SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-05-19, 04:12 PM   #1
ggouveia
Swabbie

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0
Default Getting Pissed off at Uboot damage model??

I'm sick and tired of sneaking within a convoy column at night decks awash during happy time, lining up the 2 fat targets at 250 m range, firing 4 torpedos sinking both, then within 30 seconds my U-boat is holed up hull damaged but no breaks.

I then go into crash dive dive to 75 m or so, survive depth charge attacks while silent running with engines quiet, tell idiot engineer early on we are taking too much water more crews to damage control early early on. Get messages pressure hull repaired etc.. yet try to stabilize my depth and it keeps sinking!!!!!

|There is no breach, inner and outer hulls are at 86%, 75%, 65%, yet it still drops like a rock.

I get to 125m and blow ballasts hoping enough compressed air does the trick, it begins to rise I try to maintain depth order, still drops even though with compressed air I was rising. As soon as I switch off the air I drop more.

Is my damage model f-ed up?????? Why are these guys at night complete marksmen during happy time??????

I don't get it, any help would be appreciated. No hull breach until I get to 265m, then it's game over.

It's so damb frustrating I'm ready to pack this game in as I've put so many hours playing this.

I am using the current version of TWoS, I assume the more dramatic sinking effects mod is for the targets not my U-boat?????????

Pissed off and frustrated.
ggouveia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-19, 06:41 PM   #2
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

Nothing is wrong with your model. The truth is, the uboat is the most horrible war machine in terms of defense and armor. Any damage in any form can be lethal!

Just because your Hull is fine does not mean your pumps, stuffing boxes, torpedo tube, etc are good. Leaks can occur in any place on that boat.

Having a stable hull only means you don’t have to worry about the ocean crushing your body with hundreds of pounds per sq inch when it collapses.

Your boat in normal operation leaks normally and is pumped out via bilge pump. You may have damage in areas where your bilge cannot keep up.

Attacking on surface is dangerous!

Hope this helps!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-19, 08:34 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome aboard! Nikki

ggouveia!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-19, 01:54 AM   #4
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

If by "no breach" you mean no flooding, that only means more water is not pouring into the boat. You might have taken in too much water already, in which case boat will keep sinking until water is pumped out (which might take a while especially if your pumps are damaged too). In shallow water, you might have chance to wait it out on the bottom, but otherwise you're pretty much done for.

Historically, if so much water got in that only way to keep the boat from sinking was blowing ballast tanks, the U-Boat commander would blow the tanks completely and tell the crew to abandon ship as soon as they break the surface.
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-19, 04:22 PM   #5
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

just wait until your rudder gets blown off by a near miss depth charge and you have to end the game because you can only go straight forward and backwards