SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > Wolfpack
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-07-23, 02:44 PM   #46
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Default Welcome aboard!

Eteocles!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-23, 04:21 AM   #47
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eteokles View Post
Just taking the dive officer exam.
It's wrongly spelled Pappenburg gauge instead of Papenberg

Also, there's questions around the "Dive Safe" Panel for the advanced exam, that panel isn't even in the game yet, how are we supposed to know that?

Another mistake in the advanced dive officer training:
10. To "ride the bubble", you may blow up to ____________ of water from the MBTs.
Answers are either 5PSI or 5cm3, correct is 5m3
The training videos were made with the new patch in mind, so they are primarily to educate players as much as they are to train current ones. It's not that you're expected to know them, rather that you're expected to know them having watched the videos, in order that you're prepared for the changes in a number of roles.

Not made clear in the video's, but I've noticed that there's no line of sight from the dive-safe panel to either of the two MBT valves, so rather than having the DO open those valves, (as he does now) it's likely that he will instead command "flood MBT's" whilst he watches the panel with other crewmen operating them to precipitate the dive.
Fidd is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-23, 07:30 PM   #48
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Sorry if this has been asked - answered, once you complete an exam, can you get access to all of the correct answers.
For future reference.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-23, 01:48 PM   #49
[SJ]Rivet
Watch

Downloads: 27

Just did the enigma exam. Got 1 question wrong and I know why. Skipped through the choices too quickly. Take your time guys.

I know I have the option to try again. I did that once in another exam but it felt like cheating
[SJ]Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-23, 05:10 PM   #50
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SJ]Rivet View Post
Just did the enigma exam. Got 1 question wrong and I know why. Skipped through the choices too quickly. Take your time guys.

I'm guilty of zipping through these at times And have suffered the result once or thrice

Back in the Day

Old 08-28-23, 05:12 PM   #51
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyDedPoet View Post
Sorry if this has been asked - answered, once you complete an exam, can you get access to all of the correct answers.
For future reference.

Back in the Day

Old 11-15-23, 11:24 AM   #52
NoddyAsh
Watch

Downloads: 16
Default Ship Identification Exam

The training video seems to have been removed on the Ship Identification Exam.

Russ

Last edited by NoddyAsh; 11-17-23 at 09:59 AM.
NoddyAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-23, 10:20 PM   #53
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10

There have been a few changes to the engines, mostly slight simplification as regards "going up though the gears" on the e-motor. It's now also possible to flood the cylinders with sea-water, which I believe was not a thing when the Academy film was made. There are also a number of problems one can get into with exceeding the motor-current, particularly when recharging.

I do not know, but I would not be surprised to see, an edited version of the training film to bring things up to date, or, a new film to cover these new bits at some point before the patch. If no such film is produced there should now be a small cadre of us who've been practicing whilst testing, who can give advice and take you through the basics. Expect to spend a LOT of time doing the "walk of shame" to reset the breakers! I know I did - and occasionally still do!

Even when you've learned the usual evolutions, you'll find that you may need to come to some agreement about how things are done with your usual captain, especially if it's just you at the back. For example, ringing Half-Ahead on diesels AND recharge, is (IMHO) best done with both diesels charging, and with as many rpm as you manage before the motor (generator in this case) current is exceeded. This will recharge very quickly, whereupon the e-motors are turned off, and full-power with diesels brought up. The reasons for this are twofold. One, it'll mean equal thrust from both props at all times, which will mean the helmsman is happy, as it'll be easier to hold a heading. Two, it'll allow the diesels to warm slowly during that charge period, and you'll find it much easier to later develop full power. That just works for me and my skipper. A certain amount of exploration and discussion may be required, as if your captain asks for full power on stone cold engines... the answer sometimes is just "Can't!"

Plan on 3 weeks utter chaos until this shakes down, and try and hook up with an ex-tester, most will have a reasonable idea of how to operate the engines, or at least, what works for them!

Lastly, expect some changes to now common routines. Some previously simple routines, such as nailing a particular speed, are harder now because you can only adjust it according to what you're told, and exactly getting a given speed on diesels is much less straightforward. Similarly, doing a "quick stop" to zero kts, currently easy, will required more teamwork and will be much harder than currently, or at least doing do quickly is.
Fidd is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-24, 07:01 AM   #54
Pakoa
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 50

First HAPPY NEW YEAR 2024 , I am Pakoa, a member of Subsim for a few years now although I have not had much, or any, social activity, I have only downloaded Mods for S.H V, and Dangerus water. Back in the day I received a message from subsim in reference to the academy for WolfPack with certification included and it seemed like a majestic idea, today, January 1, 2024 I decided to enter it, follow the video tutorials and proceed to examine myself in each 'trade' starting naturally from scratch. What is my surprise that when taking the first exam as a Helmsman when answering the first 10 questions I try to go to page 2 to answer the following ones, there is no way for me to turn the page, no matter how many times I click 'Next' I can't do it , nothing happens, it stays as it is, with my first 10 answers but without turning the page. Can someone give me some clue as to what is happening? Thank you all, glad to start here and I wish you a happy new year. Best regards
Pakoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-24, 11:24 AM   #55
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default Welcome aboard!

Pakoa!...the infamous 7-year-itch brings U 2 the surface from 'silent running' since joining in 2016! lf no one else assists U, a PM to Onkel Neal for advice might help. I'm working my way slowly thru the training myself, but have not had this problemo.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-01-24 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-06-24, 12:25 PM   #56
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Update Jan 2024

As you may be aware, there have been several significant changes to Wolfpack that will require new Training videos.

As of Jan 6, 2024
Propulsion Systems (Updated)
Obermachinist (Updated)
E-machinist (Updated)

Radioman - currently under revision
Enigma - currently under revision

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...89#post2851589
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-24, 08:33 AM   #57
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
Update Jan 2024

As you may be aware, there have been several significant changes to Wolfpack that will require new Training videos.

As of Jan 6, 2024
Propulsion Systems (Updated)
Obermachinist (Updated)
E-machinist (Updated)

Radioman - currently under revision
Enigma - currently under revision

Feb 2024
Radioman Training video is complete.

Enigma training has been rolled into Radioman Training.
Old 03-02-24, 11:33 AM   #58
BiggA94
Nub

Downloads: 0

Hi there, I have currently gone though the helmsman trainings.

There are two things i have found so far that may help others in the future.
The first Helmsman Quiz is asking for questions, that are not coved in the first video, but in Fox's guide or the Senior Helmsman Video (which is the second Test). Which is not a problem per se, since it is mentioned, that the written guide is another resource.

On the other hand, there is a Problem with one question:
The Video tells us, the correct speed after a dive is All Ahead Half (5:28), while Fox's guide is saying it should be Dead Slow (3.3 - Dive Orders, Routine Dive, Execution).

Also, I can't seem to see any explanations on the results page.
BiggA94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-24, 08:22 AM   #59
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggA94 View Post
Hi there, I have currently gone though the helmsman trainings.

There are two things i have found so far that may help others in the future.
The first Helmsman Quiz is asking for questions, that are not coved in the first video, but in Fox's guide or the Senior Helmsman Video (which is the second Test). Which is not a problem per se, since it is mentioned, that the written guide is another resource.

On the other hand, there is a Problem with one question:
The Video tells us, the correct speed after a dive is All Ahead Half (5:28), while Fox's guide is saying it should be Dead Slow (3.3 - Dive Orders, Routine Dive, Execution).

Also, I can't seem to see any explanations on the results page.

Thanks, can you direct me to which questions are not covered in the video?

correct speed after a dive was probably Full historically; The training goes with Half as a compromise. Diving at Dead Slow would be a very long process.
Old 03-03-24, 12:36 PM   #60
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Welcome aboard!

BiggA94!