Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-20, 06:34 AM   #12886
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Cabinet Office minister Michael Gove is in Brussels at the start of a week of talks about the UK's future relationship with the European Union.

Mr Gove is meeting European Commission Vice President Maros Sefcovic to discuss implementation of the Brexit divorce deal.

And on Tuesday formal negotiations will resume as the two sides attempt to agree a post-Brexit trade deal.

Last week the UK said a lot of work remains before a deal can be reached.

An EU spokesman said their chief negotiator Michel Barnier was neither optimistic nor pessimistic but determined to reach a deal.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54318987
I sincerely hope and believe a deal can be reached.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 09-29-20, 05:05 AM   #12887
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Michael Gove has said parts of a bill which override provisions in the Brexit deal agreed with the EU would remain, despite EU requests to remove them.

The Cabinet Office minister said he is "committed" to reaching a deal on the UK's future relationship with the EU.

He met the European Commission's Maros Sefcovic to discuss the UK's future relationship with the EU on Monday.

Mr Sefcovic said the UK's negotiating position is still "far apart from what the EU can accept".

Formal trade talks resume on Tuesday.

Mr Gove said the talks on implementing the withdrawal agreement are at a "healthy stage".

But both sides say there is still disagreement over the UK's plan to override parts of the withdrawal agreement relating to Northern Ireland in a bill currently going through the House of Commons.

Speaking after his meeting with Mr Gove, Vice President Mr Sefcovic said there was a "window of opportunity" to come to an agreement on the Northern Ireland protocol, but added that was "rapidly closing".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54318987

Old 09-30-20, 05:31 AM   #12888
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

It would appear the UK are now prepared to offer a major concession so now it is up to the EU to reciprocate yes?

Quote:
Britain has offered a three-year transition period for European fishing fleets to allow them to prepare for the post-Brexit changes as part of an 11th-hour deal sweetener.

The catches of EU fishermen would be “phased down” between 2021 and 2024 to offer time for European coastal communities to adapt to the changes.

The lengthy transition period is contained in a new negotiating paper tabled ahead of the current round of negotiations in Brussels between the teams respectively led by the UK’s chief negotiator, David Frost, and his EU counterpart, Michel Barnier.

The idea of a phase-down period had been floated previously but details had not been provided until recent days.

“We have a long way to go but if the other problematic issues can be sorted, it doesn’t look like fisheries will stand in the way of an agreement”, said one senior EU diplomat.
On the other hand.

Quote:
Britain's car industry risks losing out even if there is a post-Brexit trade deal with the EU, according to documents seen by the BBC.

Car parts from Japan and Turkey used in the UK will not be treated as British, so some exports may see higher tariffs.

In a letter, Britain's chief Brexit negotiator says the UK has failed so far to get the car parts deal it wants, and "obviously cannot insist on it".

Having enough parts sourced within the UK and EU is key to a free trade deal.

Old 09-30-20, 07:33 AM   #12889
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Boris and the Fish. And Farage and the fish. And reality.
https://theconversation.com/fact-che...f-europe-39966
Also look at the comments.
Or here: https://www.dw.com/en/uk-fishing-ind...ngs/a-51418061

So you have a new single trade deal with Japan. Another trade deal was and is in existence with the EU. Is your new single deal better than the one Japan has and had with the EU and all its members?

Immigration? Did you get the sovereignty back you never lost? Do you stop immigration now?

In this other thread about the policeman who has been shot - what has this to do with the EU or brexit as some wrote? So it was or is the EU's fault? Or the penalty, is it not serious enough? Did you change any rule because of being in the EU regarding prison, in the past? Are you changing laws and rules now?

Nothing convinced me by now that brexit has brought anything positive yet, but wait and see.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 09-30-20, 07:39 AM   #12890
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Far too early to say but I can predict the Tories will be quick to ditch Boris if the house of cards and party public opinion starts to diminish.

Old 09-30-20, 03:29 PM   #12891
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Agreed but too late. They should have stopped him before the damage was done:

https://www.dw.com/en/uk-lawmakers-a...tum/a-55098694

The Peers will debate till early December. If the bill passes the House of Lords, the EU should stop negotiations immediately. There is no point trying to come to terms if one side doesn't play by the rules.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 09-30-20, 04:01 PM   #12892
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

I wonder if my British friends have made any thoughts on what will happen if no agreement is made=hard brexit.

Do they think the life will turn to the good or bad if this should happen ?

Markus
Old 10-01-20, 05:38 AM   #12893
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidman View Post
Agreed but too late. They should have stopped him before the damage was done:

https://www.dw.com/en/uk-lawmakers-a...tum/a-55098694

The Peers will debate till early December. If the bill passes the House of Lords, the EU should stop negotiations immediately. There is no point trying to come to terms if one side doesn't play by the rules.
I'm quite embarrassed by it all

Wasn't a big fan of Theresa May but I certainly an't argue with her when she said "lead to untold damage to the UK's reputation and put its future at risk."

Old 10-01-20, 05:40 AM   #12894
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
I wonder if my British friends have made any thoughts on what will happen if no agreement is made=hard brexit.

Do they think the life will turn to the good or bad if this should happen ?

Markus
It will definitely prove to be bad for both sides.

Old 10-01-20, 05:48 AM   #12895
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Just come across this (less than thirty minutes old).

Quote:
The EU has begun legal proceedings against the UK after it refused to ditch plans to override sections of its Brexit divorce deal.

An EU deadline for the government to remove sections of the Internal Market Bill passed on Wednesday.

The "letter of formal notice" could eventually lead to a court case against the UK at the European Court of Justice, the EU's top court.

The UK said it would respond to the letter "in due course".

European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said the UK would have until the end of November to respond to the EU's concerns over the draft legislation.

However, the EU will continue talks over a post-Brexit trade deal in Brussels. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said both sides should "move on" if a deal was not reached by mid-October.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54370226
Another step backwards imho but we are at where we are at and Boris has once more proven that if you have a big enough parliamentary majority something Theresa May never had) you can pretty much do as you please.

Old 10-02-20, 06:38 AM   #12896
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Boris Johnson will speak to the president of the EU Commission Ursula von der Leyen on Saturday to "take stock" of post-Brexit trade negotiations and "discuss next steps".

The UK and the EU have been holding their final formal rounds of trade talks in Brussels this week.

And chief negotiators Lord David Frost and Michel Barnier met earlier.

Both sides have said a deal needs to be agreed this month to take over from the transition period at the start of 2021.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54384437

Old 10-02-20, 06:45 AM   #12897
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Scotland's first minister has urged Margaret Ferrier to resign as an MP after she travelled from Glasgow to London with Covid-19 symptoms, then returned home after testing positive.

Nicola Sturgeon, who is also the SNP leader, said she had "made clear her view" to Ms Ferrier that she should "do the right thing" and step down.

Ms Ferrier has been suspended by the SNP, but cannot be sacked as an MP.

She has apologised and said she "deeply regretted" her actions.

In a tweet sent on Friday morning, Ms Sturgeon said Ms Ferrier was a "friend and colleague" and she had asked her to step down "with a heavy heart".

She added: "Her actions were dangerous and indefensible. I have no power to force an MP to resign but I hope she will do the right thing."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-54383281
Whilst I agree with Sturgeon on this, Dominic Cummings didn't lose his job for acting similarly.

Old 10-02-20, 06:49 AM   #12898
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

As far as the legal side of things goes, the UK must not worry about the EU calling the courts now. The EU can go as farh as to the EU High Court only and with the UK having brexitted, that court has nothing to tell the UK anymore.

But others take note of the UK not honouring its legal obligations. I am convinced for exmaple that the Japanese would not have signed their deal with the UK, if Johnson's stunt would have been staged before they signed it. These things matter much to Japanese, the formal correctness. Other potential trade deal partners will also think twice about what a piece of paper signed by the UK can mean in relevance and trustworthiness.

And a trade deal with the US is in doubts. Which maybe is better for the UK, since the US will pull it over the table.
Old 10-02-20, 10:53 AM   #12899
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Looking at the current time frames we should all know much better pretty soon.

Old 10-03-20, 07:25 AM   #12900
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Prime Minister Boris Johnson says there is a "good deal to be done" on a post-Brexit trade agreement, ahead of a video call with EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen.

Negotiations broke up without agreement and both sides are calling on the other to compromise on key issues, including fishing and government subsidies.

Mr Johnson said he wants a deal like one struck between the EU and Canada.

He added the relationship the bloc has with Australia "would work well" too.

"We're resolved on either course, we're prepared for either course and we'll make it work but it's very much up to our friends and partners," Mr Johnson said.

It comes after Mrs von der Leyen called for talks to "intensify", as both sides set an October deadline to settle their differences.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54397942

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics