SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-09, 08:41 AM   #16
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
Installed Win7 RC on a friends PC yesterday: 1,8GHZ P4 with 512MB RDRAM and Radeon 9250 graphics card. Ran fine.

No aero offcourse, but it worked, smoother than XP (think 34 processes right after install). Only problem was not being able to get online because no driver was installed for NIC. I don't know whether this was because of Win7 still being in test-version, or the antique components in that PC not being supported anymore. Actually this applies to more components, such as sound cards.

Word of advice:

If you plan on putting this on your primary and perhaps only PC, collect all the drivers you need after intalling Win7 beforehand.
That's good advice !!! From what I've heard and read, 7 is better about finding hardware than Vista was when released (had nightmares 'o plenty with that)! Once I figure out what hardware I'm going to have I'll start collecting drivers on my flash drive.
Old 05-06-09, 01:44 PM   #17
Zachstar
Sea Lord

Downloads: 13

The drivers that come on the DVD are limited and when it finally hits the stores there will likely be more.

The main thing tho is for petes sakes PLEASE have drivers for your network card ready. Everything else is not important because most of them will come back once windows update installs the drivers for them if the hardware maker allowed them to do so.

I look forward to upgrading (Using 7 build 7000 right now) Just got to get my stuff backed up first.

Zachstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 10:24 PM   #18
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Pleased to report the refresh issue with CRT monitor is fixed (wouldn't go above 60). Also, the "open submenus when I pause on them with the cursor" option now works. Haven't had time to explore any further, but it seems they paid close attention to feedback.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 10:03 AM   #19
Arclight
Navy Seal

Well, I did it. Borked my first install.

Was messing around with getting 70hz in games, when my CRT went black. Everytime the NVIDIA drivers loaded, the screen would go black. Uninstalled drivers, reinstalled, uninstalled again, tryed different drivers, nothing worked. Thank god I have LCD for secondary, but that didn't help me either; yes I could see what I was doing but the CRT wouldn't work anymore. Everytime I hooked both screens up, both would go black. Tried going online to look for solution... to find out I was suddenly and mysteriously disconnected, no way to repair connection.

Oh, and Comodo kept giving an error when trying to update, so I tried uninstall, which caused BSOD (1st one ever).

Now on my 2nd install, let's see if this one holds out for more than 24hrs.

I think beta was more stable Good run, but they fumbled 1 yard short of the end zone.

Last edited by Arclight; 05-07-09 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-07-09, 07:30 PM   #20
Peto
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 4

Which series of Nvidia's drivers are you using (8xxx, 9xxx, etc)? Do you think the problem might be caused by having different refresh rates for different monitors? Odd that video crossed over to your network (nVidia network software?).

I hope you don't mind me asking questions. I'm just being selfish and hoping to avoid my own "challenges" by capitalizing on your frustration ! I'm taking my time with my own new build so it'll probable be a week-month till I actually fire my new gear. Case and PWS on the way now though (Antec 900 and Corsair 650W (Seasonic was just too expensive)).

Good Luck with your RC tribulations...
Old 05-08-09, 04:25 AM   #21
Arclight
Navy Seal

Don't mind questions at all, I like speculating.

Card is 8800GTS 512 (G92 core, like the 9 series). Once the problem occured it didn't matter what I installed, but it initially happened while running 182.06 32-bit drivers. Board has Intel P35 chipset.

I think the mix of CRT and LCD monitors might have something to do with it, though I think the lack of support for older CRTs lies at the core; more people are using LCD nowadays so that's where they focused their efforts. For some reason Win7 thinks the CRT can't do more than 60hz unless it's running 1024x768, while XP recognized the screen being capable of 1280x960 @70hz.

2 things to mention: I had Rivatuner set up to force 70hz at 1280x960 at all times, which didn't seem to be working. The problem occured as I was trying to set up a custom res in Nvidia control panel (1280x960 70hz). Clicked the icon for the CRT, set up the res, tested, failed. Tried again, test, succes. But the res got assigned to the LCD instead of the CRT. Deleted it, selected CRT again, set it up, clicked test and went black. Just seems to be some conflict between Win7 and CRTs or Win7 and Nvidia control panel.

Now that I think about it, had an issue with my new install too: couldn't select 75hz for the LCD in Nvidia panel, but could through Win7s own method (display properties>advanced). Definitely something wrong there.

Just before everything went black, my CRT indicated it switched to a 35hz mode. It's almost like the hertzes (?) got "split" between the 2 screens; instead of 1 running at 70 and the other at 75, both got 35 which obviously doesn't work. As if the 2 screens got handled as 1? Sounds really weird, but it's the best sense I can make of it.

The LAN problem was because I have 2 NICs: 1 onboard (realtek) and 1 add-in card (antique 3com leftover) to connect to a switch and other PCs on a network. For some reason windows decided to ignore the onboard and opted to use the add-in card for internet. Probably could have straightend it out, but because the monitors where freaking out I choose to reïnstall. Why the problem occured in the first place is beyond me.

Oh, and that Corsair 650Watt has Seasonic components. Good choice IMHO.