SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-16-20, 02:06 AM   #421
Col7777
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 260
Uploads: 0

I stumbled on this today, I'm in the UK so forgive my ignorance here, I read in the comments that CNN have a habit of reporting fake news or like many others push their agenda on you.
Anyway in this clip it seems the CNN guy Done Lemon didn't like what the Sheriff was saying:

Silent and Violent
Col7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 02:17 AM   #422
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Trump has never had any appreciably strong support among Black voters and the truth of the matter is he is losing whatever support he did have due to his own fault; if ever there was a tone-deaf resident of the Oval Office, it has to be Trump; by playing and pandering to his base continually, he is pushing whatever non-GOP marginal voter groups that may have voted for him away and into the Biden camp; the SS Trumptanic just keeps on at full speed crashing into and caroming off the icebergs...

<O>
Old 06-16-20, 04:38 AM   #423
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Trump has never had any appreciably strong support among Black voters and the truth of the matter is he is losing whatever support he did have due to his own fault;
This of course is not an anomaly.

Quote:
A review of the Roper Center for Public Opinion Research's collection of exit poll data for recent presidential elections shows that the black share of the vote given to the Republican candidate has averaged 10% since 1976. This ranges from a low of 4% for John McCain in 2008 (when he ran against Barack Obama) to 17% for Gerald Ford in 1976 (when he ran for re-election against Jimmy Carter). Since 1984, the average black share of the vote for the GOP candidate has been 9%. George W. Bush averaged 10% of the black vote in his two elections; his father, George H. W. Bush, averaged 10.5% in his two elections; and Ronald Reagan averaged 11.5% in his two elections.
https://news.gallup.com/opinion/poll...ent-trump.aspx

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 05:10 AM   #424
vienna
Navy Seal

That's fake news!! Everybody knows the Blacks love Trump !! Trump repeatedly says so, he's never, ever wrong, and the Trumpettes nod their lemming bobble-headed approval; Trump is even more popular than Lincoln and the best President for Blacks in the entire history of the US... and the world!!...

<O>
Old 06-16-20, 05:40 AM   #425
u crank

Quote:
That's fake news!! Everybody knows the Blacks love Trump !! Trump repeatedly says so, he's never, ever wrong, and the Trumpettes nod their lemming bobble-headed approval; Trump is even more popular than Lincoln and the best President for Blacks in the entire history of the US... and the world!!...
Comedy is always a good response when you don't actually have a response.

I laughed.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 06-16-20, 05:44 AM   #426
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

The danger is not Trump loosing black voters, the danger is that last time many Blacks did not go voting, but if this time they do, they will give a strong ballot stimulus to the Democrats.

The criticism of the police: there are black sheep in there, I think that is obvious, and these spoil the reputation of many more than just themselves, unfortunately. However that the left uses opposition protests to generally demonise them, is true as well. In principle the same things happen in Germany as well, though here the confrontation left/anti captialism versus establishment/capitalism is more obvious.

The crime quality in America probably is also different than over here, and the quantity of severe crime including severe physical violence probably also is higher, though it seems to me that we are catching up on that, especially targetted violence against the police itself, thanks to our cultural enrichment programs, and our deep-rooting beleive that violenc ecommitted by left and anarchist groups is acceptable while vilence from right groups is ver ymuch less so. We use double standards on violence done by left and right attackers.

I still think that when I hear US cops are trained just 17-19 weeks on average, there is more quality to be gained if extensively improving that, but I think that turning the US police into a copy of European polices probably would not work, since the US police must dela with a more brutal environment and thus must take a more robust stand itself, too, must be capable to do so at least.

I hear what that sherrif above is saying. Seems to be a reasonable good man. And i probably would not have had that self-control he showed with that moderator., who is a politcally correctly trained poodle, it seems to me. Much of our media guys over here in state TV are like that, too, loving opposing opinions to death by the endlessly patient loving embrace of the anaconda.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-16-20 at 06:33 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 06:05 AM   #427
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

@Skybird While it is not all wrong what you wrote, i definitely do not agree that the policeman shooting the running man three times in the back can ever get through with "self defence". The suspect had no deadly weapon and he did not "deliberately aim", he shot over his shoulder with a taser while running.
I will never buy that, and i guess at least 80 percent of the population will not as well.
"He deserved death"? He deserved punishment and penalty, but surely not death. The US is still a constitutional state.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.

Last edited by Catfish; 06-16-20 at 06:24 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 06:29 AM   #428
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

There is the psychological momentum that you ignore, but it must be taken into account. Fact is the man fired a tazer at a police officer and not before then the police pulled its firearms.

I am not willing to demand that cops must throw themsleves at a violent person's mercy just so to save the interests of said person and put it before their own interest. Adrenaline, the quickness of events detoriating, the suprising sudden outtburst of violenc, alcohol and a weapon that is meant to put you out of action for sure - it all is a bit too much if coming alltogether. A police tazer is a potent wepaon to knock you out, its not the same thing oike the toys that were on sale in german shops until some years ago when they got banned - the last avaialble models were muscle massage toys, knocking out nobody, they were regulated to complete inffeciency and probably only would have turned any attacker even more angry. A police tazer is somethign that knocks you out of your shoes. And is very painful as well.

Its not as if the man spilled just some water with a water pistol. It was the now dead man who escalated the situation, lets not forget that. I also am not inside the cop'S head, do not know what he was thinking. Did he shoot with the intentin to kill? Did he just get off three rounds as quickly as possible and unaimed, only pointing vaguely at the amns direction, when realising that he was beign fired on with a tazer? Did he aim intentionally to kill or just to hurt and the action went wrong?

It all went very, very quick, and that took its toll.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-16-20 at 06:40 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 06:33 AM   #429
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post

I laughed.

Lol, too early in the morning for this
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 07:22 AM   #430
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post

Well, we finally have an explanation for so very many of your posts...

<O>
Old 06-16-20, 08:03 AM   #431
u crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Lol, too early in the morning for this
I was on my second cup of coffee.

Quote:
Well, we finally have an explanation for so very many of your posts...
Oooo .... that was a really good one. I'll try to do better.

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 06-16-20, 08:17 AM   #432
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I don't know how an American cop is trained to react.

Here in Denmark and Sweden a policeman is trained to without thinking..shooting a person in his leg..if this doesn't help then s/he can choose a target above a persons hips.

Shooting a person in their back can never be a case of self defense.
Absolutely not with three shoots.

A shot in his thigh muscle would most likely have neutralized him.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 08:21 AM   #433
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
@Skybird While it is not all wrong what you wrote, i definitely do not agree that the policeman shooting the running man three times in the back can ever get through with "self defence". The suspect had no deadly weapon and he did not "deliberately aim", he shot over his shoulder with a taser while running.
I will never buy that, and i guess at least 80 percent of the population will not as well.
"He deserved death"? He deserved punishment and penalty, but surely not death. The US is still a constitutional state.

Oh no, you're wrong, Catfish. The man did indeed attack the police officer. If you play the video backwards, the man can clearly be seen running backwards at the police officer and therefore, the police officer " feared for his life."
This is of course the argument I expect to see the police use. They will of course say it's a matter of perspective.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 09:46 AM   #434
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I don't know how an American cop is trained to react.

Here in Denmark and Sweden a policeman is trained to without thinking..shooting a person in his leg..if this doesn't help then s/he can choose a target above a persons hips.

Shooting a person in their back can never be a case of self defense.
Absolutely not with three shoots.

A shot in his thigh muscle would most likely have neutralized him.

Markus
Same here in Finland. Just yesterday a police officer had to take a shot at someone who was armed (turned out to be a BB gun later); one bullet to thigh was enough to subdue him.
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-20, 11:15 AM   #435
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
Oh no, you're wrong, Catfish. The man did indeed attack the police officer. If you play the video backwards, the man can clearly be seen running backwards at the police officer and therefore, the police officer " feared for his life."
This is of course the argument I expect to see the police use. They will of course say it's a matter of perspective.
Speaking of perspective being shot in the back 3 times is never a very good defensive argument for the offending party.

Especially in the old west days
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
police, riots