SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-29-17, 01:17 AM   #1
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171
Uploads: 0
Default Ubuntu Linux questions

I have installed Ubuntu 16.04 LTE and on the LH side of the screen is a button called Ubuntu Software, in this I typed in a program called "Krusader" if I hit the Install button I am confronted with a password, it is not my system password and I am running as Administrator.
Can someone assist.
Thanks.

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 04:58 AM   #2
THEBERBSTER
Growing Old Disgracefully

Downloads: 1123

General quarters > General quarters > Send for Rockin Robbins
Peter
THEBERBSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 12:45 PM   #3
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Hello there! Whenever you start a software that can install software you are prompted for your password before you are given administrator privileges, even if you are logged into an administrator level account. This is the same password you use to log into the system on startup.

Ubuntu Software, Synaptic Package Manager and gdebi, along with the command prompt apt programs all require this password. You are asked when you start the program and then until you log off the program your credentials are good.

For instance, if I were to install Krusader from the command prompt I would type "sudo apt-get install Krusader" The system would respond with "Administrator password: " and I would have to enter my password, even though my account has administrator privileges.

Sudo means "supervisor do," apt-get is the name of the program that installs software (even the gui is using this routine), install is what you want apt-get to do and you want it to install Krusader.

I'll check out Krusader when I get home to see if I encounter anything strange there.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 03-29-17 at 01:10 PM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 07:10 PM   #4
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

I don't have a password to log in to Ubuntu at the start but if the computer sits for too long it turns partly off and moving the mouse starts it up again. I am prompted with a password and I enter it and all is going again, this password will not work when I try to install Krusader via "Ubuntu Software".
I still have a lot of reading and learning to do yet, the book pointed to this button and thought I'd give it a try on something I want to install.
Thanks.

Old 03-29-17, 07:49 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

So you're looking at this screen?

Now if Ubuntu starts without a password one of two things is happening:
  • You didn't set up a password. In this case just hit enter when it asks for your password and you're off to the races.
  • You set up a password but told Ubuntu to automatically log you in. In that case you must remember your administrator password used when you first set up Ubuntu and type it in. Ubuntu passwords are case sensitive. Bob and bob are two entirely different words.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 10:30 PM   #6
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

If I put in my password and enter I get "Your authentication attempt was unsuccessful, Please try again." The same thing if I leave it blank and hit enter.
I tried changing the password that was only 6 characters long and it wouldn't let me unless it had a minimum of 8, so maybe that was the problem, the new longer password worked or seemed to. The icon for Krusader is on the left bar, pointing to it displays "waiting to install" after 15 minutes nothing has changed, if I right click on it it shows "Krusader - root mode", what ever that is!!
Edit:
It seems this is a bug!!! Typical the first thing I try fails!!
Seems "Ubuntu Software Center" is useless, I now have to try an app called GDebi, now it is one thing to download it but how do I install it, and where?
I then have to open a terminal (haven't learned how to do that yet), and enter the following: "sudo apt-get install gdebi" or does this download it and install it????
I will try to read up on this!!
Edit:
Well I managed to get the updater going and updated 191mb of stuff, the Ubuntu Software Center is working now but ever so slow!! Not sure if updating actually fixed it but it is done. The book is definitely out dated and will have to pay the extra $$ to get a copy that covers this version.
I can't seem to find a list/menu of installed applications, the only way I can find them is through Ubuntu Software Center, there must be an easier way!!
The IT person that installed this selected 16.04 LTE, should I stick to this or update it?

This is a screenshot of the desktop:

Last edited by Reece; 03-30-17 at 02:30 AM.