Uploads: 20

^ "The back-bench rebellion over Europe is this big!"
Old 06-11-15, 02:59 PM   #4292
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
LONDON (Reuters) - The Labour Party will run a separate campaign to keep Britain inside the EU when the country holds a referendum on the issue, the party said on Tuesday, ruling out sharing a platform with Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/opposition...7.html#XPwLN7K

The damage is done its too late to try and distance yourselves from the Tories, your fault jumping on Dave's Scottish bandwagon last year.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 06-11-15, 03:04 PM   #4293
STEED
Lucky Jack

Icon12

Secret hand shacks all round, George & Ed got their gold rings on.

Quote:
Chancellor George Osborne and his former counterpart Ed Balls are among those on the list for the Bilderberg conference today.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/osborne-ba...4.html#cVMbGIO

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 06-12-15, 06:32 AM   #4294
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Over four days they are due to discuss issues ranging from artificial intelligence and chemical weapons to the status of the United Kingdom and the US elections.
Pointless Ed being there then

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 06-13-15, 04:06 AM   #4295
STEED
Lucky Jack

Ed Balls is off to America to teach economics!

Moving on I noticed on the home Yahoo news page they are running a poll.

Who do you think should be the next Labour leader?

Chuka Umunna (2263) 18%
Liz Kendall (1260) 10%
Andy Burnham (2740) 22%
Yvette Cooper (1606) 13%
Tristam Hunt (738) 6%
Other (4124) 32%

As of posting this post.

It seems more of the general public want a new face.

Old 06-13-15, 07:54 AM   #4296
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Received a text on my iPhone from Andy Burnham this morning...the only candidate that has made the effort.

Old 06-13-15, 10:08 AM   #4297
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
So, do you think Mr. Other will make a good PM?
Old 06-13-15, 10:46 AM   #4298
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Andy Burnham gets my vote
Old 06-13-15, 01:53 PM   #4299
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61

Burnham would be a good choice, but I think since he was Chief Secretary to the Treasury in Browns regime, he's a bit too close to the Great Depression and thus probably tainted too much by it. Too easy a target for Cameron.
Same with Cooper, and since her husband is Ed Balls (TM) that's another free goal for Dave.
Umna has withdrawn from the race, which is a shame because he'd probably have been the strongest hope for a Labour that would get votes, clawing it back from the far left into more central ground. Of course, doing that without running into the legacy of Blair and 'New Labour'.

Jeremy Corbyn? Ain't gonna happen. Far too far left.

Liz Kendall is a potential runner. She would make for a fairly good leader, she's untainted by the 2008 crisis, she's not far left and she's done well in her seat. I think it'll be a two horse race between her and Burnham.
Who would I pick?

Probably Kendall, Burnham is good, but as a member of the financial team on Browns government, that's now become public political suicide. Dave can just bring that up, time and again with his little favourite prop and Labour will not recover from the nose-dive it took this year.
To be honest, I think it's going to take another term before it does fully recover from the mauling its taken anyway, and it'll be at least three terms before the Lib-Dems manage to pull themselves back together, what's left of them.
Old 06-15-15, 07:36 AM   #4300
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

I had an accident which rendered me unconscious for a while, I awoke in hospital with a doctor asking me if I knew who the prime minister was. I attacked the doctor and started smashing the place up.

"He's ok, " said the doctor, "he obviously knows who the prime minister is. "
Old 06-15-15, 12:06 PM   #4301
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Burnham would be a good choice, but I think since he was Chief Secretary to the Treasury in Browns regime, he's a bit too close to the Great Depression and thus probably tainted too much by it. Too easy a target for Cameron.
Same with Cooper, and since her husband is Ed Balls (TM) that's another free goal for Dave.
Umna has withdrawn from the race, which is a shame because he'd probably have been the strongest hope for a Labour that would get votes, clawing it back from the far left into more central ground. Of course, doing that without running into the legacy of Blair and 'New Labour'.

Jeremy Corbyn? Ain't gonna happen. Far too far left.

Liz Kendall is a potential runner. She would make for a fairly good leader, she's untainted by the 2008 crisis, she's not far left and she's done well in her seat. I think it'll be a two horse race between her and Burnham.
Who would I pick?

Probably Kendall, Burnham is good, but as a member of the financial team on Browns government, that's now become public political suicide. Dave can just bring that up, time and again with his little favourite prop and Labour will not recover from the nose-dive it took this year.
To be honest, I think it's going to take another term before it does fully recover from the mauling its taken anyway, and it'll be at least three terms before the Lib-Dems manage to pull themselves back together, what's left of them.
I'm beginning to think that Burnham is the only real choice when looked at in terms of popularity and public awareness but I'm struggling to convince myself any of the candidates will make any impression on the electorate in the short to medium term.

Old 06-15-15, 12:14 PM   #4302
STEED
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
I'm struggling to convince myself any of the candidates will make any impression on the electorate in the short to medium term.
Labour will only get back in when the country gets bored with the Tories.

Old 06-15-15, 12:47 PM   #4303
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Labour will only get back in when the country gets bored with the Tories.
I honestly don't think it's about boredom but more about credibility and trust.

Old 06-15-15, 01:29 PM   #4304
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

Quote:
Yup, and Labour have done poorly ever since Brown became PM, then Milliband Jr. took over. I hope that the main party hierarchy have taken note of two things:

1. Don't abuse your electorate by taking them for granted, assuming they will always vote for you no matter what - see Scotland.

2. Listen to what the electorate is trying to say to you - see the rise of UKIP in the North of England.

Ultimately, Labour is torn between two conflicting ideas of society. That which their support in the North of England, Scotland and Wales believes in (traditional left, communitarian, small "c" social conservative), and that which they need to curry to in order to win constituencies in the Southern part of the England (right wing, individualist, entrepreneurial, big "C" Conservatism) which gets them enough seats to form a government.

Blairism squared the circle for them, but I can't see Labour managing that again, at least in the short term.

If I were to make a recommendation to Labour's leadership, it would be this: You've lost Scotland, the SNP have stolen your clothes, so don't try to get back. If you want to win again, concentrate on England and Wales, that's where the seats you need to win are.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 06-15-15, 01:37 PM   #4305
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61

Quote:
Indeed, Blair did a lot of damage to Labours credibility thanks to Iraq, and Brown was in the wrong place at the wrong time, as well as being as about as likeable as a dead pigeon. The after-effects of both has given the Tories enough ammunition for a decade, I think that the concensus someone came to earlier in this thread is probably accurate, Labour won't get a look in again until the election after next.

Protests in London on Saturday, probably going to be a big one.
Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics