Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-11, 02:22 PM   #1
oche
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 94
Uploads: 0
Default In praise of the Pacific Aces mod

I recently got a nostalgic fog all over me with Destroyer Command, and that made me install the fletcher mod and Pacific Aces mod for SH2. I've started a campaign in 1942 on Corregidor, i'm using a Porpoise class boat. Sunk 3 merchant ships worth about 9000 tons in my first campaign and got 50% hull integrity damage from aircraft attack. Last time i played Pacific Aces was about 6 years ago, i think. I'm having the same or much more entertainment and satisfaction out of it nowadays ago as i did a few years ago. If i say that SH4 is overall better than Pacific Aces i'd be lying to myself.

I'm a subnut who got into subsims since Sub Hunt for the intellivision and Gato for PC but i'm not as hardcore subnut as many others found on these waters, and once again like i did when i got my subsim cd and installed the Full version of the Pacific Aces mod years ago I'd like to offer my forever lasting recognition and gratitude to the Pacific Aces team for developing this superb mod. If it had not being for you developers and modders many of us WWII US subnuts would have had to wait to SH4 to come out to see another Pacific Theatre subsim worth playing.

Thank you.
oche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-11, 11:58 PM   #2
MadMike
Watch Officer

Downloads: 232

I love Pacific Aces using the S-class sub (SH4 manual TDC leaves much to be desired). Modded mine to include Aleutian missions and a campaign starting in the Philliipines and making a '41 strategic retreat to Balikpapan, Soerabaya, Darwin, then Brisbane. Manual TDC in SH2 is quite easy, once you master it (thanks Dutch Submarines.com).
Nothing like the random breakdown of the boats systems to add to the frustration of using those old subs.

Yours, Mike
MadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 03:45 PM   #3
oche
Electrician's Mate

I liked the challenge of using the S boats on SH1, i even went for not using the TDC for more challenge (since they did not have any at the beggining of the war, please anyone correct me if im wrong. I've never used S boats on PA, i will try that.

I agree the TDC in SH4 is a letdown. in SH4 if i encounter a zig zagging convoy or a lonely ship i bypass the TDC tools and PK, if i always can i get at about a 1,000 yards from targets and snap fire the torpedoes using the offset angle adjustment if any is needed.
Old 03-23-11, 06:10 PM   #4
Eugene
A-ganger

Downloads: 226

How can Pacific Aces be purchased nowadays?
Old 03-24-11, 02:02 PM   #5
oche
Electrician's Mate

Not sure how you can purchase Pacific Aces nowadays but when it came out, there were two versions, the "free" version, which you could download for free from Subsim.com but had limitations when compared to the subsim cd version, specifically in the visual/graphic/resolution aspect, which you could obtain after making a small donation to Subsim.com (i think it ranged from 10 to 20 dollars, not sure now). The cd contained not only the "Full" version of Pacific Aces but also had many different mods, patches and goodies for SHII, Destroyer Command and several other games i believe.

I wish that Subsim.com could still provide Pacific Aces wether free or thru donation for all the sub enthusiasts out there which haven't had the chance of trying it out, it would be a shame to deny that pleasure. I believe that Neal Stevens is the lead voice who can answer this.
Old 03-25-11, 12:43 AM   #6
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oche View Post
I liked the challenge of using the S boats on SH1, i even went for not using the TDC for more challenge (since they did not have any at the beggining of the war, please anyone correct me if im wrong. I've never used S boats on PA, i will try that.
You are right about the S-boats not having the TDC at the start, and AFAIK did not get it later either. I don't know where they would have put it, really.

I did the same thing in SH1; using entirely manual fire control. I still do this in SH4, too. Obtaining hits this way is very satisfying.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote