats and entrepreneurs often only want to see the one India: the one with rapid digitization.

Many Indians can now pay by smartphone, many work online, it all sounds very glamorous. But further down the income scale, it only plays a minimal role. For the vast majority of Indians, the reality is living with a burning landfill. Or with polluted, dying rivers. Digitization will not solve India's core problems.

Is the West too optimistic when it comes to India?

Much too optimistic. I think the world is fundamentally wrong here. Today, India is said to be geopolitically important. Perhaps that explains the glorified view of the West. But I'll make a prediction: Even in the metrics that the world can see and measure, the luster will peel off India in the next three years. And what about the metrics the world doesn't see? I fear India's problems will only get worse there.

You mention geopolitics: The West is moving away from China, and India wants to benefit. Is India becoming the new China?

Those who say so are mistaken. At least when it comes to the economy. I say it simply: China has many problems, but China has an excellent education system. China is ready for the 21st century, India is not. Some manufacturers are turning away from China, Apple producers Foxconn and Wistron are building new factories in India. But their share of total production is marginal. Most manufacturers are moving from China to Vietnam; American manufacturers are going to Mexico.

Can India close the gap with China?

Not while I'm alive. China and India are totally different countries: material progress in China is based on the provision of public goods. I keep coming back to my core message: If there is no progress in human development, there can be no sustainable economic growth. This gap is forgotten by politicians in India. Closing it will take time and a lot of effort, which I do not see at present.

In 1951, at the first census, India had 360 million people. Today, there are 1.4 billion. A recurring motif in Indian history is the "angry young man," the frustrated unemployed young man. How is the "angry young man" doing today?

Since the 1970s, the "angry young man" has existed in movies, but also in real life. In real life, the "angry young man" has learned that the state is very strong: when there were major protests, the state always cracked down with a very heavy hand. The "angry young man" also became a criminal - he saw no alternative and joined organized crime. And the "angry young man" became the foot soldier of Hindu nationalism, Hindutva.

The state did not provide jobs, but an ideology?

The Hindutva message is very powerful, it is very old, and it stirs up strong emotions. The German legal philosopher Carl Schmitt wrote in 1932 of the friend-enemy distinction in politics - us versus them. And what a powerful, unifying message that can be. That's what we're seeing again in India today.

India flirted with authoritarianism back in the 1970s, when Prime Minister Indira Gandhi declared a state of emergency. Now India again has a prime minister with authoritarian traits.

Indian elites have always hoped that an authoritarian figure would make their lives better. I think the Indian elite are afraid of the Indian masses. Where things go from here is hard to gauge. There remains hope for the wisdom of the Indian electorate, and that they will come out in favor of democracy. But the Hindutva forces are very strong at the moment. We should not close our eyes to that.

Are you actually optimistic about India?

I am not optimistic about India today. The living conditions of hundreds of millions of Indians are precarious. And I don't see anyone in politics addressing these problems. I read a lot, including in the international media, about how well India is doing at the moment. This gap between presentation and reality makes me even more pessimistic. Because it means the big problems are not being addressed.

In your book, you say that democracy has betrayed the Indian people. How?

It has not given them the opportunity to live honorable, decent lives. India's cities are among the most polluted in the world. Citizens wait years for a judge to hear their case.

They demand a new political culture.

Successful democracies have good institutionalized norms and accountability. Usually, these norms originated in small local communities - such a structure tends to create cooperation and trust. In our country, these norms have eroded. We need to rebuild them, in the villages and the districts, and hope that this political culture will be carried to higher levels of government. If we don't create a civil society consciousness and embed it in the politics and structures of the country - then all the problems we've been talking about will keep coming back.

Why has this civil society consciousness eroded since independence?

That's a good question; I don't know the exact answer. But I think part of the problem is that progress has always been understood as a centralized "big push," not a team effort of an entire society. Bad economic policy is just a mirror of bad political culture. The two are lapsed together.

Ashoka Mody
Economist grew up in India, where he also studied. He later worked for the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF). The 67-year-old is Visiting Professor of International Economic Policy at the elite U.S. university of Princeton and has since become an American citizen. His book "India Is Broken - A People Betrayed" was published at the beginning of the year.
Old 04-04-23, 02:33 PM   #327
Skybird
Soaring

LINK: For citizens it gets dangerous if there is no more cash money.

The war against cash money is a crime against man and liberty. If there is no cash money, man is utmost vulnerable, depending on and at the mercy of political godfathers. He can be theratend and sancitoned like today already is done with Chinese social scoring systems.

And future state crimes such as the allocation of CO2 accounts to each citizen, which if exhausted will result in them being sanctioned or the payment process being cancelled, are made possible in the first place by cashlessness and the digital linking of the credit card and the receipt with the listed items.

The state could also gag you if you are cirticla of it, by blocking xyour banking account. You then are unable to buy even the kost profind necessities of daiuly life. You canbot escape by buying a plane ticket.

And still many people just shrug their shoulders and do not get it and do notcare. I don't get it what is wrong with people. They just grin and say "its sexy", "its comfortable" (well, is it?), "it serves a good cause of fighting money laundering" (thats wrong), "its so adult to pay with plastic" (that argument proves better than any other how infantile the speaker is). Has TV and media hysteria on a thousand of oh so important topics completely lobotomized people?

Quote:
Prior to the introduction of the euro, Italy unceremoniously took a few per thousand of all bank deposits and transferred them to the state treasury, with the push of a button - bang! The state was thus able to access billions, and the citizens did not even notice this during the currency changeover. This general amputation of all bank deposits was a beacon for me. During the banking crisis in Cyprus in 2013, the gods of Western finance - the International Monetary Fund, the ECB, the EU Commission - wanted all customer deposits in Cypriot banks to be converted into shares in those banks. In other words, they wanted to expropriate all depositors and savers. The outcry against this outrageous act was too great, and the plan was not implemented. But the case shows that the highest monetary authorities are not afraid to resort to drastic measures. Governments have the power to take away, confiscate and tax bank assets.
Cashless payment is the new method with which the powerful try to put all free citizens in invisible chains. And what do most people do? They shrug their shoulders. They grin.

Retarded idiots.

Not before it has been completely stripped of them, people will realise they value of liberty. But then it is too late, and they will need to spend their life in serfdom and servility and obedience.
Old 04-09-23, 07:15 PM   #328
Skybird
Soaring

Very well described and explained. Especially the last part from 01:01:20 on is speaking from my heart ("What goes wrong in Germany").

Knallhart Klartext gesprochen. And he is right.

Use English subtitles. The final statements in the last ten minutes are worth it, they are glorious. I sense this man is at least as furious as I am.

The rest before also is very, very good. He knows the matter he talks of.

Last edited by Skybird; 04-09-23 at 07:43 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-23, 06:36 AM   #329
Skybird
Soaring

Once again, Markus Krall - one of the very, very, very few actually intelligent economic experts we still have at all. The trained monkeys that the state media present to us are just that: propaganda puppets who are supposed to take the masses for fools so that they keep quiet while they fall into the abyss.

Its not about things still to come. Things already have started, they happen right now.
Old 04-11-23, 09:50 AM   #330
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Financial stability risks have increased rapidly as the resilience of the global financial system has been tested by higher inflation and fragmentation risks.

https://www.imf.org/en/Publications/...-GFSREA2023001

Quote:
Chapter 1 analyzes the recent turmoil in the banking sector and the challenges posed by the interaction between tighter monetary and financial conditions and the buildup in vulnerabilities since the global financial crisis. The emergence of stress in financial markets complicates the task of central banks at a time when inflationary pressures are proving to be more persistent than anticipated. Smaller and riskier emerging markets continue to confront worsening debt sustainability trends. Chapter 2 examines nonbank financial intermediaries (NBFIs) and the vulnerabilities that can emerge from elevated leverage, liquidity mismatches, and high levels of interconnectedness. Tools to tackle the financial stability consequences of NBFI stress are proposed, underscoring that direct access to central bank liquidity could prove necessary in times of stress, but implementing appropriate guardrails is paramount. Chapter 3 analyzes the effect of geopolitical tensions on financial fragmentation and explores their implications for financial stability—including through potential capital flow reversals, disruptions of cross-border payments, impact on banks’ funding costs, profitability, and credit provision, and more limited opportunities for international risk diversification. Based on the findings, it draws policy recommendations aimed at strengthening financial oversight, building larger buffers, and enhancing international cooperation.
Full report: https://www.imf.org/-/media/Files/Pu...lish/text.ashx

Quote:
Rising geopolitical tensions have intensified con- cerns about global economic and financial fragmen- tation. Geopolitical tensions have increased globally over the past few years amid deteriorating diplomatic ties between the United States and China, and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.1 This increase is reflected in the growing incidence of geopolitical threats and con- flicts, a rise in military spending across economies, and increased disagreement in the voting behavior of the United States and China on foreign policy issues in the United Nations (Figure 3.1). The escalation in geopolitical tensions has raised concerns about greater geoeconomic fragmentation—a policy-driven reversal of economic and financial integration, often guided by strategic considerations (Aiyar and others 2023)—that could be costly for the world economy.2

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote