SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Indie Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-16-15, 11:12 PM   #106
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Scrapping the side view idea. Fixing up my interior and using that, starting with the bridge/sail, attack center and control room.

Updates soon, were rewriting the buoyancy system and had to switch to first person from third person.

We have the ability to swim. MY partner wants the choice to load a save or launch a rescue mission commanding a surface ship then a deep submersible if you get sunk. Comments?
Old 03-17-15, 10:53 AM   #107
nsomnia
Weps

Day/night cycle check it out (30 seconds)
Old 03-17-15, 11:21 AM   #108
Avolanty
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Default I'm his partner

Hey guys I am currently working on the Nautiluis SSN-571 tanks and I will be simulating 17 tanks for dive and surfacing so I will have questions later on about what to blow and what to fill. I was an aircraft mechanic at one point but never dealt with vessels of the deep. I am working with Nsomnia currently and appreciate the help you guys have to offer.
Avolanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 11:33 AM   #109
Avolanty
Swabbie

Downloads: 1
Default Flooding

So Im making the Main Quarters and Galley compartments into flood able compartments. Can anyone tell me how they are divided up so if a rupture was to happen on one side I can tell which and how many to flood? I understand that the crew could shut certain doors to stop flooding and that's what i want to simulate.
Avolanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-15, 11:40 AM   #110
nsomnia
Weps

Old 03-17-15, 06:45 PM   #111
Chad
ACE

Downloads: 60

Welcome to the forums Avolanty! I have been following nsomnia's progress since, well probably the start of the thread, and things seem to be progressing really quickly and great quality.

Can't help you with the flooding question though unfortunately.
Old 03-18-15, 06:17 PM   #112
nsomnia
Weps

Started set dressing the tutorial level with some battleships, PT boats, coastal defense boats, ack ack guns, piers, crates, forklifts, cranes etc.

Gonna start rebuilding the GUI tomorrow while I wait for Avolanty to migrate his new buoyancy system over with my finished Nautilus model.

Big updates soon. I have a preview video but I'm gonna wait a bit to post it. I'll try to get a pic up of the demo/tutorial level soon. Takinga break for a while another 10 hour day.
Old 03-19-15, 03:20 PM   #113
nsomnia
Weps

Made a port, it looks nice but I'm redoing it to look more intense with barbed wire fence, big tall lights, forklifts etc. got some PT boats, a cruiser a battleship, nautilus of course, an ohio class, lots and lots and lots of props day/night cycle, basic calender keeping. (I can compress time, but not the physics yet so have to look into hiring a c++ coder for that)

My partner has the boat 100% ready to go. Every tank is simulated and if you want to play on hard settings you can trim your boat out choosing how many litres of water to pump around the trim tanks you can drive the boat with the bow and stern planes manually.

Should be combining our work together this weekend or early next week looking at a April 5th free pre-alpha demo release for beta testing and feedback.
Old 03-20-15, 07:28 AM   #114
nsomnia
Weps

A minor set-back on the buoyancy system during a maintain depth command. We have oscillation rather than sitting at a steady depth. In talks over the next step: either I write my own controller code and have my partner work on something else major, or he irons out the bugs and perfects it while I work on other major systems. Will post pictures right away. Unless you guys want videos to see how it drives?
Old 03-20-15, 07:34 AM   #115
nsomnia
Weps

Playing around with some props for building a naval base (trying to figure out the best way for chain link fences without having hundreds of thousands of tris) for the demo level aka tutorial level.

Old 03-20-15, 07:39 AM   #116
nsomnia
Weps

Making a turn hard to starboard at ahead 2/3 rudders are placeholders, old model, and not textured other than a metallic black PBM material.

I've taken time away from the GUI to model.

Old 03-20-15, 07:51 AM   #117
nsomnia
Weps

Basic time compression system in place in a test project, just not implemented in the main project yet.

Features being worked on

-Chunked terrain for endless oceans rather than moving the world origin with the player
-Random ocean floor
-Snow, rain, sleet, ice, lightning all other weather
-Camera effects like shaking and water dripping
-First person exporable ships
-Flat calm through hurricane weather
-Biomes from the arctic sea all the way to the pacific equator.
-Dynamic rope system for mooring/towed array&&antenna
-Radar & sonar
-Taking control of the dive system (adjusting trim, controlling the planes etc)
-Torpedo system
-Prototype weapon systems (add 2x 5" deck guns to an Ohio class, why not?)
-Research tech tree
-Home port ala Janes 688i/Kerbal space program (interactable buildings for upgrades/supplies etc)
-Characters, voice acting (for now it will be cheesy, but random & soundtrack (in talk with a couple musicians)
-Damage system currently only about 12 damage zones per ship that affect its buoyancy
-Homing and wire guided torpedos
-ICBMS and boomers
-Fully dynamic campaign
-Crew upgrade, morale and abilities, and stats system including rank
-Friendly forces fighting alongside you when deemed appropriate from HQ how dynamics we can make it... will have to be seen
-Full sub vs sub multiplayer
-ASW addon commanding a cruiser
-Better ocean visuals
-Intelligence gathering/SEAL team missions
-Russian campaign
-When you get sunk you can load a previous game, or play a "mini-game"where you have to rescue your sub before they run out of oxygen or something and you get to save your crew youve worked so hard to upgrade and they gain toughness points or something
-Earth sized map system
-A lot more... note all of this is either in extremely early alpha or only in the design/research stage.

Features completed 100% for the first alpha (not the free demo)
Fish flocks (small numbers, more for eye candy cause it will kill performance)
Fully controllable ballast system
Explorable interior
Basic game dynamics Save/Load, GUI, ship controller, first person controller
A number of enemy and friendly ships
USS Nautilus
Old 03-20-15, 07:59 AM   #118
nsomnia
Weps

Some of the weather effects being worked on

Old 03-20-15, 08:02 AM   #119
nsomnia
Weps

An example of the fish, not that will we be using it outside of the port, other than a few easter eggs. We all live in a yellow submrine...

Old 03-20-15, 08:07 AM   #120
nsomnia
Weps

And lastly in terms of performance we have about 80sq km blocks of ocean the player can physically be in at once before having to stream another one, at 85-110 fps on my GTX 760 Ti (2013 card)