SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-10, 04:14 PM   #31
thehiredgun
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 517
Uploads: 0
video cards for SH3 GWX3.0

It is a regular pci card. I really appreciate your knowledge.
thehiredgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 04:32 PM   #32
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 29
OW.. a standard pci slot... ok - that makes it alot more difficult.

About the best your going to be able to do with a standard PCI slot is a HD 4350. Should handle SH3 without an issue, though the slot could still bottleneck you. One source I found was the following:

http://www.directron.com/ap4350512md2h.html

I can't speak to the seller though - never dealt with them.

On the positive side - with a PCI slot, you don't have to worry about your PSU rating nearly as much.

Captain Haplo
CaptainHaplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 04:41 PM   #33
thehiredgun
Samurai Navy

Default video cards for SH3 GWX3.0

Thanks for the info
Old 03-27-10, 04:43 PM   #34
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

NP Mate - Good luck.

Captain Haplo
Old 03-29-10, 12:28 PM   #35
thehiredgun
Samurai Navy

Default another video card for another computer

CaptainHaplo my newer computer Novolis has a ati radeon 4870 pci express in it & it causes some video problems in it. Can you recommend an ATI upgrade for this card. This computer is only 1 year old. It's the new ones that all all usb ports. I can spend up to $200.00 for it. Thanks
Old 03-29-10, 08:54 PM   #36
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Best ATI card under $200 right now would be a 5770 card.

I would go with a solid manufacturer like XFX - can't beat a lifetime warranty!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...156&CatId=3585

You could get em a few bucks cheaper, but not with the warranty terms.

However, before you go spending the cash on something like that - two things I have to ask.

Is the PC/Vid card in question still under warranty? If so, then I would go that route to save the cash. If not, then the next question is - why did it die so fast? Any chance the machine is overheating? Would hate to see you spend on a new card and have the same problem down the road.

Captain Haplo
Old 03-29-10, 09:37 PM   #37
thehiredgun
Samurai Navy

What do u do if the computer is overheating? The computer runs 24/7. most of the time? We have takened it to the place we got it & they say they can not find nothing wrong with it. But they do not run it constantly with the game too. It crashes allot too. It is not very old. we paid allot of money for this Nobilis computer.
Old 03-29-10, 10:36 PM   #38
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

First thing to do is verify that it is overheating. If it is, that could cause crashes and video corruption.

Best way to check is to use an application that will monitor the temps realtime. I use the CPUID Hardware Monitor. The price is right (as its FREE!!!)

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Install and run it - then run your games. What you want to look at are the third and fourth sections. The third is your CPU temperatures (plural since you likely have at least a dual core cpu) - the fourth is your graphics card temperature.

Heat wise - you don't want your CPU to ever hit above 60 degrees C.
The GPU (Graphics card) per ATI can go as high as 104 degrees C. Preferably, you want it at 95 or under, but max is 104.

Run your game for a while, and every once in a while - Alt Tab out and check the temps. If you see them climbing into dangerous territory (its ok if it heats up - just it should stabilize), then you know that whatever your playing is stressing the component that is heating up too much.

Heat buildup can come from any number of things - but in most PC's they end up almost always being due to crappy air flow. So first off - where is the PC box itself? Is it in one of those "hideaway" computer compartments under a desk? Places like that are enclosed - meaning that even if its pusing air well - its working with hot air so its going to heat up. (My rig has to come out of such a cubby and have the side off due to air flow issues - I am dealing with it only because I will be switching to liquid cooling soon.) Make sure it has plenty of room around it to get air. Also make sure all the fans are turning in the case, and see if you have spots in the case for additional fans to help suck in cooler air and exhaust the hot stuff.

If you are overheating - take the pc back to the shop - and show them how you overheat (make em run the game or whatever of 10 minutes or so and tell em what temps you were seeing) - let em know that they have to keep the box cooler - but only do this if you know that where you keep the box has plenty of airflow. If you keep it in an enclosed spot and it heats up, pull it out and play it awhile just sitting in the open - see if that solves the issue first. If so, fans won't help - you gotta give it air. If it overheats in the open - then they need additional fans to keep it cool.

Of course - if overheating isn't the issue, then all this is moot. However, the fact they can't find a problem - and the corruption / crashing isn't constant - but is there in gaming - reinforces the heat possibility.

Let us know if there is more we can do. Good luck.

Captain Haplo
Old 03-29-10, 10:48 PM   #39
thehiredgun
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHaplo View Post
First thing to do is verify that it is overheating. If it is, that could cause crashes and video corruption.

Best way to check is to use an application that will monitor the temps realtime. I use the CPUID Hardware Monitor. The price is right (as its FREE!!!)

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Install and run it - then run your games. What you want to look at are the third and fourth sections. The third is your CPU temperatures (plural since you likely have at least a dual core cpu) - the fourth is your graphics card temperature.

Heat wise - you don't want your CPU to ever hit above 60 degrees C.
The GPU (Graphics card) per ATI can go as high as 104 degrees C. Preferably, you want it at 95 or under, but max is 104.

Run your game for a while, and every once in a while - Alt Tab out and check the temps. If you see them climbing into dangerous territory (its ok if it heats up - just it should stabilize), then you know that whatever your playing is stressing the component that is heating up too much.

Heat buildup can come from any number of things - but in most PC's they end up almost always being due to crappy air flow. So first off - where is the PC box itself? Is it in one of those "hideaway" computer compartments under a desk? Places like that are enclosed - meaning that even if its pusing air well - its working with hot air so its going to heat up. (My rig has to come out of such a cubby and have the side off due to air flow issues - I am dealing with it only because I will be switching to liquid cooling soon.) Make sure it has plenty of room around it to get air. Also make sure all the fans are turning in the case, and see if you have spots in the case for additional fans to help suck in cooler air and exhaust the hot stuff.

If you are overheating - take the pc back to the shop - and show them how you overheat (make em run the game or whatever of 10 minutes or so and tell em what temps you were seeing) - let em know that they have to keep the box cooler - but only do this if you know that where you keep the box has plenty of airflow. If you keep it in an enclosed spot and it heats up, pull it out and play it awhile just sitting in the open - see if that solves the issue first. If so, fans won't help - you gotta give it air. If it overheats in the open - then they need additional fans to keep it cool.

Of course - if overheating isn't the issue, then all this is moot. However, the fact they can't find a problem - and the corruption / crashing isn't constant - but is there in gaming - reinforces the heat possibility.

Let us know if there is more we can do. Good luck.
Thanks I will try that & let u know.

The computer does not seem to be over heating so I guess I get a new video card. The one u sent me is not VGA supported. Is there one to the one u sent me compatible with VGA support?

Last edited by thehiredgun; 03-30-10 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-31-10, 03:15 PM   #40
thehiredgun
Samurai Navy

need new video card

Captain Haplo can you help me find a new video card, The one u sent me is not VGA supported & that's what I need unless u know some way or adapter I can use for this card. I am interested in the XFX 5770 u sent the link to. Thanks. Anyone else can help too Thanks to all your helps.
Old 03-31-10, 05:25 PM   #41
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Hmmm - ok - not sure what you mean by VGA support. Maybe its just been too long a day at work, but I am drawing a blank. Do you mean it needs to have the standard vga plug on it (the 15 pin D style)?

Captain Haplo
Old 03-31-10, 06:15 PM   #42
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

Think he does, and if so, he'll be happy to know most cards come with a DVI-VGA (DE-15, whatever) adapter.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-10, 07:09 PM   #43
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Yes that was my thought - if your thinking the standard db15 for the monitor - all the newer cards include a HDMI to db15 adapter.

Captain Haplo
Old 03-31-10, 07:40 PM   #44
thehiredgun
Samurai Navy

Thanks everybody
Old 03-31-10, 08:16 PM   #45
CaptainHaplo
Silent Hunter

Thats what we are here for!

BTW - congrats - thats one sweet card your gonna get!

Captain Haplo