Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-20, 04:59 PM   #1
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Downloads: 936
Uploads: 0
Default Surfaced from Lockdown

Hi Shipmates, something i've been mulling over the last few days as we ease the lockdown here in the UK, ill keep it short:-

My neighbour, a paramedic caught the Covid19 virus, luckily he survived and is back home, i live in a small town in Scotland so it was unexpected (ignorant i know).
Since I found out about my neighbour I haven't left the house in 8 weeks until today.
I've been working from home since the end of March, my company made sure we could all work from home (provided I.T and everything, a great company).
As we begin to ease off restrictions my wife wanted to go out today on a walk in the hills, this is something we always did prior to the virus and i'm big into my photography so we would be out for hours and hours.
Today when we went out all i felt was anxiety, from the minute we left all i could concentrate on was getting back home, we found a great secluded walk and walked for about 3 hours, i hated every minute of it and all i wanted to do was get back home.
I try my best to ignore the news, i do my work on a daily basis, help the wife with the chores when i can and in the evening i get into SH4 and relax, keep my mind occupied, I avoid all discussions with the wife about the pandemic and where we are and what next, i just don't want to know what my governments plans are.

This weekend in my local town the beaches are full, the parks are full, the shops are full, the only place that feels safe to me is my home, we have plenty pf provisions, we don't bulk buy but i make a list and a two week plan of the meals we'll have and book an online shopping delivery.

I just wanted to vent off and see if anyone else out there feels the same, truth be told i don't even want to out and mingle with the population anymore i really don't, and i know that is a sad statement for a 47 year old former submariner. I am quite happy with isolation, its in my blood i suppose.

Last edited by sonicninja; 05-30-20 at 05:21 PM.
sonicninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 05:22 PM   #2
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon11

I would not be too anxious, just keep the usual caution for one or two months more. I take it that walking and wandering in 'plein air' is not a problem at all. A problem would be being in one confined room together with lots of others, for hours.

If you are living in rural areas i do not think that the virus will be a real problem right now. Do not make close contact to strangers, stay away from public meetings and such, wear a mask in shops and you will be alright. I know this is bad enough, but i really would not just easily follow the UK's slackening of the lockdown, you can see everywhere that politicias have anything in mind (ECONOMY!!!), but surely not the wellbeing of their suborddinates, or whatever they call it nowadays
But do not be too anxious, this is worse than the virus

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 05:54 PM   #3
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Thanks for the reply Catfish, i have no intention of being around people in general for a long time, thanks for taking the time to read my post shipmate, your words are appreciated.
Old 05-30-20, 06:01 PM   #4
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

I wish that you and your wife stay safe and healthy, sonicninja!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-20, 06:54 PM   #5
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
I wish that you and your wife stay safe and healthy, sonicninja!
Thank you Catfish, stay safe too
Old 05-30-20, 11:03 PM   #6
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Catfish? I do fish for catfish, but I'm not catfish, lol.

Thank you too.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Old 05-31-20, 03:02 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

"Its genetic". I mean, don't worry too much for your way of living. I am pretty much like you too, maybe not as extreme, but with now 53 years I prefer my time being spend alone, and never needed it to have people around and a "rich social life". Actually, needing to care for too many social contacts is work, is annoying. Few, but better, is my parole. Peopel are different. The virus did not bother me, I thought about it, implemennted some cautionary and I say reasonable measures from every early on: I wore masks when entering supermarkets earlier than most other people, and I tried some nutrition tricks to beef up my immune system's strength, I wash my hands for a inute when comign back home and do so again after I have unpacked bags and storeed everythign away, and I do what I did beforee anway: I stayed for myself an kept distance to others when being outdoor. And I bit others away if they got too close. Peop0le are different, and I do not necessarily need it to leave the house at leats once every day. If you are like this too, fine, everything is okay.

As a submariner you have further adopted to this lifestyle, i assume. And maybe this was what attracted you to submarines in the first.

Now, you said "anxiety". I do not know whether that is related to the virus threat, or due to having left your home, the roof over your head missing, being in the wide open. I would - hesitently - consider a very small chance for you being vulnerable to agoraphobia, but that is really just a chance, and if you do nature photography, then you must have gotten used to being outdoors a lot in scotland. If you never had a feeling of anxiety back then, then forget about agoraphobia.

In open outside places, the risk of catching the virus is very, very, very low if people are not within 10m or so, and evena bicycle or jogger passing you can infect you - but most likely will not. Having somebody standing close by at a traffic light is something that could trigger you stepping away a few steps, and crowds I would evade anyway, and entering shops I do only with selfprotecting FFP2/3 masks, and I limit the shopping days a smuch as I cna and cut short the time I spend indoors of shops. Sometimes I mind the wind, if I cannot apovid haviong people nearby, but not too much. But you walking with your wife in lonely open nature - don't bother with feeling worried! The only risk around is - your wife. Social distancing, not by 2m but by 10m where possible, should ease you of any further anxciety due to the virus. Stay out od enclosed compartments, to avoid aerosols. All that you did not tlak of, you said your anxiety is when leavign the house and beign outdoors. No risk there I see. Relax.
Old 05-31-20, 11:08 AM   #8
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Thank you for sharing your heart with us sonicninja

Very interesting for I think I will feel similar if I ever get back out for that long.
I have only ventured out to the store and the post office so far since mid March.

I don't even trust my church today and I doubt if I will ever trust a movie theater or a sports event or a water park
or even bowling until a solution to cure and prevent Covid-19 is available, but even then I don't want to be first.

These are troubling times 2020 will mark the beginning of something else coming down the road for over 6 billion people.

Perhaps the world is getting too big for all of us?

I don't buy this Covid-19 is natural and not man made in a lab somewhere or at least an experiment on animals resold in the market place.

But if we buy the story that is due to natural causes ... then why did it start in the mystery state of China? We know how it got transferred
to the rest of the world by China shutting down Wuhan from the rest of China, but not from the world of which the people in the infected
area were still allowed to travel, especially the garment districts of italy.

Here's a chart that I think is way off for 2065 due to wars and rumor of wars yet to be fought, but it is an eye opener for sure.

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 12:34 PM   #9
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Sonic,

Interesting story but you left out the most critical part!!

Canon or Nikon?
Old 05-31-20, 01:00 PM   #10
sonicninja
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Sonic,

Interesting story but you left out the most critical part!!

Canon or Nikon?
Nikon D500 & 7200 shipmate
Old 05-31-20, 01:20 PM   #11
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Uploads: 13

My personal experiences amount to the following...

My brother-in-law caught the virus and thankfully survived.

My son-in-law works at the local hospital and he is the father of my only grandchild and again thankfully he remains clear up to this point.

On the other side of the coin we have or should I say had neighbours less than two hundred yards away. The son was a male nurse living with his parents and all three died of it within two days of one another.

Stay safe everyone.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-20, 03:12 PM   #12
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicninja View Post
Nikon D500 & 7200 shipmate

OK, then your story has credibility.
Old 05-31-20, 07:48 PM   #13
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

My son-in-law works at the local hospital and he is the father of my only grandchild and again thankfully he remains clear up to this point.
My aunt works at the local hospital and is the head nurse of the floor with the COVID patients on it. They are the real heroes here, not the McDonalds workers or whatever.

I'm thankful as well that she has stayed clear.

Old 06-02-20, 05:45 PM   #14
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Our formerly quiet rural road is now a playground for battalions of cyclists and joggers. I have to look up and down the road for these buggers any time I want to step out to get to my trash bins or mailbox... even to clip my hedge, for many of them make no effort to give you a wide berth as they go by. I even got a whiff of some bloke's aftershave a while back. So going for a walk now is stressful for us too, and involves constantly looking over our shoulders for 'zees', as I've started calling them (that's zombies)

We get one main grocery shop each week and that can be stressful for my wife because there, too, many just seem to ignore social distancing

As for the photos of the crowded beaches last weekend... they ought to drop napalm on the lot of them
Old 06-02-20, 06:09 PM   #15
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

There is a similar situation where I live, though a bit more urban; those bothersome rental scooters and electric bike that had disappeared during our lockdown have made their reappearance in the past few days now that some of the restrictions have been lifted and the idiots who zip about with no regard for pedestrians have also reappeared...

<O>