SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-07-07, 09:40 PM   #1
Caerus
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ice maze dazed

I just found Sub Command in the bottom of a drawer recently. After installing it, I was captivated by what appears to be a fascinating sim. It is, to say the least however, less than intuitive.

Not knowing any other way to go about learning this sim, I started at the top of the mission list. The first one was easy (Spec Ops). The second (Ice Maze) is impossible.

I've gone super slow by instruments and kept losing speed for some strange reason. So I decided to use the 3D window to see what was happening. There's a huge ice WALL all the way down between me and the scientist I'm suppose to save. Does anybody know how to get past this wall? Is there an opening somewhere? I've paralleled this wall for 10 nm and found no way to get closer to the objective.

What's up???
Caerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 10:14 PM   #2
Sea Demon
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 33

Use the high frequency sonar and mark the ice contacts. That way, you can maneuver around them.
Sea Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-07, 11:09 PM   #3
Caerus
Swabbie

It's not a matter of ice here and there. I found a wall that extends from the start point, south then east and then south again. There doesn't seem to be any way to go further west without hitting this wall. I can't get within 10 nm of the scientist.
Old 02-08-07, 06:59 AM   #4
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 54

As Sea Demon says you need to use your High Frequency sonar to navigate around the ice wall. If I remember correctly you are also up against a time limit on this mission. When I did it I ran my boat at around 8-10 knots keeping more or less parallel to the ice wall until a break appears that I could navigate through (very much like an ice maze). I think there might be mines to avoid as well and again this is where the HF sonar comes in very useful. It took me three or four attempts at this mission before I successfully completed it so don't be put off if you don't complete it first time.

Nemo

Sir John Slessor GCB, DSO, MC, DL
AOC-in-C Coastal Command RAF
Old 02-08-07, 08:14 AM   #5
Caerus
Swabbie

Thanks for the help.

I've been up and down that wall and couldn't find a break, but I'll believe you and try again. Do you recall if it's south of the starting point?

You're right about the time limit. I've restarted this mission about ten times writing down safe coordinates as I find them, zipping "all ahead standard" next time to the safe points and proceeding cautiously from there. I've also sunk my boat every time so far ... causing much distress to my virtual crew.

It is kind of neat though, creeping around down there.
Old 02-08-07, 10:16 AM   #6
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

It's a long time since I've done it and to be honest I can't remember in which direction I sailed initially to find the way into the maze. Be sure to use HF sonar (F1 station, silver switch to the right of the small long rectangular screen on an LA boat to switch on and off) and you will avoid colliding with the ice. Keep the wall to the port or starboard on HFS and if the ice starts to fill the screen its time for a course change. When you come across the entrance into the maze you will see this clearly on the HFS and you can change course into it accordingly.

You're right, there is a certain atmosphere of sailing around the ice down there.

Nemo

Old 02-08-07, 01:44 PM   #7
Caerus
Swabbie

If I can impose another question regarding under ice operations:

I've tried to use active sonar to get a view or map of the area but I can't seem to make any sense of the results. For example, while the icebergs show up, the wall itself doesn't. Is active sonar useful in these conditions? If so, what am I looking at?

Thanks!
Old 02-08-07, 10:32 PM   #8
Caerus
Swabbie

Hurray ... Mission Accomplished!

Just want to thank Captain Nemo and Sea Demon. I was really getting frustrated before, but I did just what you both said, use the HF Sonar and mark the wall and an opening finally did materialize (I didn't need that 3D view after all).

I'm thoroughly enjoying this sim. I've read several books on submarines, but I'm only now getting some kind of appreciation for what it's like.

On to the next mission ....
Old 02-11-07, 04:50 PM   #9
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

I think some one is in need of my under ice guide availible at www.subguru.com on the downloads page.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 08:10 AM   #10
Captain Nemo
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerus
Hurray ... Mission Accomplished!

Just want to thank Captain Nemo and Sea Demon. I was really getting frustrated before, but I did just what you both said, use the HF Sonar and mark the wall and an opening finally did materialize (I didn't need that 3D view after all).

I'm thoroughly enjoying this sim. I've read several books on submarines, but I'm only now getting some kind of appreciation for what it's like.

On to the next mission ....
Glad to be of assistance.

Nemo

Old 04-19-07, 08:44 PM   #11
ChrisG2100
Shore leave

Downloads: 29
Default Congrats

I just got the sim as part of the Naval Combat Pack and finished that mission last night. I had to turn to the east for 5 miles and then I was able to turn south. I had to make the rest of the trip at 19 knots and cavitating. But I made it.
ChrisG2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-08, 07:03 AM   #12
kittpeak
Swabbie

Thanks, I needed your hints, too!
kittpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 07:16 AM   #13
kittpeak
Swabbie

Default Help!!!

Help me please,

I need tips about how complete "Ice maze", because I am able to arrive and emerge at established area for rescue, also ahead the determined time, but my seal team does not rescue the scientist and the special force with him.

Where's the problem?
Thank you.

Last edited by kittpeak; 07-05-08 at 07:26 AM.
kittpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 01:44 PM   #14
Frame57
Sea Lord

Downloads: 2

If you are at the arrival point, and make sure by enlarging your map (chart) and verify you location in at the right coordinate. Make sure you are at all stop. Make sure you are proper depth too. Too deep is a no-no for deploying human beings. For the moment I forget if this game auto deploys them like the 688i game or you have to do it. If you have to deploy them try clicking on the target and see if an option like "deploy SEAL team comes up, then select it. That should be all there is too it.
Frame57 is offline   Reply With Quote