SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-19-10, 11:17 PM   #1
Fattysbox
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default Stadimeter problems with DarkWraith's UI

Just recently updated to 3.0.5 and I have a serious stadimeter problem, as in it doesn't work.

I lock onto to target, identify it through the command and get the mast height. After inputing the mast height and using the stadimeter, it gives me crazy readings such as 20 meters when the ship is actually 900m away.

Also, just out of curiosity, what are the two folders in named "....ByTheDarkWraith" and "...TheDarkWraith" within the original mod folder?

Cheers,

Jason
Fattysbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 12:01 AM   #2
Fattysbox
Machinist's Mate

While I'm here, I would love to just input AOB, range, speed, etc through the TDC and have the dialog box just confirm my inputs.

Often times, this does not happen. I mean, I'll set the right AOB, range, target speed, but the line that depicts where the torps go is clearly off. I shut off the TDC (which resets everything) and then I'm forced to type int he readings intot he dialog box to get a solution.

Maybe I'm missing something, but perhaps there is a tutorial somewhere that uses the TDC in your mod with effectiveness?

J
Old 06-20-10, 06:22 AM   #3
Nausicaa
Mate

Downloads: 41

I have the same problem - stadimeter never worked for me, ran all of Darkwraiths versions from 2.7 up to the latest now. I get funky readings like you, 20m, 10,000 meters etc. The US guys swear it works -- that is why I can't get rid of the nagging feeling it's related to keyboard layout or / and system language. (and yes I have the latest German menu.txt installed -- there must be something else)
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 08:49 AM   #4
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Let's see why you all are having problems with it. 1) Do you have TDC turned on via the XO TDC Dialog box? 2) Do you have a target locked (spacebar pressed on target or 'lock' pressed)? Once the target is locked and the XO TDC dialog box appears, do you identify the target? After you have identified the target and selected it via checkbox in the XO TDC dialog box, is the proper mast height shown when you click 'range' in the XO TDC dialog box?
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-10, 09:41 AM   #5
Fattysbox
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Let's see why you all are having problems with it. 1) Do you have TDC turned on via the XO TDC Dialog box? 2) Do you have a target locked (spacebar pressed on target or 'lock' pressed)? Once the target is locked and the XO TDC dialog box appears, do you identify the target? After you have identified the target and selected it via checkbox in the XO TDC dialog box, is the proper mast height shown when you click 'range' in the XO TDC dialog box?
1) You know, I'm not exactly sure (don't have time to play that often, haven't logged many game hours). I think yes because the dialog box always shows "turn TDC off" right before I lock onto target.

2) Yes, target gets locked and get indentified either by me or through XO.

3) Ahhh... proper mast height is NEVER shown (ship is checked in manual). I have to enter it, and when I do, the funky range readings begin.

TD, thanks for helping me out, really appreciate it. Would not want to play SH5 without your mod.
Old 06-20-10, 09:53 AM   #6
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattysbox View Post
1) You know, I'm not exactly sure (don't have time to play that often, haven't logged many game hours). I think yes because the dialog box always shows "turn TDC off" right before I lock onto target.

2) Yes, target gets locked and get indentified either by me or through XO.

3) Ahhh... proper mast height is NEVER shown (ship is checked in manual). I have to enter it, and when I do, the funky range readings begin.

TD, thanks for helping me out, really appreciate it. Would not want to play SH5 without your mod.
for you, for now, you have to enter the mast height value before taking the range reading. So this begs me to ask the question, why is your mast height not being updated with the correct value? What language version of the game are you using? What version of the mod are you using? When you identify the ship and click on the check box for it in the XO TDC dialog box and then click on 'range' in the XO TDC dialog box, what does the mast height show? 20?
Old 06-20-10, 10:02 AM   #7
Fattysbox
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
for you, for now, you have to enter the mast height value before taking the range reading. So this begs me to ask the question, why is your mast height not being updated with the correct value? What language version of the game are you using? What version of the mod are you using? When you identify the ship and click on the check box for it in the XO TDC dialog box and then click on 'range' in the XO TDC dialog box, what does the mast height show? 20?
I guess I'm using english (default?), and installed the latest version 3.0.5. There are no other mods installed since I wanted to get the stadimeter thign working.

When I identify the ship, click on the range box, the mast height shown is 0 not 20, then I try to enter the correct mast height with the results mentioned above.

I'm going to log on in a sec here and try again.
Old 06-20-10, 10:12 AM   #8
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
I guess I'm using english (default?), and installed the latest version 3.0.5. There are no other mods installed since I wanted to get the stadimeter thign working.

When I identify the ship, click on the range box, the mast height shown is 0 not 20, then I try to enter the correct mast height with the results mentioned above.

I'm going to log on in a sec here and try again.
are you using a test mission to verify this? If so, which mission and what ship are you identifying?
Old 06-20-10, 10:20 AM   #9
Fattysbox
Machinist's Mate

OK, so logged on again and got better results but still off.

Locked onto target, but before that in the dialog box, there is no option to turn TDC on or off.

Locked on and indentified the ship, with the mast height of 36 (checked the box).

Input that into the stadimeter and get a range of 988 when the ship is actually 700m away.

Does middle of the scope have to be where the water meets the hull to get an accurate reading?
Old 06-20-10, 10:21 AM   #10
Fattysbox
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
are you using a test mission to verify this? If so, which mission and what ship are you identifying?
Its an auxillary cruiser penguin and its from a saved game I have. I'm right in the middle of a convoy
Old 06-20-10, 10:25 AM   #11
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
OK, so logged on again and got better results but still off.

Locked onto target, but before that in the dialog box, there is no option to turn TDC on or off.

Locked on and indentified the ship, with the mast height of 36 (checked the box).

Input that into the stadimeter and get a range of 988 when the ship is actually 700m away.

Does middle of the scope have to be where the water meets the hull to get an accurate reading?
yes, middle of the scope needs to be where the waterline meets the hull of the ship

When you identifed the ship, what was the mast height shown? Why did you have to enter it?
Old 06-20-10, 10:27 AM   #12
Fattysbox
Machinist's Mate

I think I know what the problem is here.

Tried to lock to another target, a large steamer (war supplies), and had it identified from the XO. When I went to look for it in the manual, can't find it to enter the mast height. HHhhhmmm, maybe I installed your mod poorly here?
Old 06-20-10, 10:29 AM   #13
Fattysbox
Machinist's Mate

Quote:
yes, middle of the scope needs to be where the waterline meets the hull of the ship

When you identifed the ship, what was the mast height shown? Why did you have to enter it?
I had to enter it because the mast height was reading 0 when I went to get a stadimeter reading. However, some ships are missing in my recog manual. This might be a problem as well (read above)
Old 06-20-10, 10:30 AM   #14
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
I think I know what the problem is here.

Tried to lock to another target, a large steamer (war supplies), and had it identified from the XO. When I went to look for it in the manual, can't find it to enter the mast height. HHhhhmmm, maybe I installed your mod poorly here?
I'm confused as to why you are having to enter the mast height When you identify the ship the mast height is automatically 'entered' for you. Try this: lock onto any target, pick a ship from the XO TDC dialog box and click the check box. Note the mast height on the picture. Click the 'range' and see if the mast height shown matches the picture. Pick random ships in the XO TDC dialog box and see if the mast height 'entered' matches the pictures.
Old 06-20-10, 10:38 AM   #15
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Its an auxillary cruiser penguin and its from a saved game I have. I'm right in the middle of a convoy
Just tried an auxiliary cruiser penguin using v3.0.5 and the mast height was enetered correctly automatically for me @ 36.0m. I'm baffled why yours isn't working correctly