Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-09-13, 05:19 AM   #16
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Why build above ground? Get a bunker.

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 07:06 AM   #17
Herr-Berbunch
Kaiser Bill's batman

Downloads: 76
Uploads: 0

All sounds good, the garage obviously needs to fit a limo, and you need some doors that people can see.

And you don't need a guest room, but some kind of dorm-block for the meet.
Old 10-09-13, 08:31 AM   #18
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

No, there won't be room in this abode for dorms, but I can provide camp ground
Old 10-09-13, 11:01 AM   #19
kraznyi_oktjabr
Sea Lord

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
No, there won't be room in this abode for dorms, but I can provide camp ground
C'on Neal! I'm confident there will be enough real estate for small scale (Marine) barracks for next SubSim meet.
Old 10-09-13, 11:05 AM   #20
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Alla en el rancho subsim....

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 11:08 AM   #21
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarJak View Post
Neal,

I suggest you also get some steps installed so you don't need a ladder to get to the front door.
That would only encourage visitors.

but that's the way to do it, buy some dirt in a nice location and build. I should have done that back when I was single.

Every once in a while I drool over the Log Homes catalogs. That would be sweet.

Good luck with these plans.
Old 10-09-13, 12:30 PM   #22
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Don't forget to make sure you have the right to pass over other people's property to get to your own. I forget the legal term for it, but around here it has to be renewed every five years.

I bought a piece of property off the grid about 1 and 1/3 acre and lived on it for three or four months, but when winter came I decided to move into town.

While I was living in town someone came along and bought both pieces of property on either side of me and then tried to buy mine from me so he could have a super nice parcel of land to build his cabin on. When I would not sell he informed me that I could no longer use the two roads that travelled through his property to get to mine. I then asked if I could park at the bottom and walk up and he said, "No".

The walk up to mine was to steep to drive or walk so to make a long story short I sold him my parcel, it's now worth three times more than it was seven years ago.

Make sure you have the right of way and mineral rights too and don't think a survey is too expensive an item to include.

Hope I can save you some grief ...
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 01:23 PM   #23
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr-Berbunch View Post
the garage obviously needs to fit a limo,
For when Jim comes over.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 01:37 PM   #24
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
A cult? Near Waco-we'll all be Branch ONKELIANS AS to the stairwell of the proposed 'land yacht'; look into a corner stairs with alternate uneven half steps to conserve space. Only 6' sg. My Bro-inlaw, a skilled carpenter, built one in his small custom house in Mass. and its REAL COOL ...just be sober coming down! What happen to Austria?
Austria was out when I was warned I could not strut about bragging about being a Texan.
Old 10-09-13, 02:17 PM   #25
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Hire an easement, eminent domain or 'right of way' Attourney. Generally it cannot be denied as it is grandfatherd in. No hearing officer will put up with it as it lowers the value of your property (access) and that pisses off the county assessor.

Thank you, but it was seven years ago and I was too poor to hire an attorney. I paid cash and he paid me cash and what the heck lesson learned the hard way. Now I like electric power and even though I was debt free gas is $3.85 a gal now and I needed two gallons a day for the generator plus water, plus fire wood plus trips to the store 20 miles away.

But thank you for your good advice ... I just got bullied is all.

Check out these cabins: http://www.pinterest.com/abinonsekiz/cabins/
Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 02:48 PM   #26
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello Neal,
and i thought you had plans for the Netherlands err Austria ?

Nice house anyway, sad it was gone but there sure are lots of others! We have built a timber-frame (?) house in Germany, but very modern in a lot of ways. It is not ready yet after almost 6 years, but it is much fun working on it and seeing improvements and progress.

How warm is it in the area you want to settle ?

We first intended to install a 'Blockheizkraftwerk' (how do you translate that, a "block heating powerhouse" ? lol). It is generally an engine that produces electricity, and heats water as a by-product via exhaust-heat-exchanger. You can even earn money with it here if you direct electricity into the public grid with it. You can alternatively produce your own current as an 'island solution' , but then the engine would have to run as soon as you need current. Not necessary here, but nice to have in case of the inevitable Zombie apocalypse (ahem).
You can run it with fuel, propane or natural gas when you use a normal engine, or alternatively a Diesel that can also be run with castor or any plant oil. You just need other jet-nozzles, and a changed controlling device.

Unfortunately for such an engine you really need a block of several houses to heat, or at least a very big and/or badly insulated home for the engine in order to run long enough. In our case, we soon realized it did not make sense unless we had a heated driveway to melt snow, and an open swimming pool (the latter being heated to 20 degrees Celsius in winter).

So we installed a usual cheap combi gas heater, for water and heating. It is supported by some sun-collectors mounted on the southern part of the roof, and an iron-cast oven with water jacket, that can be fired with wood. The latter became much too complicated, as it heats too much and thus needs regulators, an overflow gully and valves to fill it up again.

A further problem is the heating pump is electric, so the central heating system would fail in case of a power-out, but i take it the temperature and water would be agreeable enough, with the oven.
The internet would also fail but we even saw to that, but this is another story (internal 2nd 12 V grid, engine and batteries).
I am sure we will never need that all though, but it is much fun

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish

P.S. and thanks for the mail

Last edited by Catfish; 10-09-13 at 03:01 PM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-13, 03:47 PM   #27
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Howdy Catfish, awesome that the mail has already made it there That was fast.

Well, it really does not get cold here, probably only gets to -2 once or twice a year, and only as low as 4~6 for a week or two. Mostly the winter here is 7+.

The land I was looking at did not have a house yet. I included that image as an example of what I want to build. I am now back to the stage of looking for land... it will probably take a while.

I agree, the building aspect is a lot of work but also fun and gratifying. I have done some of this before. I will have a contractor pour the foundation and build the frame and roof, then I will hang the windows, doors, add trim, walls, and sheetrock, etc. as I have time.
Old 10-09-13, 04:28 PM   #28
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello Neal,
the mail was indeed here the day before yesterday

It can get bitterly cold here in winter, but also very warm in summer.
Don't know what that is in Fahrenheit, but we have up to 35 degrees Celsius in (hot) summer, and down to -20 Celsius in (hard) winters.
Last winter and this summer matched those numbers .. so heating is a serious issue.

I like the style of the house you posted, very nice and roomy, but not too big to maintain. There would be a nice place for a veranda (?) in front of that door ..

Unfortunately the landscape here is quite flat, and even if there are some smaller lakes and tiny 'rivers' around, there is nothing to see from our house being withinthe woods.
The house is also grounded on a concrete foundation, but they 'forgot' some part, some timber sill frame already sitting partly on nosthing but air,
and we had to pour the rest of the concrete ourselves, later linking the new part to the old one via stainless steel anchors - threw us back 3 months in working time.
Anyway for us it is much fun, even we did not have much money when we began. Doing a lot yourself is not only financially rewarding, thinking of the 'quality' some hired workers do at times ..

Good luck, maybe we can have a housebuilding thread at some time, with lots of pictures

Thanks and greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home