SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

View Poll Results: Poll closed
option 0 0%
option 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-12, 12:14 PM   #301
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 827
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
near as i can recall from memmory the only thing you will lose from GFO without a environment patch would be the smaller more transparent rain.

i would have to look up the settings but thats something you could add yourself if you wanted to

Hi Webster,
So your saying it's probably OK to use?! Correct? I was going thru all the fixes and add-ons GFO offers and really didn't see all that much heavy Environmental changes. Like you said, maybe the smaller rain adjustment.
So, I'm going to try out this mod, give it a go. I'll post back so you and Haukka81 and anyone else interested will know how it went.
Cheers.
D40
Old 08-13-12, 07:45 PM   #302
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

yep, the main goal of GFO was to make it as easy as possible to add mods to it so side effects from adding mods "if any" are usually very minor.

adding ISE would lose the small rain but i cant think of anything else.
Old 08-14-12, 10:04 AM   #303
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Default GFO/w' Improved Stock Environment

Quote:
yep, the main goal of GFO was to make it as easy as possible to add mods to it so side effects from adding mods "if any" are usually very minor.

adding ISE would lose the small rain but i cant think of anything else.
Well, I did give it a go last night. I fired up SH4 with GFO and ISE and I didn't find any real problems running the game. Although, I did try swapping the order of activation and I think I might prefer to have the ISE first in line with it's two upgrade files, I didn't see all that much differance swapping the two. I didn't really have it going for that long so all I can say at this point is the mods will work together. I also think that the order that they are activated is going to be important in that there are quite a few shared files, more than I thought there would be. So it's probably going to be up to the player and his computer as to which order works better.
Anyway, I really have to play with it some more, I just wanted to say that they do work together so I'm happy about that.
Thanks Webster.
D40
Old 08-14-12, 04:26 PM   #304
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogfish40 View Post
I also think that the order that they are activated is going to be important in that there are quite a few shared files, more than I thought there would be. So it's probably going to be up to the player and his computer as to which order works better.
well to each his own but for the most part GFO should always go first because you want to make sure you get everything out of the mod you are adding to it. otherwise GFO will replace files from that mod with its own mostly stock ones. an example of this is you may keep GFO rain by doing that while losing several environmental adjustments intended for the game by ISE. just saying you could be missing visual things from ISE you just arent noticing yet.

if you dont mind would you PM me a list of the files ISE shares with GFO so i could try and figure out what might bo lost without a ISE patch? thanks
Old 08-17-12, 11:43 AM   #305
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
well to each his own but for the most part GFO should always go first because you want to make sure you get everything out of the mod you are adding to it. otherwise GFO will replace files from that mod with its own mostly stock ones. an example of this is you may keep GFO rain by doing that while losing several environmental adjustments intended for the game by ISE. just saying you could be missing visual things from ISE you just arent noticing yet.

if you dont mind would you PM me a list of the files ISE shares with GFO so i could try and figure out what might bo lost without a ISE patch? thanks
Sorry,... Reverse that. Yes I tried them both ways and I am using GFO first. I remember that my thnking was to protect GFO, I then found that it does appear better to keep GFO first and so that is how I left it.
Thanks
D40
Old 10-24-12, 07:42 PM   #306
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Default GFO and Pacific Environment 4

Still on this subject...Is GFO compatible with Pacific Environment 4 ??
D40
Old 10-25-12, 02:54 PM   #307
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Still on this subject...Is GFO compatible with Pacific Environment 4 ??
D40

wait,... what??

i thought YOU were testing this already.

as i said many times before the smaller rain in gfo will not work if PE4 or ENV 5 is used (i provided a patch to fix it for real environments)

its a very minor detail you may not even notice but thats the only conflict with those environmental mods, now as i understand it the ISE mod goes way beyond the environmental files and makes other changes so i dont know what conflicts exist with that mod and gfo

hope that answers your questions
Old 10-25-12, 07:15 PM   #308
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
wait,... what??

i thought YOU were testing this already.

as i said many times before the smaller rain in gfo will not work if PE4 or ENV 5 is used (i provided a patch to fix it for real environments)

its a very minor detail you may not even notice but thats the only conflict with those environmental mods, now as i understand it the ISE mod goes way beyond the environmental files and makes other changes so i dont know what conflicts exist with that mod and gfo

hope that answers your questions

LOL, No I tested the Improved Stock Environment_v3, which works fine. I was wondering about PE4 because of the camera features, but I'll load it up.
Sorry for the redundant questions, it's just that SH4 mods are a bit cranky at times and I don't want anything messing with the GFO stuff 'cause it works really well so far.
Thanks again.
D40
Old 10-25-12, 08:27 PM   #309
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

LOL, No I tested the Improved Stock Environment_v3, which works fine. I was wondering about PE4 because of the camera features, but I'll load it up.
Sorry for the redundant questions, it's just that SH4 mods are a bit cranky at times and I don't want anything messing with the GFO stuff 'cause it works really well so far.
Thanks again.
D40
ok well if it has a camera dat then you will lose the fix for the closer centered radar and sonar views as well as the scope zoom levels and free cam very close up views. (there may be some other visual element i cant think of right now)

i dont think its that big a deal for you but if you dont want to lose those you can just remove the camera dat file from PE4 and then it shouldnt be a problem, just check the PE4 read me and see what changes he made to the camera views to know how important it is. im almost posative PE$ doesnt need the cameras dat to work properly

keep in mind im saying all this just from memory since its been over 2 years since i fooled with the game files
Old 10-26-12, 09:09 AM   #310
Dogfish40
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
ok well if it has a camera dat then you will lose the fix for the closer centered radar and sonar views as well as the scope zoom levels and free cam very close up views. (there may be some other visual element i cant think of right now)

i dont think its that big a deal for you but if you dont want to lose those you can just remove the camera dat file from PE4 and then it shouldnt be a problem, just check the PE4 read me and see what changes he made to the camera views to know how important it is. im almost posative PE$ doesnt need the cameras dat to work properly

keep in mind im saying all this just from memory since its been over 2 years since i fooled with the game files

Well, it turned out for the worse in this case. After loading the PE4 files 1, 2,4 and 5, then placing my other go to fav mods in, I loaded up my game and had that fire/smoke thing that follows the ship around immediately. I don't have any idea right now if it was one of the other mods causing it, it may be that I missed a conflict warning someplace from PE4. So, I'm going back to my first Environment choice for a time until I can try something else.
Now everything is back to normal. All this really started because I want to see more sea foam on the water. I remember seeing it at one time, now I'm not and I can't figure out why. But the water doesn't look very much like ocean water without lots of salt suds. As of now the crew is scared 'cause the skipper wants to waterski, they hate that.
Thanks for the help Webster! It's all good.
D40
Old 10-26-12, 10:47 AM   #311
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

well i dont use the 1-5 ad-ons because of what you mentioned, they cause issues with everything when i tried them wether used with gfo or just the stock game so if you are going to use it then its best to use PE4 by itself and not use the ad-ons

capt cox has a seafoam mod, you might be able to find it in the downloads section

Last edited by Webster; 10-29-12 at 12:05 PM.
Old 10-28-12, 06:49 AM   #312
ryanwigginton
Weps

Downloads: 68

I'm converted.
Old 11-29-12, 06:17 PM   #313
Eugene
A-ganger

Downloads: 226

Great mod! Need some advice on use of Max Optics IV for GFO 1.1.
I have enabled GFO and New Orders Bar first, then added Improved Stock Environment v3. No problems I could detect running a couple of missions after allowing the overwrites of GFO upon enabling, although I am rather inexperienced with SH4.

However...I want to use Max Optics and the accompanying Metric Nomographs. I installed them after ISE and permitted a large number of overwrites. Now in missions I have the new zoom levels as well as the nomograph tools. BUT the new buttons at the various stations added by GFO are gone! I don't know what else may be adversely affected, but I don't want to lose GFO functionality. I am puzzled by this since the MaxOptics version is specifically for GFO.

Any advice? Are there other optics mods and nomograph mods that could be added instead, and not conflict with GFO?
Old 11-30-12, 02:10 PM   #314
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Great mod! Need some advice on use of Max Optics IV for GFO 1.1.
I have enabled GFO and New Orders Bar first, then added Improved Stock Environment v3. No problems I could detect running a couple of missions after allowing the overwrites of GFO upon enabling, although I am rather inexperienced with SH4.

However...I want to use Max Optics and the accompanying Metric Nomographs. I installed them after ISE and permitted a large number of overwrites. Now in missions I have the new zoom levels as well as the nomograph tools. BUT the new buttons at the various stations added by GFO are gone! I don't know what else may be adversely affected, but I don't want to lose GFO functionality. I am puzzled by this since the MaxOptics version is specifically for GFO.

Any advice? Are there other optics mods and nomograph mods that could be added instead, and not conflict with GFO?
the simple solution if all you are missing is the menu bar functions is to add my menu bar mod on top of the other mods and that shoud return then. i am not 100% sure if that would effect the other mods but i dont think it would so try it and see.

here is my orders bar mod: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1192
Old 11-30-12, 05:30 PM   #315
Eugene
A-ganger

Downloads: 226

Thanks Webster - looking at all the threads, advice, and content, it looks like you (along with several others) are loyally holding up a major part of the foundations of Silent Hunter for a long time. I will try your suggestion which should work. I am too new at this point to be able to tell whether there are other significant losses or conflicts, but am willing to move ahead and see.

Perhaps it would be wiser not to use ISE? I read above that some had used it without issues but would do others' experience show that Real Environment is fully compatible, or more so?

I had also planned, once the three mods MMM, ISE & MaxOptics4 proved ok, to add in RSRDC for stock with your .401 patch for it.

However, any advice - beginning with GFO as the foundation - would be more than welcome: whether or not to use one or another or no environment mod...RSRD for a first campaign in SH4.

Thanks again.

Eugene