SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-02-08, 08:42 PM   #76
The Butcher
Loader

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0
Default Career start dates

What can I do to set a day of the month other than the first for a start date. I've tried changing it in Patrol_0 but when I go back in to the game it resets because I had not started the career so it wasn't saved.

Thanks
The Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 08:50 PM   #77
JScones
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Butcher
What can I do to set a day of the month other than the first for a start date. I've tried changing it in Patrol_0 but when I go back in to the game it resets because I had not started the career so it wasn't saved.
Nothing. SH3 starts all patrols on the first of the month. I know I've tried everything I can think of over the years to fool SH3 into accepting a different start day. And as you have found, there is simply no data element stored anywhere that controls this (and career files are not created until the first patrol has started, which is too late).

Perhaps someone with more passion on this aspect may like to analyse it...if they succeed then they'll make a lot of players happy.
JScones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-08, 09:07 PM   #78
The Butcher
Loader

Arrgg.

Thanks for the quick response.
I appreciate your hard work.
Old 05-02-08, 09:09 PM   #79
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScones
Quote:
Nothing. SH3 starts all patrols on the first of the month. I know I've tried everything I can think of over the years to fool SH3 into accepting a different start day. And as you have found, there is simply no data element stored anywhere that controls this (and career files are not created until the first patrol has started, which is too late).

Perhaps someone with more passion on this aspect may like to analyse it...if they succeed then they'll make a lot of players happy.
Here's an ugly way around the problem:

Before launching the game, open basic.cfg and go to the very end of the file. There's an upgrade there called "special" or something similar. Set the daysspentinbase to n-1, where n is the day of the month you want to start your first patrol (so if you want to start on the 9th, set it to 8). Now fire up SH3 and start a career, and before you do anything else apply an emblem (any emblem) to your sub. Voila - the date is now the 9th (or whatever). Remember to undo the change to basic.cfg after you exit SH3.

I've got lots of issues with date handling in SH3, and I use this trick (which I read about here on the forums) all the time as an all-purpose fix.
Old 05-02-08, 09:14 PM   #80
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelifecrisis

Before launching the game, open basic.cfg and go to the very end of the file. There's an upgrade there called "special" or something similar. Set the daysspentinbase to n-1, where n is the day of the month you want to start your first patrol (so if you want to start on the 9th, set it to 8). Now fire up SH3 and start a career, and before you do anything else apply an emblem (any emblem) to your sub. Voila - the date is now the 9th (or whatever). Remember to undo the change to basic.cfg after you exit SH3.
Of course, I'd forgotten about this one!

I think some players are reluctant to try this because of SH3's penchant to not record tonnage if you upgrade or make any changes before starting a patrol, but I, like I'm sure many others, set the emblem always before patrol #1 and have never had the missing tonnage problem.

Manual-ish as it may be, it's the best known way to achieve your outcome at this time.
Old 05-02-08, 09:17 PM   #81
onelifecrisis
Maverick Modder

Downloads: 65
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Quote:

Of course, I'd forgotten about this one!

I think some players are reluctant to try this because of SH3's penchant to not record tonnage if you upgrade or make any changes before starting a patrol, but I, like I'm sure many others, set the emblem always before patrol #1 and have never had the missing tonnage problem.

Manual-ish as it may be, it's the best known way to achieve your outcome at this time.
Good point. I've never tried doing this on the first patrol (I don't mind starting on the 1st ) so I don't know if it'll invoke that renown bug or not. :hmm: Your choice, your risk, Butcher.

Edit: One thing I always do before any patrol, including the first, is swap all my torps for TIIs, and I never had that renown bug from doing that. Maybe we're both lucky!?
Old 05-03-08, 12:25 AM   #82
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Uploads: 25

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehunter
So what do you suggest I do with my tex folders in the skin mods? Is there a new setup with GWX 2.0 2.1?
Don't ask me, I'm not on the GWX team.

I do know that GWX removed the tex folder as far back as GWX1 (when I was on the team and built the installer) - the .tga files were re-packed into the .dat files to improve performance. This doesn't mean though that you can't still add files to the tex folder, which is what a lot (perhaps even the majority?) of mods still do. It just means that the first mod to create the folder becomes the owner of the folder, as opposed to SH3 itself. Basic integrity - nothing more, nothing less. And certainly nothing that is related to JSGME; it's just reacting to what it is presented with.

The way I see it, you have two options: either accept the file/folder integrity with the assurance that JSGME is maintaining sound integrity of your SH3 installation; or disable all mods, manually create the tex folder and then re-enable all mods again. With the folder then existing "at source", you won't have a folder integrity problem when any mod goes to add to it.
I didn't think of that idea, thanks,

But I won't do anything different just inform those who are having an issue with the warning message. I allready had an idea that it wasn't a problem with the JSGME or any other addon mod. I'll live well hehehe. Back to hunting
Old 05-03-08, 12:31 AM   #83
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Quote:
Good point. I've never tried doing this on the first patrol (I don't mind starting on the 1st ) so I don't know if it'll invoke that renown bug or not. :hmm: Your choice, your risk, Butcher.

Edit: One thing I always do before any patrol, including the first, is swap all my torps for TIIs, and I never had that renown bug from doing that. Maybe we're both lucky!?
I never heard of this renown bug? What happens. When I start a earliest possible time I upgrade using the few points I have and also take a emblem and so far I haven't seen any issues? What happens when this bug kicks in?:hmm:
Old 05-03-08, 12:57 AM   #84
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
I never heard of this renown bug? What happens. When I start a earliest possible time I upgrade using the few points I have and also take a emblem and so far I haven't seen any issues? What happens when this bug kicks in?:hmm:
Sometimes if you buy upgrades before the very first patrol of a new career, you won't get renown for any ships you sink that patrol.
Old 05-03-08, 01:25 AM   #85
Wolfehunter
Crusty Capt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve
Quote:
Sometimes if you buy upgrades before the very first patrol of a new career, you won't get renown for any ships you sink that patrol.
The only time I ever saw something similar to that was when I used to dock at a port after finishing a patrol. I used to hate seeing my kill but not getting rewarded for it. So I end game near the area.

Thanks Steve
Old 05-03-08, 02:22 PM   #86
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Hello Jscones,

"Frankly, I think *no* answer would be direct enough for you Catfish"

Wow thanks. First there was no definite "no". Second you asked whether anyone used the "Start at sea" option in SH3 Commander, and if there were any problems. :hmm:
Thanks and greetings,
Catfish
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-08, 05:04 PM   #87
simsurfer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 54

Hey, I just installed it, nice, thans again. I do hope you develop one for SH IV. Just waiting for the day.

Thnaks again.
Old 05-03-08, 08:12 PM   #88
The Butcher
Loader

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've got lots of issues with date handling in SH3, and I use this trick (which I read about here on the forums) all the time as an all-purpose fix.
I am constantly amazed by the wealth of knowledge in this community.

So I should be able to write a series of "basic.cfg" files with different days (unless there is an easier way) that someone could enable through JSGME before starting a career. I'm fairly comfortable that the upgade bug doesn't include the emblems since I have always added an emblem when I start a career, unless the change in days is what triggers it. Sorry for hijacking your thread (I did mention a fine Jones Soft product). Thanks JS and OLC
Old 05-03-08, 08:18 PM   #89
JScones
Navy Seal

Quote:
So I should be able to write a series of "basic.cfg" files with different days (unless there is an easier way) that someone could enable through JSGME before starting a career. I'm fairly comfortable that the upgade bug doesn't include the emblems since I have always added an emblem when I start a career, unless the change in days is what triggers it. Sorry for hijacking your thread (I did mention a fine Jones Soft product). Thanks
Do you want random days?

If so, add the below to SH3Cmdr\Cfg\Randomised events.cfg (anywhere - beginning to end):
Code:
[0:data\Cfg\Basic.cfg] ; <- this must be a unique name, hence the numerical prefix
SPECIAL2|DaysSpent=I|0|27|N
This addition randomises the days taken to apply an emblem to between 0 and 27, so once you get your emblem, you could start at any time during the month.

Obviously you can adjust the 0 and 27 to whatever values you want.

If you want a static value, you can edit Basic.cfg directly (rollback SH3Cmdr first of course), or, simply add the following line to SH3Cmdr\Cfg\Static settings.cfg:
Code:
[1:data\Cfg\Basic.cfg]
SPECIAL2|DaysSpent=14
Doing the latter ensures that the value is applied *every time* you run SH3, regardless of what mods you apply in the meantime.
Old 05-03-08, 08:34 PM   #90
The Butcher
Loader

I am trying to enable someone with the most basic of skills to start a career on a day other than the 1st. It will allow me to get people started on a campaign game sooner. If they have to wait too long it becomes tedious. After they start the Commander the "set days in port" function works perfectly for what I need. If I use that randomize function there is no input option in Commander correct? If not I think I'm better off with the JSGME angle, so they can take it out. Otherwise they may change their emblem later and end up with extra days in port. Thanks for the help.