Old 12-24-09, 06:36 PM   #316
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Hunter View Post
more misunderstanding
"It is/must be so" is not at all the same thing as "lets not be so quick to dismiss". Since you seem to be unable or unwilling to understand the difference I see little reason to keep discussing it with you.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 06:43 PM   #317
Fish
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Which, once again, I did not say. Just repeating it doesn't change that.
So what did you say then?

I understand it the same way antikristuseke does.
Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 07:43 PM   #318
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19

Quote:
"It is/must be so" is not at all the same thing as "lets not be so quick to dismiss". Since you seem to be unable or unwilling to understand the difference I see little reason to keep discussing it with you.
Well actually you didn't say "lets not be so quick to dismiss". You said "anything that has been believed by billions of people is probably something you ought not to be so quick to dismiss". With that "probably something" in there, you're basically saying that we shouldn't dismiss something believed by a large number of people/majority precisely because so many believe in it. Specifically, the "probably something" insinuates that there is in fact some credence and validity to their beliefs. You didn't give any other reason for us to think otherwise. So if you do mean something else, please, in addition to Fish's request, elaborate as to what you meant by this statement.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 07:55 PM   #319
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Well actually you didn't say "lets not be so quick to dismiss". You said "anything that has been believed by billions of people is probably something you ought not to be so quick to dismiss". With that "probably something" in there, you're basically saying that we shouldn't dismiss something believed by a large number of people/majority precisely because so many believe in it. Specifically, the "probably something" insinuates that there is in fact some credence and validity to their beliefs. You didn't give any other reason for us to think otherwise. So if you do mean something else, please, in addition to Fish's request, elaborate as to what you meant by this statement.
You're splitting hairs and bringing down my Christmas spirit so I don't think I'll play this game with you any more. Enjoy Christ's gift to you of a day off tomorrow.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 08:06 PM   #320
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Splitting hairs? I'm doing no such thing. I'm just simply trying to figure out what kind of cryptic message you're sending. One thing to another. Why you refuse to just give me a sentence or two for an answer is beyond me. Not that it matters at this rate. I mean, you said you weren't going to talk this over anymore. Honestly, I don't even know why I'm even typing this specific post. But whatever.

Merry Sol Invictus, everyone!
Old 12-24-09, 09:09 PM   #321
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 3

August, So far I have understood what you said just as Stealth Hunter has. Not deliberately. but with English being my tretiary language I am bound to misunderstand some things. I would appreciate it if you tried to explain what you ment a little better to me, but for now enjoy your christmas.
antikristuseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-09, 09:24 PM   #322
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Relax man, your English is fine. Damn good actually.
Old 12-24-09, 09:46 PM   #323
Snestorm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Enjoy Christ's gift to you of a day off tomorrow.
I'll enjoy my gift to me of a day off.
And I'll thank myself for it too.
Old 12-24-09, 11:27 PM   #324
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Relax man, your English is fine. Damn good actually.
I know, just misunderstandings are a bitch.
Old 12-25-09, 01:47 AM   #325
Aramike
Ocean Warrior

Best of SUBSIM
Chairman

Downloads: 59

Quote:
However. Saying that atheism is a belief is like saying that a statement like "There are no pink elephants on the backside of Neptune is a belief, too. What we know is that there is not the smallest reason whatever to assume that there are pink elephants on the dark side of Neptune. To claim this scepticism already is a belief, would give the term "belief" such an inflationary diversity of possible contexts and meanings, that the term by that is rendered meaningless, since it could mean all and everything, then.
Indeed, while I fall on the side of the atheist, I believe this point to be wrong. We can reasonably assume there are no pink elephants on the dark side of Neptune through science and observation. The same does not lend itself to the concept of God or a creator.

In fact, one of the biggest problems of modern physics is the misnomer applied to the so-called "Big Bang" event, which is the phrase "Big Bang Theory". In reality, calling such event a "theory" is misleading as it precludes any explanation of "why". Now, there are currently some very promising leads attempting to explain the cause of the creation of our universe (M-theory being the standout), but still - we have only a loose collection of mathematics and little experimentally verified data to support such postulations.

In other words, on the question of creation (and subsequentally, a Creator), ANYTHING and EVERYTHING is a belief.

Hell, modern physics even lends itself to the LIKELIHOOD of INFINITE POSSIBILITIES, which would not preclude a creator. There are even postulations of M-theory and experiments planned that include the CREATION of other universes.

The fact is that, beyond the observable data (things within the 13.7 billion years following the Big Bang), we simply have no solid idea. Whereas, scientifically, we do KNOW that there is minimal likelihood of ANY kind of elephant on Neptune.

Personally, I believe that any Creator was likely random chance, such as the intersection of two parallel "membranes" in our universe. Yet I have no data whatsoever to support that idea - only pretty mathematics (which are still incomplete). That's a belief, and is no more or less valid than the idea of an intelligent creator, in my opinion.

I simply disagree with the theist. I don't assign any burden of proof (as though that's anyone onus to assign in the first place), I don't look down my nose, and I don't disparage any other belief. I merely disagree.
Aramike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-09, 03:30 PM   #326
Nicolas
Commander

Downloads: 196
Uploads: 4

I would prefer to die before reject God, something strong in my inside (the Spirit of God) it's something just i can't deny.
You can think i'm a fanatic, but I'm quiet, and i just want to share my experience with God, that i have full certainty is good, of good name, beatiful.

We are people made from flesh, but also a soul and spirit, we humans are sick, sick in the soul, that only the sacrifice of Jesus can fix.

God bless you all... Happy Christmas.

And, please start throwing whatever... .
Nicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 08:38 PM   #327
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

^

Old 12-29-09, 09:17 PM   #328
antikristuseke
Silent Hunter

Nicolas
Old 12-30-09, 02:11 AM   #329
jimbob
Ensign

Downloads: 365
Uploads: 6

Quote:
^

This !
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-09, 03:57 AM   #330
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Haha, anyone else getting this ad in this thread?
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote