SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-20, 03:17 AM   #18
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0
Default First impressions

This is just a post to report my first impressions on this mod.

They may be useful to someone else that is using it.

Disclaimer: these are only my perceptions based on my experience. They might not even be accurate and may be missing some important pieces of information that I missed. Example: something already in the documentation.

1. Background. My only experience with Silent Hunter III is going on to 4 years now. That is only with GWX and NYGM running on Steam.

2. Some months back on an older computer I tried installing LSH on a Steam configuration PC and failed after several tries. I decided to put that into the too-hard category and deal with it at a later date when I had a new PC and a proper DVD install of SHIII.

3. Recently I got a new PC. It is fast to include the SSD hard drive is directly attached to the motherboard with no cable interface. Running Windows 10.

4. Installed the DVD version of SHIII and when I did the 1.4 patch it said it was a 1.3 patch. Not knowing and not wanting to deal with it. I just loaded up Steam and ran NYGM.

5. After some searching I found out the 1.4 patch shows as a 1.3 patch and to ignore that. Surprise.

6. Removed Steam. Installed SHIII DVD. I had zero troubles with getting LSH up and running. So as for troubleshooting installs of LSH, I might not be the person to talk to as I didn't have any trouble.

7. After running 1 campaign and starting another, here are my impressions.

---Impressions:

1. Like it a lot. I like the school first mission in a campaign as I was doing a throw away first patrol in other Super mods so I could get back to base and adjust my crew in Silent Hunter Commander the way I want.

2. Beautiful detail. Lots of ships. Many of the ships are different from what I am used to seeing. I like that.

3. So, overall a lot of fun.

4. I don't like how ships sink so fast once the game declares that they will sink. Ships sink inside of a minute or so. Kind of a downer. Is there a way to change that?

5. Flotilla accuracy. Started my second campaign in April 41 with 1 Flotilla. After the school cruise when I transferred, being a few months before June, I should have gone to Kiel ....and once June comes around, Brest is the new port. It put me directly to Brest. Disappointing.

6. Torpedoes are still too reliable I think. An opinion.

7. Unfortunately the old Hitman mods turned me into an insufferable periscope snob. I don't understand the 1 and 4.5 zoom for the observation scope and the 1.5 and 10 zoom in the attack scope. I am using Silent 3ditor to fix that: 1.5 and 6 for both scopes. I also like simplicity so the stock wide-screen scopes with this fix up will be very nice. The Uzo is already set at 7.5 X. which like the stock game, if a 140m long ship is 90AOB to you and fills the frame, it is about 1400 meters away...... not perfect but close enough.

8. My ignorance on what the JSGME mods do is significant. I would like to see a list of what they do in detail. Do any of the old hands have good advice on other JSGME mods to use with this LSH?

9. I love how the ships and the sub ride in the water. Incredible feel of being out on the water.

10. Very nice that the devs did a wide-screen of OLC too! Much appreciated.

Summary.

It is very much appreciated all the hard work that went into this mod. It is absolutely lovely.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM

Last edited by Leoz; 05-26-20 at 12:56 AM.
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote