Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-06-20, 05:56 PM   #796
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

mapuc,

your quotes only reflect one side of the article your linked to. It also holds this:

Quote:
“There do appear to be two different strains,” says Ravinder Kanda at Oxford Brookes University in the UK. “[The L-type] might be more aggressive in transmitting itself, but we have no idea yet how these underlying genetic changes will relate to disease severity,” she says.
“I think it’s a fact that there are two strains,” says Erik Volz at Imperial College London. “It’s normal for viruses to undergo evolution when they are transmitted to a new host.”
And mayb emost important, this:

Quote:
But we can’t say for sure. The study only represents 103 cases. A larger, online database has collated the sequencing results from 166 cases. Both represent a drop in the ocean of the almost 100,000 officially reported cases.
Jones says we can expect more strains to emerge. Epidemiologists generally agree that, once a person is infected with the coronavirus, they are unlikely to be infected again – unless the virus mutates to allow it to overcome the immune system’s defences.
The global distribution differences, being as harsh as inIitaly's case although Italy runs one of the tighest regimes worldwide on the virus , must have a reason.

I also take it for granted that there are FAR MORE cases globally than just 100,000. Russia for exmaple has run a systmatic media desinfiormation and ingoriung-the-problem-campaign, and reports hilariously low numbers although it shares the longest land border with china. Chinese numbers I also do not trust - their crematories run extra shifts, hire extra staff, and some sources say they build new ones , like they built new hospitals in Wuhan. And two days ago the German CDC and a federal health ministry refused to agree on numbers in the most affected German state of Northrhine-Westphalia.

How many cases more? I dont know, but I do not expect anything less than several factors.
Old 03-06-20, 06:22 PM   #797
Traveller
Captain

Downloads: 89

Current coronavirus death statistics from Italy (translation):
Quote:
A report released on Thursday by the National Health Institute of Italy (ISS), which analyzes deaths in the country, clarifies which people are particularly affected by the virus. As a result, the average age of deceased patients is 81 years. 42.2 percent of them were between 80 and 89 years old, 32.4 percent between 70 and 79, 8.4 percent between 60 and 69, 2.8 percent between 50 and 59, and 14.1 percent over 90 years old. The majority of the deceased were men.
https://translate.google.com/transla...s-Problem.html

https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/...s-Problem.html

And before anyone says 'See? It's not so bad, because it's mostly only older people who dying from the virus!', let's not forget that these older people who are dying are peoples' parents, grandparents, spouses, etc. Let's not cheapen their deaths just because of their advanced ages.

21 passengers test positive on the Grand Princess cruise ship off California.
Quote:
Vice President Mike Pence said Friday 21 people aboard the Grand Princess cruise ship idled off the coast of California have tested positive for COVID-19.

Of the 21 people who tested positive, 19 are crew members and two are passengers, Pence said, adding that the ship will be brought to a non-commercial port and every person will be tested. He did not say which port the ship will go toward or when it is expected to port.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/vp-p...ronavirus.html

Last edited by Traveller; 03-06-20 at 06:42 PM.
Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 06:44 PM   #798
moose1am
Frogman

Downloads: 0
Default Yea I'm one of those old people with existing conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
Current coronavirus death statistics from Italy (translation):
https://translate.google.com/transla...s-Problem.html

https://www.welt.de/politik/ausland/...s-Problem.html

And before anyone says 'See? It's not so bad, because it's mostly only older people who dying from the virus!', let's not forget that these older people who are dying are peoples' parents, grandparents, spouses, etc. Let's not cheapen their deaths just because of their advanced ages.

21 passengers test positive on the Grand Princess cruise ship off California. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/06/vp-p...ronavirus.html
Amen! Just because I'm old doesn't mean I'm not important too.

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 07:25 PM   #799
Traveller
Captain

Japan still not testing most with symptoms. Only 8,111 total tests have been conducted so far- total is less than the number South Korea tests in one day!

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/n...0306151420233/

Japan's coronavirus infection rate could be 'tip of the iceberg' as experts call for more testing.
Quote:
Concerns are growing in Japan that the number of coronavirus cases could be higher than reported, with experts questioning the country's approach to testing as infection rates continue to climb.

Japan has come under immense international scrutiny for its handling of the outbreak -- specifically over its quarantine of the stricken Diamond Princess cruise ship in Yokohama Bay.

In neighboring South Korea, infections have surged dramatically, with more than 6,000 confirmed cases after the government tested tens of thousands of people as part of a mass screening drive. But although the Japanese government says it has the capacity to carry out 3,800 tests a day, only 8,111 tests had been conducted as of March 4, according to the country's Health Ministry.

On Wednesday, Japan recorded 33 new cases of Covid-19, the illness caused by the novel coronavirus, its highest one-day increase since the outbreak began, according to numbers released by the Health Ministry. The overall total now stands at 1,023, of which 706 are from the Diamond Princess cruise ship.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/05/a...ntl/index.html

Idiot bureaucrats are still trying to protect the 2020 Olympic games by not testing people- even those with pneumonia! No testing = No infections. I'm guessing there are already at least 25,000+ unconfirmed cases here. Japan is toast.

Last edited by Traveller; 03-06-20 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 07:45 PM   #800
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

These statistics on quotas calculated on basis if coiunted cases, in generla must be taklen with a grian of salt. We do not know how many of all cases there realyl are are counted by these offiocial case counts, an d how many unkinown escape the statistics. This obviously has an effect on perceived clusters in the existing counts. Its a methodological problem that cannot really be controlled, but it is important nevertheless.
Old 03-06-20, 07:48 PM   #801
Traveller
Captain

When used with proper eye protection, surgical masks do work for preventing infection (18:30).

Last edited by Traveller; 03-06-20 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 08:03 PM   #802
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Japan still not testing most with symptoms. Only 8,111 total tests have been conducted so far- total is less than the number South Korea tests in one day!

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/n...0306151420233/

Japan's coronavirus infection rate could be 'tip of the iceberg' as experts call for more testing.
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/05/a...ntl/index.html

Idiot bureaucrats are still trying to protect the 2020 Olympic games by not testing people- even those with pneumonia! No testing = No infections. I'm guessing there are already at least 25,000+ unconfirmed cases here. Japan is toast.
Okay, so how do you tell if it's Covid-19 or any of the other flu viruses? People still get pneumonia and have other flu illnesses all the time.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 08:15 PM   #803
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
Okay, so how do you tell if it's Covid-19 or any of the other flu viruses? People still get pneumonia and have other flu illnesses all the time.

Good question. I don't think I have ever gone to a doctor or clinic just because I had the flu and i am certainly not alone in that, so I wonder how many people actually had a mild form of the corona virus and just passed it off as a dose of the flu?
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 08:18 PM   #804
Traveller
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
That's what makes diagnosing this virus so difficult. The problem is that they could perform up to 3,800 tests per day on suspected cases, but aren't. From what I understand, they are still only testing those who have been to Wuhan, or those who have been in close contact with confirmed infected cases.

Again, it all comes down to protecting the 2020 Olympic games. No tests = No new confirmed cases.
Old 03-06-20, 09:06 PM   #805
Buddahaid

Understandably, that's huge for Japan. Here in my northern California hospitals, I ask everyday if there are any new protocols and read all communications but it's pretty much status quo. The reality is that effective measures are already policy and enforcement is the problem.

Watching your last posted video where NNU talks about patients needing to be placed in negative pressure rooms is great but totally ignores that negative pressure rooms are few in most hospitals. You can't just wave a magic wand and all of a sudden a room is a negative pressure room. It involves a huge change which is also tied into fire compartments etc. Those rooms also have alarm systems to monitor the integrity of the negative pressure and so forth. Not going to happen overnight or over decades.

David Bowie
Old 03-06-20, 09:32 PM   #806
Traveller
Captain

Third Washington state nursing home reports coronavirus infection.
Quote:
A resident of a nursing home in Issaquah, Washington tested positive last night for the novel coronavirus, according to Eastside Fire Deputy Chief Rich Burke.

The patient has since been transferred from the facility to a local hospital, and three firefighters who responded to the scene have self-quarantined.
Hawaii confirms previous Grand Princess passenger as first coronavirus case.
Quote:
Hawaii has confirmed its first novel coronavirus case, according to state officials at a Friday news conference.

Governor David Ige said the patient is a Hawaii resident who traveled on the Grand Princess cruise ship, which is now in quarantine off the coast of California. It’s the seventh confirmed case tied to the cruise ship.

Ige said the Hawaiian patient disembarked in Mexico, but officials are aware that the cruise ship also stopped at four Hawaiian ports last month.
https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...hnk/index.html

Last edited by Traveller; 03-06-20 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-06-20, 10:04 PM   #807
Traveller
Captain

Today, the news reported that a man with symptoms in Hiroshima, Japan went to 4 different hospitals, but he was refused coronavirus testing each time. He has now tested positive. Good way to spread it around. Yep, I'd say Japan is toast.
Old 03-06-20, 10:10 PM   #808
Buddahaid

Quote:
Today, the news reported that a man in Hiroshima, Japan went to 4 different hospitals with symptoms, but was refused coronavirus testing each time. He has now tested positive. Good way to spread it around.
No kidding and I'm not surprised. Even before this problem I was constantly amazed that people would bring lots of family members to the ER and let their little kids crawl around on the floor.

David Bowie
Old 03-06-20, 10:45 PM   #809
Traveller
Captain

FBI employee near San Francisco tests positive for coronavirus.
Quote:
An FBI employee out of the San Francisco field division is among those to test positive for the novel coronavirus, an FBI official confirmed Friday.

The infected person is based out of a smaller satellite office and not the main offices in San Francisco.

Employees of the satellite office were sent home and the FBI is taking all necessary steps to prevent further spread of the virus, the official said.

It’s not clear how the employee contracted the virus. The FBI has notified local health officials and is tracking people who had contact with the employee.
California's Placer County confirms 3 new cases.
Quote:
Placer County in northern California has confirmed three more presumptive positive cases of the novel coronavirus, all of whom were passengers on the Grand Princess cruise ship from San Francisco to Mexico.

Placer County Public Health said in a news release that all three had been isolated at home and didn't require hospitalization.

Placer County has a total of five cases, including one death. California's total is now 64.
Worker at downtown Seattle Starbucks store infected.
Quote:
An employee at a downtown Seattle Starbucks has tested positive for novel coronavirus, according to a memo released by the company Friday evening.

Starbucks said the worker is now isolated at home. The store where the patient worked is now closed, and the company said it was subjected to a deep cleaning overnight.
South Korea confirms 757 new cases on Saturday- the highest single-day increase so far.
Quote:
...bringing the national total to 7,041.
https://edition.cnn.com/asia/live-ne...hnk/index.html

Last edited by Traveller; 03-07-20 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-07-20, 07:18 AM   #810
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The UK remains in the "containment" phase of tracing coronavirus cases to prevent it spreading in the community, England's deputy chief medical officer has said.

Jennie Harries told the BBC a decision about the next phase of delaying the spread of the virus would depend on how fast the number of cases rose.

But she said the UK was "teetering on the edge" of sustained transmission.

Measures to slow the virus needed to be "proportionate", she said.

And Dr Harries warned the public against panic-buying, saying it was unnecessary and it could "engender panic in itself".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51781018

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan