SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-11, 02:01 AM   #31
etheberge
Watch Officer

Downloads: 614
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
While I'm at it we should find a way to move the flags. Why are they attached to the stern of the ship. There isn't any way you can see them until the last possible second and that is incredible annoying.
Ah yes good point, that annoys me too.

11 War Patrols / 56 ships sunk or damaged for 212,022 tons
Zero casualties throughout the war
Scuttled on 8 May, 1945 in Sonderburg Bay, after German surrender
etheberge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 10:42 AM   #32
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 345
Uploads: 0

sweet,guys...
when can we expect any "mods" for om?
drakkhen20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 10:56 AM   #33
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

oh btw is there any way to incorperate campaigns from sh3 super mods like wac and gwx and maybe better docks? i posted a simular thread in sh3 workshop but it has nothing to do with om just an idea i've been pondering. by no means am i a s3d novice or expert. about the only thing i'm good at is textures. but i do know that sh4 and sh3 share some files that are the same. we need to get a group of modders on this huh to reopen om?
Old 03-13-11, 11:14 AM   #34
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

sorry to post three time in a row but,

i think what Slyguy3129 was talking about was the little eagle in the mission map when issueing your order theres a youtube video of it in the same thread you gave him to check out about the ato office. the eagle stays in the upper left hand corner of the screen as the map drifts by. i have this mod also and was wondering if there is a fix to this.
Old 03-13-11, 11:28 PM   #35
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Yes that was what I was talking about. Bit I've downloaded the mod and am just happy to see the Atlantic rather than the Indian. But maybe something we could work on. I'm guessing we are waiting for Lurker's "permission".

I think the first major change we should do is move the blasted flags. I know I mentioned this before but it is so annoying that it deserves another mention. I have noticed a few ship with flags where they are suppose to be so it is possible. Also for the record I don't care if the stern flags are historically accurate either.
Old 03-14-11, 01:21 AM   #36
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

i really think all these ideas it would be nice to have a little team to get together and start improving and modding here and there. not saying start a serious team like gwx did but it would be nice to have a group of people working on stuff to continue this fine mod.

how many screams must be heard before justice is served!

Old 03-14-11, 02:07 AM   #37
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Well accordingly we have to wait on Lurker. Course if it was up to me I'd just slap his name in the credits of what we think up and that would be the end of it.

Course I'd do that cause I ain't gonna hold my breath on Lurker speakin up bout anything any time soon. He wants no part of it and that's fine. But there isn't any sense in holding things up to wait on someone who said that they were through.

I don't know a thing about modding but I would like to learn because I want to make OM better, cause well if you ain't getting better, you ain't doin nothing. Which is exactly what OM is doin.

Last edited by Slyguy3129; 03-14-11 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-14-11, 07:37 PM   #38
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

After SH4 was released?
A VERY heated debate went on.
The results are posted in this thread.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=115983
WHICH is only found in the SH3 Mods Workshop!
Why? Because the Modders in SH3 pretty much demanded it!
(Rape of all mods is going to happen, we attempted a way to stop Wars)
I've seen MOST Modders for SH4 also follow this framework.
(And I've seen many SH5 modders have no Idea it even exists!)
IF you are within the framework of what is posted in that thread?
You are well within the rights as the MAJORITY here agreed upon.
(It was a BLOODY thread thankfully long gone!)
Old 03-14-11, 09:38 PM   #39
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

It would be an excellant idea to sticky that post and it looks like we got some pming,emailing,and contact posting to do.
Old 03-14-11, 09:59 PM   #40
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyguy3129 View Post
And in regards to Lurker, he abandoned his work if I recall correctly. Abandon your work and you forfeit it to whom wishes to continue it.
Clearly you haven't been around subsim very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limkol View Post
I love the way SH4 loads and starts so quickly and runs very stable.
It' wonderful.

Quote:
I think that it still has too much of a Pacific feel (just look at the buildings for example). It could do with being a touch more European in the harbours and along the coast.
All harbor models that existed in SH3, exist in SH4. They simply aren't being used.

Quote:
A bit more harbour life would be good.
The legacy models from SH3, allow for a drag in drop of missing animations that brought harbors to life. The nodes still exist, the resource files were removed so they don't display.

Quote:
With SH3, you could almost sense the way the war was going by the atmosphere created by the radio messages. I miss that.
Easy to mod, PITA to research and tedious to write in.

Quote:
After SH5 I feel that the SH4 u-boat is a bit limited. SH3 has open hatches and fire damage. SH5 has flooding. It would be great if these things could be modded in SH4.

When I look at the mods I use with all the SH games, SH4 is the shortest mod list.
Here's the thing. To the majority of Uboat fans, the Silent hunter series is as follows:

Silent Hunter 3 -> Silent Hunter 5

Silent Hunter 4 simply does not exist in their minds because it was primarily a fleet boat sim. Most simply do not have the desire to open their minds and try out something new. So they write the game off as non existant. What most don't realize is that the "Uboat missions" expansion, opened all the doors in SH4. In truth, it can be as much of a uboat sim, as it is a fleet boat sim. Fully rendered interiors aside, I'd argue it's two sims in one, and twice the value of SH3 or Sh5 on that premise.

But again, since it doesn't exist. Modders who focus on Uboats have either stuck to Sh3, or moved directly to SH5. Realistically, SH4's full potential will never be realized.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 10:23 PM   #41
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

This is what i found and is copied and pasted directly from document readme file to here. so this is where we start i guess if we are serious about useing this mod or expanding it.

"Permissions:

Absolutely nothing found within the "Operation Monsun Environmentally & Graphics Upgrade" (OMEGU) may be used for any commercial product of any size, shape or form; also absolutely no mod, concept, or design found within the OM may be used by any one, for any reason, without expressed permission of the author of this mod.

OM is freeware, made by the SH4 moding community. All permissions of individual mods are subject to their author's permissions."
Old 03-15-11, 02:03 AM   #42
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Good Heavens! I would never take someone else work just to profit from it monetary wise. The only thing I would profit from is adding to and completing Lurker's work and getting further enjoyment out of the game and helping others realize it's potential. That to me is worth more than gold.

I had noticed bouncing between SH3 (I own it as well, my first silent hunter, Silent Service 2 gave the the horrid bug) that there is a level of animosity between the different games. I for on have a hatred of SH5 but only because of the internet requirement(removed or not) and the fact that it's only half the game (ends in 43). But to each there own. Perhaps with the furthering of OM we could collect some of those SH5 players who aren't happy.

In regards to Lurker I meant no disrespect at all. But it does sound rather childish in the sense that "oh thats my old toy and don't play with it anymore nor do I want to, but you can't have it even if you could get enjoyment from it". But I suppose having put so much work into something you could develop a sort of possessive complex.

Hopefully he would be kind enough to give us the green light. I would like to get into and learn modding, and enhancing OM is just the motivation I would need.

Are there any modding tutorials laying around the forums here?

The Silent hunter "wars" seem eerily similar to the problems that HOI3 has in regards to the PTO. In as much as most everyone plays in the ETO and hardly plays the PTO so the developers spend more time on the ETO leaving the PTO broken.

PS to Duci. Have you happened upon my PM regarding the scene dat files in TMO 2 and and 2.1?
Old 03-15-11, 02:49 AM   #43
nemo7
Weps

Downloads: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Silent Hunter 4 simply does not exist in their minds because it was primarily a fleet boat sim. Most simply do not have the desire to open their minds and try out something new. So they write the game off as non existant. What most don't realize is that the "Uboat missions" expansion, opened all the doors in SH4. In truth, it can be as much of a uboat sim, as it is a fleet boat sim. Fully rendered interiors aside, I'd argue it's two sims in one, and twice the value of SH3 or Sh5 on that premise.

But again, since it doesn't exist. Modders who focus on Uboats have either stuck to Sh3, or moved directly to SH5. Realistically, SH4's full potential will never be realized.
+1.
Old 03-16-11, 04:28 PM   #44
drakkhen20
Seasoned Skipper

So does anyone have an update on this. Has anyone made contact with said auther? Has anybody had any more ideas?<thats alot a questions lol>
Old 03-17-11, 02:59 AM   #45
nemo7
Weps

Downloads: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
My personal beef with SH4 (not just OM) is weather. SH4 being initially designed for the Pacific, weather stays rather good everywhere, Atlantic included. The most frequent weather here is clear sky and 15m waves, with very few rainy days. And to sail the whole December in Northern Atlantic without seeing a cloud or a drop of rain is an immersion killer IMO.
Totally agree

A bigger compass (like the one below) would make a handy addition..
And oil skins for the bridge crew too..