SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-14-10, 10:53 AM   #1
Stevepine
Planesman

Downloads: 172
Uploads: 0
Default How do you feel about the Targetting System?

Does anyone like me miss the silent hunter 3 system ? lol

and the old style SH3 recognition manual?

Just curious to see if its just me!

Stevepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 10:55 AM   #2
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

what's missing from the targeting system in your opinion?
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 11:07 AM   #3
Stevepine
Planesman

Downloads: 172

I often feel the best things in life are simple...... not easy... but simple.....

The fiddling with the ships bow and island structure do seem like nice ideas..... but it feels complex. Im just not used to it yet.

I guess it's an easy of use issue.
I thought flipping through the pages of a book was just simple and easy.

Plus I prefered the ways of finding range and mast height overlay on the periscope...

All you needed to do was get the range and AOB using map tools...... and then use a stop watch for a few seconds to get the target's speed.

I LOVE how in Darkwarith's UI's you can choose the SH3 style U.I. if you want to. I wish the same could be done for the method of targetting. That really would

(Right now I find myself being so lazy that I just roughly line up the yellow torp path line on the map a little bit ahead of the contact and press fire.... what is sad is this involves no real thought... and I can usually hit! lol)

Last edited by Stevepine; 06-14-10 at 11:24 AM.
Stevepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 11:20 AM   #4
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepine View Post
I often feel the best things in life are simple...... not easy... but simple.....

The fiddling with the ships bow and island structure do seem like nice ideas..... but it feels complex. Im just not used to it yet.

I guess it's an easy of use issue.
I thought flipping through the pages of a book was just simple and easy.

Plus I prefered the ways of finding range and mast height overlay on the periscope...

All you needed to do was get the range and AOB using map tools...... and then use a stop watch for a few seconds to get the target's speed.

I LOVE how in Darkwarith's UI's you can choose the SH3 style U.I. if you want to. I wish the same could be done for the method of targetting. That really would
Due to the way Ubi changed how the recognition manual works we can't just pick a nationality and flip through the ships anymore. They have it setup that the class of ship determines what ships you can flip through. The XO TDC dialog box allows you to flip through the ships available to select as the target.
The XO TDC dialog box also allows you to get the range by using the stadimeter. It also allows you to set the AOB by dragging an icon just like SH3 did.
In v3.0.0 of my UIs mod I've included the SH3 style of acquiring target speed by timing.
In my UIs mod you also have the option of setting a TDC mode to use the dials instead of the XO TDC dialog box for some functions if you prefer to.
Old 06-14-10, 01:55 PM   #5
oscar19681
Admiral

Downloads: 119

The only thing i still find annoying to a high degree is that the targeting system and the recognition manual obscures the target all the time.

Jim Morrison 1943-1971
oscar19681 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 02:01 PM   #6
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar19681 View Post
The only thing i still find annoying to a high degree is that the targeting system and the recognition manual obscures the target all the time.
in stock, yes. In my UIs mod you can disable the messagebox by pressing the 'L' key which will slide the XO TDC dialog box over to the right and down freeing more scope real estate. If you have XO TDC dialog box draggable then you can drag it to whereever you want again freeing up more scope real estate.
Old 06-14-10, 02:11 PM   #7
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Yes currently in stock targeting and well everything bar the graphics are a let down.
As TDW said with mods you can make the recognition manual is abit more managable .
Why the Devs got rid of a perfeclt good UI Interface with SH3/4 I'll never know, granted they went with a minimilistic UI - but what good is it if you can't do anything .

Hence the reason I started butchering the stock Ui to get it back to a more fimiliar SH3/4 and 5 Hybrid (Trying to get the best of all worlds ).

Here's a quick look at the Periscope and Recognition Manual. (Can be closed and dragged out of the way.)
Like in previous Silent Hunters I've got the Manual to display 0 degrees and 45 degrees view's of the ships as well as 90 degrees in stock.

And the new type Officer Orders in development.

Hopefully in time I'll get to the Sh3/4 feel ingame. I think its getting close
reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote