SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-06-13, 10:25 PM   #1
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658
Uploads: 0
Default [Req] Helmets On Crew At Battle Stations

I'm wondering if it's possible to make a mod for the crew, when manning the deck and flak guns, to wear helmets. And the watch crew also. Especially when Battle Stations are called.

Just seems a bit strange they're not wearing protection during the heat of battle. They're stacked and sitting there in the conning tower but never worn.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 05:49 AM   #2
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I'm wondering if it's possible to make a mod for the crew, when manning the deck and flak guns, to wear helmets. And the watch crew also. Especially when Battle Stations are called.

Just seems a bit strange they're not wearing protection during the heat of battle. They're stacked and sitting there in the conning tower but never worn.
a comment by silentmichal on a similar question

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmichal View Post
It's unfortunatelly impossible (now) - we have to wait for TheDarkWraith - he has to discover how do animations work in GR2 file extensions... Because when I tried to import any head / helmet, there were no animations .
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 07:54 AM   #3
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Thanks Gap. I had not seen that before. Hopefully someday it will happen.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-13, 08:09 AM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Thanks Gap. I had not seen that before. Hopefully someday it will happen.
I hope so
Old 01-20-13, 03:42 AM   #5
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86
Uploads: 4

Wait, we had this figured out 1 year ago....I thought it was implemented in a mod already?

Edit: Helmets are very easy to implement because it is a simple python script file that governs "hats" worn by crew.

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-13, 07:18 AM   #6
arnahud2
Frogman

Downloads: 724

Great news, SilentMichael, and thank you to have lead investigations about helmets feasibility -->

arnahud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-13, 07:50 AM   #7
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelViking View Post
Wait, we had this figured out 1 year ago....I thought it was implemented in a mod already?
As far as I know, no

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelViking View Post
Edit: Helmets are very easy to implement because it is a simple python script file that governs "hats" worn by crew.
Good
Old 01-20-13, 10:03 AM   #8
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

I'll show you some of the difficulties I've encountered with trying to change the crew in regards to ship/crew state. Download this: http://www.mediafire.com/?wr46kk70psvfbhp It's a small part of something I was working on a long time ago.

Extract to MODS folder and enable via JSGME. Run both single missions and note the watch crew's clothing and hat (or lack of hat) with each single mission. Increase time compression to 64 and wait till the watch crew detects the biplane. Note what happens to watch crew. Do this for both single missions. See any problems with the crew?

You'll notice that it's easy to change crew's clothing and hats via scripting. The problem is there aren't enough hats, clothing, etc. to cover every possible face, torso, etc. This is why the devs never implemented it
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-13, 10:21 AM   #9
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
You'll notice that it's easy to change crew's clothing and hats via scripting. The problem is there aren't enough hats, clothing, etc. to cover every possible face, torso, etc. This is why the devs never implemented it
Wouldn't be easy for a gfx/3d artist to create the missing clothing, possibly taking the cue from clothing items already featured, and to import it in game with your GR2 editor?
Old 01-20-13, 10:24 AM   #10
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Wouldn't be easy for a gfx/3d artist to create the missing clothing, possibly taking the cue from clothing items already featured in game, and to import it in game with your GR2 editor?
Yes and no. Yes in that gfx/3D artist can create the missing clothing/hats/etc. No in the fact that the GR2 Editor/Viewer currently cannot create new meshes in a GR2 file. I'm slowly working my way to that ability though
Old 01-20-13, 10:48 AM   #11
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes and no. Yes in that gfx/3D artist can create the missing clothing/hats/etc. No in the fact that the GR2 Editor/Viewer currently cannot create new meshes in a GR2 file. I'm slowly working my way to that ability though
How the scripts you mentioned before are pointing to the GR2 clothing items?

Wouldn't it work as for unit's equipments, where item's unique names are used, no matter in which GR2 file they are located, as long as the file is in the correct folder?

In this case, duplicating the existing files and replacing meshes/textures would be enough
Old 01-20-13, 11:02 AM   #12
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
How the scripts you mentioned before are pointing to the GR2 clothing items?

Wouldn't it work as for unit's equipments, where item's unique names are used, no matter in which GR2 file they are located, as long as the file is in the correct folder?

In this case, duplicating the existing files and replacing meshes/textures would be enough
The character's clothing and items are located in \data\Characters\CharacterBodyParts.GR2. If the game is only referencing this file and only in this path then your idea will not work. If the game is only referencing this file your idea will not work. If the game is only referencing this path then your idea will work. Make sense I have no clue what the game is doing in regards to this file so you'll have to test and find out

As far as scripting items visible/not visible it's done by this:

Wp:SetBodyPartVisibility("B_Hat05", 1);

Where the item in ""s comes from the CharacterBodyParts.GR2 file. The 1 says to make it visible. A 0 says to make it invisible (hide it)
Old 01-20-13, 11:21 AM   #13
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
If the game is only referencing this path then your idea will work. Make sense I have no clue what the game is doing in regards to this file so you'll have to test and find out

As far as scripting items visible/not visible it's done by this:

Wp:SetBodyPartVisibility("B_Hat05", 1);

Where the item in ""s comes from the CharacterBodyParts.GR2 file. The 1 says to make it visible. A 0 says to make it invisible (hide it)
Yes, makes sense

Looks to me similar to the system used for equipments and crews aboard units. With this model in mind I would say that some testing by someone who is already well experienced with your GR2 Editor, could be worth the time spent in it