SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-09-17, 07:03 AM   #1
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

radar Russia's developing 100 megaton dirty Tsunami Creating submarine drone bomb

Russia's developing 100 megaton dirty Tsunami Creating submarine drone bomb

Quote:
The Russian government daily Rossiyskaya Gazeta reported that to achieve ‘extensive radioactive contamination' the weapon ‘could envisage using the so-called cobalt bomb, a nuclear weapon designed to produce enhanced amounts of radioactive fallout compared to a regular atomic warhead,'" Schneider said.

Retired Air Force Gen. Robert Kehler, former commander of the U.S. Strategic Command, has said development of the underwater nuclear strike vehicle is one element of a "troubling" Russian strategic nuclear buildup.

Rep. Mike Rogers (R., Ala.), chairman of the House subcommittee on strategic forces, has said that the Russians assert the nuclear drone submarine will be used to target coastal areas and inflict "unacceptable damage to a country's territory by creating areas of wide radioactive contamination that would be unsuitable for military, economic, or other activity for long periods of time."

Russia calls the system "Ocean Multipurpose System 'Status-6," and it is allegedly capable of traveling underwater to distances of to 6,200 miles. It can submerge to depths of 3,280 feet and travel at speeds of up to 56 knots.

The Pentagon has confirmed that a new Russian nuclear delivery drone is real. The undersea drone, which carries an enormous nuclear warhead to destroy coastal cities and military bases, was tested late last month.

Great, just what the world needs.
Old 03-09-17, 07:10 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Isn't man clever.

But honestly said I just waited for somebody bypassing the air-delivery of nuclear warheads by sending them in below the water surface. Not thinking about tsunami creation, but about undetected delivery avoiding anti-missile systems.

If mankind succeeds in wiping itself out, we certainly have no right to cry about ourselves.
Old 03-09-17, 07:21 AM   #3
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

More evidence the human race is de-evolving.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 07:35 AM   #4
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Those news are old. And yes, if armed with a high yeild weapon it is one of the ways to bypass US ABM in a second strike scenario.

However there is a reason why it is called "multipurpose" - the long endurance UUVs have many uses. For example they can carry sonar and lightweight torpedoes and assist the mothesub in attacking hostile subs.
Old 03-09-17, 07:48 AM   #5
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Seems a bit overkill, but I guess that's how things are going now. Guess the US will have to re-activate the Neutron bombs.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 07:50 AM   #6
Dowly
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
More evidence the human race is de-evolving.
Devolving compared to what? The Antiquity? The Middle-Ages? The past 100 years where we've had two bloody world wars?
Dowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 07:59 AM   #7
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Devolving compared to what? The Antiquity? The Middle-Ages? The past 100 years where we've had two bloody world wars?
We need to get on with each other, want a beer Dowly?

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 08:01 AM   #8
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

And how long before the U.S and other countries develop the same sort of weapon or something similar. Just think of all that would be possible if all the money used in research and development and production of weapons like these were instead used in medical research or improving the quality of life of it's citizens.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 08:11 AM   #9
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowly View Post
Exactly. I'm still waiting to read about this mythical era when everyone got along and the world was filled with peace and friendship. As far as I can tell the human race is more peaceful and friendly than it ever was in hte past.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 08:12 AM   #10
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

Seems a bit overkill, but I guess that's how things are going now. Guess the US will have to re-activate the Neutron bombs.
As a strategic platform - it is a decent deterent, but in my opinion it's tactical applications are more valuable.

p.s. we have a consistent effort to introduce various non TT launched UUVs onto our submarines. Currently:
- we have Oscar-II->Oscar-III refits which would receive non autonomous UUVs.
- experimental Oscar-II refit to house various UUVs, including Status-6.
- purpose built Status-6 carriers (Khabarovsk class).
- future Husky class multirole SSNs/SSGNs which would also carry various UUVs.

Some of the UUV systems, such as the ones selected for the Oscar-III configuration are already quite mature.

Makes me wonder how RN and other second class Navies are doing on UUV front.

Last edited by ikalugin; 03-09-17 at 08:28 AM.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 08:30 AM   #11
Skybird
Soaring

The difference between now and back then is that back then people might have imagined they had the power to send mankind into oblivion, but they never were able to acchieve that, not at all: it was just imagination, a fantasy. Only nature could achieve that, by using epidemic diseases or asteroids. And occasionally, it had some serious tries.

But today, man can extinct himself by his own hand for sure. And that is not just imagination, but fact. Nuclear weapons, biological weapons, both options are facts. Both weapons were not existent in earlier times.

Quite big a difference.
Old 03-09-17, 09:04 AM   #12
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The difference between now and back then is that back then people might have imagined they had the power to send mankind into oblivion, but they never were able to acchieve that, not at all: it was just imagination, a fantasy. Only nature could achieve that, by using epidemic diseases or asteroids. And occasionally, it had some serious tries.

But today, man can extinct himself by his own hand for sure. And that is not just imagination, but fact. Nuclear weapons, biological weapons, both options are facts. Both weapons were not existent in earlier times.

Quite big a difference.
Good thing we're more peaceful and friendly than we've ever been. Can you imagine the tyrants of the past with access to such power? We'd long since had our Götterdämmerung I think.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 09:14 AM   #13
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
Makes me wonder how RN and other second class Navies are doing on UUV front.
Nice wording.

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and...-of-the-future

Primarily though our UUVs are in an anti-mine warfare role, we'll probably branch into USVs more in the future for coastal patrol in combination with UAVs, but I doubt we'll go too far with UUVs since we don't really have an operational need for them at this stage. However, when it comes time to develop a successor for the Astute, probably 20-30 years from now, I'd put decent money on a UUV, or at the very least a highly automated, lower crewed submarine, a bit like the original plans for the Alfa before reality got in the way.
Old 03-09-17, 09:17 AM   #14
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Good thing we're more peaceful and friendly than we've ever been. Can you imagine the tyrants of the past with access to such power? We'd long since had our Götterdämmerung I think.
But is it the weapons that have secured the peace, or the peace that has secured the weapons?
Old 03-09-17, 09:27 AM   #15
Skybird
Soaring

Could you imagine a Horton H-XVIII with a German nuclear bomb approaching your East Coast in late 45 or during 46 and your air defence helpless to intercept it in time?

Or waves of smaller Horten fighters ruling the sky over Britain at will, reducing British reaction times from 18-20 minutes to less than 2 minutes?

That era is not that long ago.

And what about IS getting WMDs today? Saddam Hussein? Assad?

Tribal wars and rassist genocides in Africa going on until today?

Some things have changed, yes. The Westerner has become less willing to use violence, while others currently put violence of their own onto a new level, thanks to having just gotten access to according technologies.

I would be careful to claim that mankind in general has become "kinder". Whoch also is true for the West. We have just learnt to betray ourselves and let the killing and dying do by others, and preferrably without us taking note of it.

Also, history can reverse, and undo civilizational achievements. We see that happening in Europe currently, the mass migration and the growing conflicts it fores upon us - to defend achievements again that we thoguht were already safe and won since decades, now being rejected with the greatest naturalness under the cover of respect for "foreign culture".

I probabbly know what you meant, but I would not take it that much for granted as your words seem to imply. As I see it, we currently walk backwards, not forward, and "democracy" is in open retreat all around the globe, including Europe and America. We already live in the post-democratic era. Our optimism was unfounded. Our hope was misled. Things decline. Freedom dies, slowly, but it dies.