Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-09-12, 04:37 AM   #1
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0
Default New SHII player

I finally broke down and bought a copy of Silent Hunter II just to see how the franchise evolved and to breathe life into an old laptop. Quite frankly, for a 10 year old game, I am impressed. I found it a nice relaxing change of pace from the other games in the franchise. I noticed to quirky bits of realism that have not been modeled in other games ("Engines are overheating!") I also see how many of the improvements came about. I was also happy how easy it was to deal with the older UI and jump right into the game...unlike SH5

It is certainly aged game, but it is definitely a winner. I am sure I will find out about some old persistent bugs the hard way, but I am pleased. Any tips from The Old Gang would be most welcome.

*Watches convoy formation break up trying to avoid collisions*
Hinrich Schwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 07:13 AM   #2
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Welcome to the SH2 world.

I play SH2 all the time. It's the only subsim I own at the moment.
make sure u download the interop patch and Projekt Messerwetzer.
Old 02-09-12, 01:02 PM   #3
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

The only problem I had with SH2 was the lack of a career. It's all 'missions', and all set up like a first-person shooter. Other than that it had some very good points, but that was enough to make me put it away forever once the heyday of Sub Club multiplay died out.
Old 02-09-12, 04:14 PM   #4
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
The only problem I had with SH2 was the lack of a career. It's all 'missions', and all set up like a first-person shooter. Other than that it had some very good points, but that was enough to make me put it away forever once the heyday of Sub Club multiplay died out.
I noticed the lack of dynamic career with a quickness, also. It was off-putting, but considering my motivations for the purchase, it wasn't a deal-breaker for me. It also sets a different tone, in my opinion. If I don't have the time for the intensity of III, 4 or 5, I can pick up II and play a quick mission to feed my subsim need.

I can see how its multiplayer function kept it alive as long as it did; co-op and competitive missions. I can only imagine the difficulty of sub vs. sub with the SH II engine.

What really surprised me is that the game runs flawlessly on my Windows 7 machine without any tweeks or after-market resolution patches. I expected Windows 7 to choke on the game because of the age of the code and especially after finding the archived copy of the old subsim forums and reading all of the complaints and tweek problems with XP.
Old 02-09-12, 05:05 PM   #5
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It wasn't sub vs sub that made it great, it was SH2 vs Destroyer Command. I only have one screenshot from those days, but it brings back memories.

Old 02-09-12, 06:02 PM   #6
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
It wasn't sub vs sub that made it great, it was SH2 vs Destroyer Command. I only have one screenshot from those days, but it brings back memories.

I guess I am going to have to track that game down, as well. Of course If I am in a sub and I see a V&W-Admiralty Class with "D 27" on the hull, I am taking my toys and going home
Old 02-12-12, 04:22 AM   #7
Hinrich Schwab
Grey Wolf

Well, I have played sufficiently enough to expand my hatred of the Einbaum. The Type II is hardly an adequate boat. Mercifully, my next patrol is in something more adequate.