Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Icon8 Slippery slope when we stop enforcing laws

Man, this long but really hard to stop reading
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...xtdoor/598156/

Amazing, so many dynamics at play.

Quote:
In January 2018, Arnold (neighbor who caught thief Fairley in act of stealing packages off people's homes) took time off from work to attend one of Fairley’s (neighborhood thief) hearings, at the suggestion of the prosecutor then handling the case. (An organized group of San Franciscans also has taken to sitting in on burglary cases to show elected judges that voters are watching.) While Arnold sat in the courtroom, his wife texted that Fairley wouldn’t be showing up: She was on their stoop that very moment, apparently in the middle of another stealing expedition.
Catch and release at its finest.

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 10:36 AM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

a typical day on the mean streets of Frisco....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 10:45 AM   #3
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Is that Fairley again?

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 10:46 AM   #4
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

San Francisco is like that strip of land between the State of Washington and Alaska called B.C.

They do what they want when they want and what they want. I seriously think it had something to do with the big earthquake they had in 1906.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1906_S...sco_earthquake

Quote:
The 1906 San Francisco earthquake struck the coast of Northern California at 5:12 a.m. on Wednesday, April 18 with an estimated moment magnitude of 7.9 and a maximum Mercalli intensity of XI (Extreme). High intensity shaking was felt from Eureka on the North Coast to the Salinas Valley, an agricultural region to the south of the San Francisco Bay Area. Devastating fires soon broke out in the city and lasted for several days. As a result, up to 3,000 people died and over 80% of the city of San Francisco was destroyed.
I figure all the men and women got mixed up in death with the ghost getting into whoever they could and that's why they have so many gay problems even to this day.

Don't bash me
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-19, 06:38 PM   #5
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

while I can empathize with the situation, Those citizens voted their government into office knowing what policies the candidates were pushing. They now get first hand experience with the law of unintended consequences.

I also predict that those governments will double down on these type of "feel good" policies, and things will get worse before they get any better (if they ever do).
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 12:59 AM   #6
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
San Francisco is like that strip of land between the State of Washington and Alaska called B.C.

They do what they want when they want and what they want. I seriously think it had something to do with the big earthquake they had in 1906.

I figure all the men and women got mixed up in death with the ghost getting into whoever they could and that's why they have so many gay problems even to this day.

Don't bash me

The earthquake wouldn't be strong enough. No crowd appeal and doomed to popular oblivion. I'd keep my eye out for drifters though.......

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 09:36 AM   #7
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post

The earthquake wouldn't be strong enough. No crowd appeal and doomed to popular oblivion. I'd keep my eye out for drifters though.......
You mean the zombies
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-19, 09:36 AM   #8
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

If that person had stolen goods and drugs on her person, if there was a video tape of her crime, why wasn't she arrested?

I am confused. What were the legal basis for the police to release her?
Old 11-03-19, 04:28 PM   #9
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
If that person had stolen goods and drugs on her person, if there was a video tape of her crime, why wasn't she arrested?

I am confused. What were the legal basis for the police to release her?
California prop 47.
Quote:
The measure's main effects were to convert many nonviolent offenses, such as drug and property offenses, from felonies to misdemeanors.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-19, 09:44 AM   #10
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

Prop 47 is a joke. Essentially it allows theft of up to $950 worth of goods. So of course now the crooks have calculators, they go in, steal $950 worth of stuff since they know they won't be prosecuted. They leave, dump it or sell it, and then go back in for another $950, stopping when their calculator tells them they've reached the limit. It's like a full time job stealing other people's stuff and the merchants are forced to take it straight up the wazoo.

They've also restricted plastic bag usage, so it's common that paying customers put their purchases in handbags or personal containers, which in turn allows the thieves to blend right in.

It was passed as a way to reduce the 'burden' on law enforcement by reducing the number of felonies, while in actuality it has effectively doubled the crime rate in the city. In effect it dd nothing to reduce crime, it simply re-labled a former felony as a misdemeanor and the thieves have taken full advantage of this liberal-fueled madness.