Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-25-14, 06:00 PM   #1
AWHartzell61
Nub

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Question on PlayersDB-HUE

I am looking at adding the PlayersDB to my Harpoon 3. I have the Harpoon Ultimate Edition, and want to make sure that the PlayersDB-HUE is the one I need? What is the difference between it and PlayersDB-ANW? Where do I need to place the downloaded file to make sure that it properly installs? I am primarily interested in the PlayersDB for the Harpoon ANW, not so much for the other versions of Harpoon that come in the Ultimate Edition pack.

Also, if I understand correctly, when it is installed it will overwrite some of the files. I have a question regarding this, as I have several scenarios that have created using the HUD4.1.3.1 database (from Harpgamer.com), and want to make sure that I can still use that database with those scenarios.

Thank you for your assistance.
AWHartzell61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-14, 06:25 PM   #2
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 269
Uploads: 1046

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWHartzell61 View Post
I am looking at adding the PlayersDB to my Harpoon 3. I have the Harpoon Ultimate Edition, and want to make sure that the PlayersDB-HUE is the one I need? What is the difference between it and PlayersDB-ANW? Where do I need to place the downloaded file to make sure that it properly installs? I am primarily interested in the PlayersDB for the Harpoon ANW, not so much for the other versions of Harpoon that come in the Ultimate Edition pack.

Also, if I understand correctly, when it is installed it will overwrite some of the files. I have a question regarding this, as I have several scenarios that have created using the HUD4.1.3.1 database (from Harpgamer.com), and want to make sure that I can still use that database with those scenarios.

Thank you for your assistance.
Welcome back to the game, Alan.

Here is a video to show you how to install the PlayersDB. There are three versions; one for each version of the game: Harpoon3 (v3.6.3), ANW v3.9.4, and HUE v3.10.0

The difference between PlayersDB-ANW and PlayersDB-HUE is that they are not compatible between versions. If you try to run ANW v3.9.4 with the PlayersDB-HUE, you will get a crash right away.

The PlayersDB will only over-write other PlayersDB scenarios and files. It would never interfere with another database or scenarios. We overwrite our own files so that you do not end up with a cluttered folder containing many files with the same/similar name. Each database and its associated scenarios installs into its own folder so there is no fear of conflict.

Let me know if you want an MP match in ANW. It is the only version that permits MP sessions.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it
4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-14, 10:54 AM   #3
AWHartzell61
Nub

Thank you for your assistance. Got the PlayersDB-HUE installed and it looks to be working great.

One more question. On the database editior that come with the HUE, there is an option there to print off the various database annexes. I like to do that so that I have a listing of the platforms when I am working on scenario design (I keep the Notepad text docs on my computer, way too long to print out). I had no trouble getting the annexes for Facility, Plane, and Sub, but when I try to do the Ship annex, it only gets to #853 LPD San Giorgio IT 87 before I get an exception error, and it stops. Any idea what might be causing it to freeze up?
Old 01-27-14, 06:50 PM   #4
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
One more question. On the database editior that come with the HUE, there is an option there to print off the various database annexes. I like to do that so that I have a listing of the platforms when I am working on scenario design (I keep the Notepad text docs on my computer, way too long to print out). I had no trouble getting the annexes for Facility, Plane, and Sub, but when I try to do the Ship annex, it only gets to #853 LPD San Giorgio IT 87 before I get an exception error, and it stops. Any idea what might be causing it to freeze up?
Two database editors are provided for Harpoon HUE v3.10.0. One is called the In-Game Editor (a.k.a. Game Editor): Harpoon3Editor.exe

The other editor (a.k.a. ReimerEditor) is based upon Microsoft Access: H3RE_3_10.mdb

From your description, I think you are talking about the Game Editor (the one that appears when you run the Harpoon HUE Configuration Launcher.) It looks very much like the Scenario Editor program. Here is a video showing the difference between the Game Editor and the H3Reimer Editor. It also shows you how to use both.

Opening the H3Editor

AFAIK, nearly everyone just employs the ReimerEditor since it is much more user-friendly due to its search and sort functions. If you are unable to use the ReimerEditor and are forced to use the Game Editor, let me know and I will help you through the problem.

I tried the Print function for the Ship Annex with the Game Editor and did not encounter any problem with Ship #853. The entire Annex printed without any difficulty.

I am happy to hear that you are writing scenarios. I certainly hope that you will share them with the community once they are finished.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 01-27-14, 07:03 PM   #5
Herman
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Got the PlayersDB-HUE installed and it looks to be working great.
WARNING: If you are designing scenarios for Harpoon, you need to be aware that if you want those scenarios playable for multi-player, you should not use the HUE v3.10.0 to design them. There is an MP bug in HUE v3.10.0 that causes all MP sessions to instantly crash when an MP session is started.

The only game version that allows MP sessions is ANW v3.9.4

Therefore, if you want your scenario playable in multi-player, you must write it with either H3 v3.6.3 or ANW v3.9.4 It is not possible to change a scenario from HUE v3.10.0 format back to ANW or H3 format.

If you are only designing the scenarios for solitaire play, then any of the three Harpoon versions is fine.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

Old 01-30-14, 03:08 PM   #6
AWHartzell61
Nub

Yes, I am using the Game Editor. I do not see the Reimer Editor in the HUE that I have. Is it included in the Ultimate Edition pack, or is it available from another source?

In regards to printing the annex, all that I really need is a listing of the entries in each annex. That would give me enough, and it would be a lot shorter that the full annex printout. Is there a listing available somewhere, or would it be possible for one to be e-mailed to me? I would really only need it for the Ships, Subs, Planes, and Facilities annexes. Here is an example of what would work, from the HUD4 database.

CG 16 Leahy ('85+) 249
CG 26 Belknap 264
CG 47 Ticonderoga ('83-'92) 22
CG 47 Ticonderoga ('92+) 775
CG 52 Bunker Hill ('86-'00) 99
CG 52 Bunker Hill (Upgraded) 822
CG 54 Antietam ('87-'04) 25
CG 54 Antietam (2005+) 776

It will not format out here, but it is the platform Name and the last number is the Annex ID number.

Thank you for your help.
Allen
Old 01-30-14, 05:07 PM   #7
Herman
Ace of the Deep

The Reimer Editor is included with the Harpoon Ultimate Edition bundle of games. If you used the default installation directory paths offered, the Reimer Editor should be found:

C:\Matrix Games\Harpoon 3 Ultimate Advanced Naval Warfare\H3RE_3_10.mdb

I find it very odd that you can print some annexes but not others. I can certainly print them for you. Send me your e-mail in a PM.

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it