SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > Sub Command, Fleet Command, & Jane's 688(I)
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-18-09, 06:55 AM   #1
XRayHound
Nub

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default 688i corrupt save... N00B rage!

Hey all, I'm new here but I've been simming since the early 80s and playing 688i since it came out in 97. I reinstalled it recently on a whim, found it runs smoothly and easily under Vista (unlike some other Jane's sims I could mention) and I've been having a blast.

Unfortunately not everything is wine and roses, I was playing the mission Let My People Go where you have to dodge the Turyas and Helix to insert a SEAL team into Colombia. Everything was going great, I shot on Turya right after dropping off the SEALs, he ran due north and almost got my torpedo to shut down but it caught him at the edge of the map. BOOM! This stirred the hive and the Helix started dropping torpedoes. They were meant to spook me into doing something stupid and giving away my position. I didn't fall for it, kept low and slow hugging the rocks and the shallow coastal waters, heading out for deeper water to set up attacks on the other two Turyas.

I get my second big smile of the mission when BABABOOMBOOMBLAM Conn, Sonar, Loud Explosion bearing zero-nine-four. The Hexlix friendly fired the easternmost Turya with one of the torpedoes I had ignored brazenly. I laughed so hard I almost forgot to check my fathometer and came within 5 feet of the bottom. That would have ruined my night.

So I get out to decently deep water, and save because that firendly fire incident isn't coming again. The last Turya is giving me great TMA and I shoot him. ADCAP goes running in, he's loud and clear on the sonar, DEMONing at 7 knots, COMPLETELY OBLIVIOUS to the torpedo. Then I get a phone call and have to rush out. Oh well, I just saved, all I have to do is shoot the torpedo again.

Except, when I get back and try to load it, I get the infamous GRAPHIC FAILED TO LOAD crash to desktop.

Oh well.

Anyway, I registered here mostly to tell that story. I've stewed all night over not being able to finish that mission. I found the forum while searching for a solution, but seeing as how everything else works perfectly it's probably a corrupt savegame and unfixable. Still, I wanted to tell the story, and I figured this forum might appreciate it. Browsing thorugh here has really made me want to play SC and DW, too. Anyone, good to meet you all, hope I can contribute somehow, besides crash bug stories
XRayHound is offline   Reply With Quote