SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-04-11, 06:23 PM   #16
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 92
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Then I think you should start one every day, in which you transcribe the actual German dialogue spoken in each scene. 1 day, 1 scene. From the uncut version, just imagine how many Das Boot threads we'd have then!

OTOH somebody would probably find that tedious and blame Obama for it.
Jawohl, Frau Kaleun:

40000 German sailors voted for Obama during WW2, 30000...oh wait...

First sentence (by the Kaleun):
"Unser Bootsmann. Voll bis Oberkante Unterkiefer!"
"Our bosun. Buzzed like a bilge rat!" (literally: full till the upper edge of the lower jar)

Last sentence:
"Aaaaaargghhh!"
"ouch!"

Coming next month: the second sentence!

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that I have a version that is subtitled as "farts" and one that is subtitled as "feet." IIRC one version - I think it's the longer uncut one - has English that is significantly "cleaned up" instead of translated into subtitles that are more accurate and therefore more crude in some scenes.
I only have the seires (uncut one) - all other versions are for heretics!

Quote:
Considering the secondary German usage of "Eier," maybe the subtitler just got his nuts and screws confused.
As a Gentlebird, I don't know what you are talking about...
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 06:55 PM   #17
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
First sentence (by the Kaleun):
"Unser Bootsmann. Voll bis Oberkante Unterkiefer!"
"Our bosun. Buzzed like a bilge rat!" (literally: full till the upper edge of the lower jar)
Awesome! That's one down, a couple... er... thousand? to go.

Quote:
Last sentence:
"Aaaaaargghhh!"
"ouch!"
Sehr komisch, Schlauberger.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 02:13 AM   #18
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
I only have the seires (uncut one) - all other versions are for heretics!
A man after my own heart. Actually, as said before, I have all the different versions, but the Uncut is the only one I ever watch anymore.
Old 04-14-11, 05:44 AM   #19
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Nothing to do about the cover art, but my biggest fear about this upcoming release is that they'll overdo the Digital Noise Reduction to cut back on grain, and everyone will look like a wax sculpture. I plan on giving in and buying a blu-ray player tomorrow, but I'm aware that not all blu-ray discs are created equally.

Take this screenshot from The Longest Day, for example. Anything look not quite right to you folks?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 10:27 AM   #20
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subnuts View Post
Nothing to do about the cover art, but my biggest fear about this upcoming release is that they'll overdo the Digital Noise Reduction to cut back on grain, and everyone will look like a wax sculpture. I plan on giving in and buying a blu-ray player tomorrow, but I'm aware that not all blu-ray discs are created equally.

On this page

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...ml#post2038523

if you scroll about 2/3 of the way down, someone posted screencaps from the European blu-ray release that came out last fall.

One of the reviews I read somewhere else said that the "grain" was still there, no digital trickery in that respect, and in many respects it was an improvement on the Superbit DVD release.

At any rate, we'll know in June.
Old 04-15-11, 01:27 PM   #21
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:

Take this screenshot from The Longest Day, for example. Anything look not quite right to you folks?
(pic snipped)
Subnuts, you are an evil, cruel man. My eyes still hurt. This was my favourite war movie when I was a kid - it's still one of the best.
If I held the rights on this flic, I would go D-Day on the imbeciles who rape a movie like this!
Transistion, transformation, encoding from/to different sources is my daily job. This pic was either made by the blind video editor, or - my guess - after the wishes from some exec suits who know nothing about film.
"The customer wants this!" is often the argument: I say the customer can kiss my hairy butt. Making movies is not a democracy. "Oh the people want a happy end in Das Boot? Sure, you'll get it -also add a love story with the Kaleun...."
The customer at home has a powerfull tool at home to influence the look of the film, if he doesn't like it: his remote. He can influence most aspects of a video, in any way he likes - even use this damned noise reduction.
I say: leave the original untouched. The creators were not stupid: they knew exactly the technical possibilities of their time. If they had chosen to use sensitive film material - they knew exacly the outcome -> a grainy look. The look is the choice of the makers, no ****ing 12yr old "video editor" from today has a right to change it.
[rant off] Sorry, but this is an area where I am extremnly sensitive...

The good news: it seems like the transformation to Blu-Ray was made by professionals, here's an extract from a german review:

Quote:
Video:
- sharpness not always quite high
- darker scenes offer just a limited sense of depth
+ bright and contrasty scenes offer a good 3-dimensional sense of depth
+ film like presentation
+ amount of film grain varies from scene to scene
+ no use of DNR
also interesting:
Quote:
Audio:
+ offers a lot of split-surround effects
+ offers extremely low and powerfull bass
+ sound field is very enveloping
+ music score by Klaus Doldinger sounds also quite spatial

conclusion:
“Das Boot – The Director’s Cut” is presented on a Blu-ray disc with a quite film like picture. The picture is not always sharp but it comes relatively close to the original film source. The audio track is reference quality and offers a lot of split surround effects and very deep and powerful bass. The bonus material offers 2 lengthy featurettes but the Petersen commentary is absent.
Source: http://www.hd-reporter.de/blu-ray-re...s-cut-blu-ray/

-------
Bonus feature for Frau Kaleun (taken from "learn Dasbootish in 13674 easy lessons"):
"Was sind das für Schweine?"
"What kind of pigs are they?"
"Sprengwagen nennen die das. Alles Leute von unseren Boot."
"They call it 'sprincle car'. All folks from our boat."
(sprengen has two meanings; watering and detonating. So if you say you want to sprincle your lawn, nobody knows if you're going to blow it away... )
Old 04-15-11, 01:40 PM   #22
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
also add a love story with the Kaleun...."
I actually have no problem with this, in fact I even have the perfect person in mind to play the love interest.

Quote:
Bonus feature for Frau Kaleun (taken from "learn Dasbootish in 13674 easy lessons"):
"Was sind das für Schweine?"
"What kind of pigs are they?"
"Sprengwagen nennen die das. Alles Leute von unseren Boot."
"They call it 'sprincle car'. All folks from our boat."
(sprengen has two meanings; watering and detonating. So if you say you want to sprincle your lawn, nobody knows if you're going to blow it away... )
*claps hands*

YAAAY!

I must remember to write all this down somewhere.
Old 04-15-11, 02:12 PM   #23
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 216

Looks like I will be buying a Multi Region Blu- ray home cinema system. Only have a PS3 which has a Blu- ray player at the moment, which I believe is region coded.
Old 04-15-11, 04:56 PM   #24
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

@Penguin:

Hey, I just realized you went straight to the dialogue and skipped the opening voice-over!

Edit: Aaaand you forgot the lyrics to the song the Bootsmann is singing. It's okay, I will leave gaps in my running transcript for when you get to it.
Old 04-19-11, 11:14 AM   #25
Kaleun Cook
Chief

Downloads: 25

anything to please frau kaleun.

Afaik it's the beginning of "An de Eck steiht ’n Jung mit’n Tüdelband", a song from Hamburg:

"An de Eck steiht 'n Jung mit'n Tüddelband / in de anner Hand 'n Bodderbrood mit Kees, / wenn he blots nich mit de Been in'n Tüddel kümmt / un dor liggt he ok all lang op de Nees."

(very) roughly meaning: "At the corner stands a boy with a hoop / in the other hand a sandwich with cheese / hopefully he doesn't get confused with his legs / there he's lying on his nose."

Jan Fedder, the actor playing the bosun, recorded a version of this:

Today the refrain also seems to be the song played when the Hamburger Sportverein scores during home games, as it goes: "Not everybody can do this, he has to be from Hamburg."

Later during that scene he switches to a song ending with "Du munteres Rehlein,du, ich breche dir dein Herz im Nu" while hammering on the car I think. This means roughly: "You cheerful little deer, I'll break your heart in a moment."
Kaleun Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-11, 11:33 AM   #26
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Awesome, thank you!

Quote:
It's so nice to see a man who has his priorities properly sorted.
Old 04-19-11, 06:52 PM   #27
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:

I must be missing what you mean. What's not "right" about this picture.
Old 04-20-11, 08:47 PM   #28
Subnuts
The Old Man

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
I must be missing what you mean. What's not "right" about this picture.
John Wayne wasn't a wax sculpture in real life, and The Longest Day wasn't intended to look like an impressionist painting.

Subnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 01:53 AM   #29
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
John Wayne wasn't a wax sculpture in real life
Are you sure about that?
Old 04-21-11, 10:23 AM   #30
Penguin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
@Penguin:

Hey, I just realized you went straight to the dialogue and skipped the opening voice-over!

Edit: Aaaand you forgot the lyrics to the song the Bootsmann is singing. It's okay, I will leave gaps in my running transcript for when you get to it.
Sorry, was some days off the forums. (No, the reality is that I need 6 days for an apropriate reply )
Actually I was hoping to blackmail you to send me a case of your finest breweries, as being drunk helps to understand other drunks - but there's also the scene in the bar - impossible to understand withour french champagne....

Apart from the song: what voiceovers did you mean? The text at the beginning is not dubbed in my version, neither in german, nor english, nor mexican...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleun Cook View Post

Afaik it's the beginning of "An de Eck steiht ’n Jung mit’n Tüdelband", a song from Hamburg:
thanks, I never knew that. No wonder why I didn't understand the beginning of the song: drunk hamburgerish is not easy if you're no Fischkopp....