Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-17, 09:39 PM   #3286
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Wow, CNN. Can't take it, don't dish it out.

How CNN found the Reddit user behind the Trump wrestling GIF

Quote:
The apology came after CNN's KFile identified the man behind "HanA**holeSolo." Using identifying information that "HanA**holeSolo" posted on Reddit, KFile was able to determine key biographical details, to find the man's name using a Facebook search and ultimately corroborate details he had made available on Reddit.

CNN is not publishing "HanA**holeSolo's" name because he is a private citizen who has issued an extensive statement of apology, showed his remorse by saying he has taken down all his offending posts, and because he said he is not going to repeat this ugly behavior on social media again. In addition, he said his statement could serve as an example to others not to do the same.

CNN reserves the right to publish his identity should any of that change.
Man, that's really messed up. All that over a silly meme.

Quote:
After posting his apology, "HanA**holeSolo" called CNN's KFile and confirmed his identity. In the interview, "HanA**holeSolo" sounded nervous about his identity being revealed and asked to not be named out of fear for his personal safety and for the public embarrassment it would bring to him and his family.
Haha, sounds like a lot of Internet warriors, when their mask of anonymity is pulled off they turn into little girls
Old 07-05-17, 08:11 AM   #3287
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

It seems Trump isn't the only person with a less than stellar grasp of US history and the nation's foundations:

NPR Tweeted Declaration Of Independence, And Trump Supporters Flipped Out --

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...ushpmg00000313

Declaration of Independence tweets confuse Donald Trump supporters --

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...mp-supporters/

NPR tweeted the Declaration of Independence, and things got kind of awkward --

http://theweek.com/speedreads/709998...t-kind-awkward

Declaration of Independence: NPR Tweets Prompt Trump Opponents Into Talk of Revolution --

http://www.newsweek.com/anti-trump-r...-tweets-631942

Well, you do realize, if the document was tweeted out by NPR, it must be a "fake document"...

<O>
Old 07-05-17, 08:18 AM   #3288
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

The creator of the .gif may have buckled and apologized but I believe he did so under duress. In otherwords CNN threatened him in to doing so. He probably is underage and still lives with his parents, poor kid. Personally I thought the .gif was hilarious.

I say we start taking contributions for this kids lawsuit against CNN. Seems CNN can dish it out but cant take it.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 07-05-17, 08:41 AM   #3289
vienna
Navy Seal

Actually, CNN was doing what any other major corporation or concern would do in a such a case, regardless of political inclination; whoever created the GIF used the CNN logo, a violation of trademark rights under the law and CNN is within its right to demand what is basically a "cease and desist" regarding the GIF. This is done all the time, in all kinds of situations, mainly for the protection of trademark rights and to firmly establish the extents of those rights; not actually actively enforcing those rights can lead to a sort of assumption of a form of analogy similar to a "grant of easement" in real estate laws; if you don't scrupulously enforce your rights in all cases, you stand to lose some of the ability to enforce those rights. There is also the issue of the possibility of the creator of the GIF being able to profit in some way from the distribution of the GIF with the CNN trademark attached, or the possibility of as even more egregious use made of the work which may adversely affect CNN. Whoever made the GIF is getting off easy: there has been no material damage done as of now and his potential liability is lessened by his acceptance of the CNN complaint...

<O>
Old 07-05-17, 09:33 AM   #3290
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

I think that CNN's on air faux outrage at Trumps' tweets and other stuff is somewhat disingenuous. They should be thanking him at least once a day, every day.

Quote:
CNN hit a ratings milestone this quarter, with the network posting its most-watched second quarter on record in total viewers, and its best second quarter among adults 25-54 in 14 years (since 2Q 2003) in Total Day. In prime time (M-Su and M-F), CNN averaged its highest 2Q delivery since 2003 (in both total viewers and among 25-54). During daytime (9am-4pm), CNN had its highest quarterly 25-54 delivery since 4Q 2008 and second highest total viewers level since 1Q 2003.
http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/20...ter-on-record/

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online  
Old 07-05-17, 10:36 AM   #3291
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Actually, CNN was doing what any other major corporation or concern would do in a such a case, regardless of political inclination; whoever created the GIF used the CNN logo, a violation of trademark rights under the law and CNN is within its right to demand what is basically a "cease and desist" regarding the GIF. This is done all the time, in all kinds of situations, mainly for the protection of trademark rights and to firmly establish the extents of those rights; not actually actively enforcing those rights can lead to a sort of assumption of a form of analogy similar to a "grant of easement" in real estate laws; if you don't scrupulously enforce your rights in all cases, you stand to lose some of the ability to enforce those rights. There is also the issue of the possibility of the creator of the GIF being able to profit in some way from the distribution of the GIF with the CNN trademark attached, or the possibility of as even more egregious use made of the work which may adversely affect CNN. Whoever made the GIF is getting off easy: there has been no material damage done as of now and his potential liability is lessened by his acceptance of the CNN complaint...

<O>

Trademark infringement, really? where did you see that? Im no lawyer but I'm not too sure trademark infringment applies. Call me crazy but it's probably why CNN didnt threaten anyone or Reddit with a lawsuit for tradmark infringment. Instead they threatened to expose the .gif creators indentity.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 07-05-17, 10:51 AM   #3292
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

Haha, sounds like a lot of Internet warriors, when their mask of anonymity is pulled off they turn into little girls
That's the biggest put down I've seen Neal do

This CNN and Trump's tweet is old news ... Hasn't it always been a practice that when the POTUS is out of the country that the opposition goes to work on talking trash about the president?

Maybe he will beat them to it and pull off another fumble in front of the whole world. Remember it's Putin vs Trump come this Friday.
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 07-05-17, 06:07 PM   #3293
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post

Maybe he will beat them to it and pull off another fumble in front of the whole world. Remember it's Putin vs Trump come this Friday.
The chance of a fumble is always very high with Trump...

As far as Trump meeting Putin, isn't it a bit early for Trump's six-month performance review?. Hope Putin doesn't go to hard on the probie...

<O>
Old 07-06-17, 01:05 AM   #3294
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
I think that CNN's on air faux outrage at Trumps' tweets and other stuff is somewhat disingenuous. They should be thanking him at least once a day, every day.

http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/20...ter-on-record/
But, Trump is always saying CNN is failing , is way, way down in the ratings, spreads stories with little basis in fact or truth, and can't be trusted by the American people...

...Oh..wait..., maybe he was talking about himself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post

Man, that's really messed up. All that over a silly meme.

I think that is precisely what has happened in this case. The guy who posted the GIF has openly acknowledged he was actively trolling, seeking to stir up conflict and, after he posted the GIF and the Bandini came showering down, he realized he was in way too deep and pulled up stakes. But I give him props for owning up and trying to do right: he actually contacted CNN before they tried to contact him and apologized for what he had done, to me an act of a basically ethical person, regardless of what the media has been saying about him. He could have gone to ground, but he made the first move. Perhaps that is why CNN decided not to heap more troubles on him, make his true identity public, and make his life even more of a mess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Trademark infringement, really? where did you see that? Im no lawyer but I'm not too sure trademark infringment applies. Call me crazy but it's probably why CNN didnt threaten anyone or Reddit with a lawsuit for tradmark infringment. Instead they threatened to expose the .gif creators indentity.
CNN didn't need to threaten an infringement lawsuit; it is pretty much implicit; you use the trademarked logo or name of a business in a less than appealing manner and you're facing the potential of a lawsuit. As far as threatening anyone, the statement of a fact of the rights of CNN in this is not really a threat, but it does serve to demarcate there is a limit to what will be tolerated should some one else think, just because CNN did not exercise their rights and options in this case, they now have 'carte blanche" to pull a similar stunt without consequences. Not a threat, just cold, hard fact...

From the detailed news reports about the situation, it seems both CNN and the 'troll' have reached an wholly amicable state regarding the disposition of the matter. He owned up and CNN didn't press the matter any further; smiles all around. The only people who seem to be put out are those, from both ends of the political spectrum, who seek to make political capital out of, as Neal put it, "a silly meme":

CNN Story About Source of Trump Wrestling Video Draws Backlash --

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/b...ump-tweet.html

Your dismissal of the trademark infringement shows a very narrow view. Defense of a trademark is very serious business; some companies have faced financial ruin because they didn't actively defend their 'mark':

'Genericide': Brands destroyed by their own success --

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-27026704

In the CNN case, the potential for loss extended to other liabilities other than just the trademark. For example, let's say CNN didn't try to take action at all regarding the GIF and let it slide, giving the impression they were 'okay' with the posting; now, say a brain-dead Trump supporter decided to use the 'implied' approval by Trump of taking violent against journalists as a rationale for posting new and, perhaps, more incendiary, CNN logo based memes that result in some other brain-dead Trump guy actually beating a reporter, causing severe injury or worse. The reporter sues and the attorney files not only against the attacker and the poster of the meme(s), but also CNN. Why? The attorney could argue CNN holds some liability because they did not act to deter or stop the original meme, giving the meme poster or attacker, or anyone else, the impression there might well be no consequences to the posting and the assault, contributing to an atmosphere in which the crime could take place. Farfetched? Not really; stranger arguments have been made in litigation and, in jury trials, have resulted in very large financial judgements. Now, say, the poster of the inciting meme(s) and the attacker haven't the financial means to pay a large judgement; here's where a concept known as "deep pockets" comes to bear: since the other parties to the payment of the judgement can't pay, CNN, with its "deep pockets" will have to bear the brunt of satisfying the judgement. All that because they chose not to pursue a 'trivial' matter. "For want of a nail, the shoe was lost..."...

Now that I've bored the bejusus out of everybody, including myself, here is a bit of funny video I found; the finding of this video was due to a to a post by Sailor Steve (credit where credit is due) in another thread of another video by this duo:

<O>
Old 07-06-17, 07:56 AM   #3295
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
But, Trump is always saying CNN is failing , is way, way down in the ratings,
That's easily proven to be false.

Quote:
..spreads stories with little basis in fact or truth,
The amount of retractions, corrections and dismissals lately prove that to be true. When Breitbart News is fact checking CNN the worm is beginning to turn.

Quote:
and can't be trusted by the American people...
And of course which American people? Trump's supporters don't trust the media and why would they?

The truth is that President Trump and CNN/MSNBC etc. are co enablers. It is no secret that the MSM gave Trump a ton of free publicity, some estimate it at $5 billion worth.

Quote:
I hesitate to use the term “free media”, because Donald Trump earned his media coverage. He earned it from his bombastic and insulting statements, he earned it from pulling in massive crowds to his rallies, and he earned it from winning primary after primary. Whether by design or accident, he bypassed paid advertising to bask in the attention and validation of a 24-hour news cycle.
https://www.mediaquant.net/2016/11/a...tial-election/

Dr. Frankenstein meet your monster. And of course for CNN it's all gravy.

Quote:
CNN’s revenue has topped $1 billion for several years, but this is the first time in its 36 years it could see $1 billion in profit.
http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/cnn-c...ar-year/309457

And the future is not good.

Quote:
The 2016 election pointed to something we already knew, but needed confirmation on a national and global scale: earned media, both social and traditional, is significantly more effective in driving market awareness then paid media (advertising). During the GOP primary, anti-Trump groups within the GOP spent nearly $30 million in advertising to unseat Donald Trump as the party’s potential nominee! But during the same period Trump drove $400 million in high-stakes news coverage – without spending a dime.
Yea...Good night, and good luck.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online  
Old 07-06-17, 04:23 PM   #3296
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

And what does our fearless leader do when speaking with the President of Poland? He bitches about CNN!!

Acts just like a spoiled brat who needs his butt kicked,lol

Al Capone
Old 07-07-17, 07:01 AM   #3297
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie View Post
And what does our fearless leader do when speaking with the President of Poland? He bitches about CNN!!

Acts just like a spoiled brat who needs his butt kicked,lol
Uh huh, because answering media questions in a press conference is just not something that a President should ever do.

Unless of course it's a Democrat attacking Fox news right?:

Quote:
“Attacking the news media is a time-honored White House tactic,” says media critic Brian Stelter, but “to an unusual degree,” this administration has “narrowed its sights to one specific organization,” which it has deemed “part of the political opposition.”Stelter quotes a top White House staffer: “We’re going to treat them the way we would treat an opponent,” she says. “We don’t need to pretend that this is the way that legitimate news organizations behave.”

Stelter didn’t write those words about President Donald Trump, and the rogue media organization isn’t Stelter’s current employer, CNN. Nor is the White House aide defending the strategy of open hostility from Sarah Huckabee Sanders or Kellyanne Conway.

Stelter wrote those words in 2009, for The New York Times, and he wrote them about President Barack Obama, who was then in the midst of furious battle with Fox News. In many ways, it was a protracted fight that presaged the one Trump is now waging against CNN and the rest of the mainstream media.
http://www.newsweek.com/when-obama-w...ox-news-632424

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 07-07-17, 07:13 AM   #3298
August
Wayfaring Stranger

I found this article from the right leaning PJ Media interesting:

Quote:
After sixteen years of listening to CNN and the networks and WaPo and the New York Times attack the honest George W. Bush relentlessly, then coddle the corrupt Barack Obama; after listening to Middle-American values disdained and the Tea Party movement denigrated; after being told their opinions were only a backlash to the progressive genius of the elites; after being told they must not say what was right in front of their eyes whether it was Islamic terrorism or that boys aren't girls or that cops make black neighborhoods safer... after sixteen years of snarling contempt from the fancy-pants mouthpieces of large media corporations, the American people elected Donald Trump, in part at least, to send the media a message.
The message is: Go to hell. It's about time the press received it loud and clear.
https://pjmedia.com/andrewklavan/201...-cnn-two-step/

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 07-07-17, 01:36 PM   #3299
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Do we have a miracle in progress? Donald Trump hasn't made a mistake yet ... I wonder what happen in his 2 and 1/2 hour meeting with Putin?
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 07-07-17, 03:04 PM   #3300
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

What i like is that he accepts Russia/Putin, instead of ignoring as it happened with Obama.

I still wonder why this is so, because while Obama was the leftist antichrist he sure had an anti-russian cold war attitude, while the right-wing reds hater Trump treats Russia as a partner.
The roles have somehow changed.

Sorry for posting here, i really should refrain

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter