SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-12-11, 02:28 AM   #1321
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 124
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
Hi guys, I am a computer neophyte and I am having some problems. I just installed SHV.exe patches to fix bugs and add function (I am using real navigation). It seems to be working but when I ask navigator for a fix it doesn't show up on either map. When I installed the Mod TDW said you need to install each version (v0.0.1, v0.0.2, v0.0.3) I made patch 1 & 2, any thoughts why my ship doesn't show up?
It takes somewhere between 30 mins and 1 hour for the mark to appear. This is to simulate the time it would take the navigator to measure the stars/sun position in the sky to pinpoint your location.

If you want an immediate map mark added, use dead reconing.

Quote:
Second question (this is really dumb) In same Mod, wanting to change the color of the different lines (compass and ruler etc), I am confussed. TDW say's to change the 4 bytes. What 4 is he talking about? When I tried to change (for example) FF222222 to GG222222 the computer wouldn't let me. Could someone give an example as to what to change the code to. I hope this is the right place to ask for help.
TDW has released a downloadable patcher that will patch your .exe for you. meaning that you no longer have to use a hex editor. look towards the bottom of his .exe mod page.

Here is the link to his .exe mod page -----> http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...39&postcount=1

Old 04-12-11, 06:11 AM   #1322
vlad29
XO

Downloads: 324

Some interesting things for those guys who have game-freeze occasions after inabling MO:
1. I"ve installed MO with few other mods in propper accordance with STOIANM's tutorials
2. After starting new campaing saved the game in port and qiut to Win.
After loading the game I tried to fire at the nearest ship in the harbour with 3 torps. Game-crash occurs only after critical hit (when the ship considered to be destroyed).
3. I fully deinstall the game (including all maps and directories, files in "My documents also, JSGME), cleaned off the register with "CD-cleaner" prog.
4. After reapiting installation procedure (incl. MO) I deleted "captainslog" file as it was mentioned above.
5. After that I successfully sent to botom the nerest ship in my harbour, but CTD occured when I tried to push the captainslog-icon (in the right corner of the interface).
6. Then repeat all the installation ops I just replaced the captlog-file after installing MO with the the same from the vanilla version of the game (before inabling MO via JSGME). The result was as in p.5 (crash and reset)
7. I restarted the savegame, went off the harbour and sank 1 british and 1 neytral merchants.
AND THERE WAS NO ANY GAME FREEZE, even after pushing the captlog icon (right corner up to "crew management icon"). All new tonnage (incl. neutral) was addit to my account.

SO I figureout that destroing FRIENDLY vessels is simply NOT CONSIDERED in the game by authors and mod-makers.
You just can see that in the captlog window interface there are no any separate divisions such as "allie ships destroyed tonnage" and "enemy ship destroyed tonnage". When you, f.e., have 20000 tonns of brits., and then terminate the 6000 tonn german (friendly) vessel, what should be the total account? 26000? - no way.
So when the AI faces this problem while making operations on calculating new account immideatly after new vessel destroyed in order to make changes in your Captlog, system failour occurs.

So everything is OK with the Magnum Opus. I dont think that replacing "captainslog"-file with the same vanilla-game file plays the key role in the process of avoiding crashes.

All outcomes above are just my own opinion, and there is a great space for further experiments remaining.

Sorry for the long post, hoping it should help AGIMA and others to fix the problem with CTD lol
vlad29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 06:14 AM   #1323
stoianm
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 833
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad29 View Post
SO I figureout that destroing FRIENDLY vessels is simply NOT CONSIDERED in the game authors and mod-makers.
you have right
stoianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 11:23 AM   #1324
Homebrewer
Seaman

Downloads: 147
Default Problem with SHV Patch - continued

Hi jwilliams, I used both navigations methods and my ship location doesn't appear on the maps. I did install the TDW patch at the bottom and thats when I have the problem with my sub not showing up. When I remove the patch my sub shows up on the maps.

I still don't know how to change the code to change the color of the compass, protractor etc. lines. Any other thoughts?
Homebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 01:46 PM   #1325
StarTrekMike
Navy Dude

Downloads: 137

Okay,

So I have patched and installed MO per the tutorial that was posted and carefully added mods in the order that was posted but I still get what appears to be random CTD's almost all of the time.

My system specs are
AMD X2 64 @2.4 Ghz
1 gig of ram (adding more soon)
ATI Radeon HD 4300 series (512 ram)

Now I know my specs will run the game as I have been running it without MO for awhile now with no problems, aside from almost 10 minute waits from starting the game to having a save loaded and running (old hard drives I think) it runs fine with a decent framerate to boot.

I have played with just the TDW UI mod and some others and it seemed to be fine, almost no CTD's and a decent load time and framerate. but the moment I add the MO mod it seems to just not want to run for more than 30 minutes without CTDing and forcing me to spend a very long time to get back into the game for another 30 minutes or so.

My current mod list

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\Program Files\Ubisoft\silenthunter5\MODS]

Magnum_Opus_v0_0_1
Remove Steelvikings shadow mod
A Fistful of Emblems v1.51
A Fistful of Emblems v1.51 (Weathered)
Open_Horizons
Lite Campaign LC 1.2
NewUIs_TDC_6_4_0_ByTheDarkWraith
Kriegsmarine Grid Map for MO and TDW UIs by stoianm
EQuaTool 01.01 by AvM - Kriegsmarine Woody Golden Style
stoianm EnvNights and blue Atlantic water for MO
stoianm EnvWeather V1 SH5
FX_Update_0_0_16_2_ByTheDarkWraith
FX_Update_0_0_16_2_UHS_Fix
IRAI_0_0_30_ByTheDarkWraith
IRAI_0_0_30_No_hydrophone_on_surface_No_Aircraft_s potting
Depth_Keeping_Problem_UHS_patch_HB_1_0_0_TheDarkWr aith
Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_1_0_byTheBeast
stoianm upgrade available mod comp Equipment_Upgrades_Fix_1_0_byTheBeast
Church's Compass Dials Mod v2.2 - Option Three

I believe this is the proper order to install these mods but any ideas about problems would be great.

I don't mean to sound angry but I am very frustrated with the game at this point, I can run Sh4 without any problem at all with the TMO mod, same goes with Sh3 and GWX gold but I can't seem to use the MO mod with Sh5 despite the fact that I love the mod and what it does to the game.

Uninstalling the C++ redistributable did not seem to help

antilag was a godsend for my framerate but did not help the CTD's

I just don't know what else to try...I am getting really sick of starting new games after losing the ability to use one save that I had been working on for awhile and got pretty far in.

if MO just cannot work on my rig than I will need to move on to other mods so I guess my next step would be finding the right mods to make the game as realistic as MO and just as pretty but in individual mod form so I can determine where the CTD's are occuring in the list and eliminate the mod so it won't cause problems.

I am at wits end...the CTD's are just getting so hard to deal with.

anyone got any advise for a desperate Skipper?

Mike

*Edit*

I am running Xp pro SP3 32 bit and seem to get the CTD's when I approach convoys (sometimes) and other times it occurs randomly with no real warning or reason.

I have even had one while I was heading out of port in St Naziere (sp?)

Last edited by StarTrekMike; 04-12-11 at 02:45 PM.
StarTrekMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 04:25 PM   #1326
Budds
Bosun

Downloads: 236

Sure wish I had an Answer for ya..........
( Bet YOU do Too,,,lol ! )

I get the occasional Lock up, with eithr silence or sometimes repeating sounds .... like a record skipping. ( Have to restart comuter to get out.)
But I get it maybe once every 20-30 hours of play time, and it seems to be COMPLETELY random.

I dont use MO.... never tried it.....
But I do use " New UIs_TDC_6_3_7_ByTheDarkWraith", in Combo with a heap of other mods. ( I know there are more current versions, but I have promised myself to FINISH this campaign I'm in, as I have restarted for new mods so many times,,,, I just Wanna Play ! )

Point being.....
You can use JUST the UIs Mod and have a VERY fulfilling Experience.... at least I do !
MO was to cut down on Mod Soups.... but hell you end up adding mods to it as well anyways.

I was an Avid Sh4 player... and it still holds up against Sh5 rather well even today.... I still have it loaded.
Fact is.... If new ships/models cannot be achieved, ( Which I believe they will tho. ), I will be going back to Sh4.

If I were you......
If you cannot get your issue resolved by help from the board here, Load the New UIs and then One by One start adding the "Extra" mods of your choice and you may discover the individual modification that is giving you grief.

Also might wanna check out some other Great Works like :

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=173147

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...=Aram+Victoria

Anywyas.............
Budds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 05:25 PM   #1327
Teiwaz
Seaman

Downloads: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTrekMike View Post
anyone got any advise for a desperate Skipper?
Seriously, get more RAM. IMO your PC hasn't got the power to run SH5. Crashes after a certain amount of time or when you encounter ships (so they have to be loaded into your RAM) for me indicate that your machine seems to be running out of gas (= RAM).
Teiwaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 07:52 PM   #1328
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Hi jwilliams, I used both navigations methods and my ship location doesn't appear on the maps. I did install the TDW patch at the bottom and thats when I have the problem with my sub not showing up. When I remove the patch my sub shows up on the maps.

I still don't know how to change the code to change the color of the compass, protractor etc. lines. Any other thoughts?
How long did you wait for your navigator to place a mark on your map.... as I said before it take quite a long time (to simulate realism).

Also....
You do not need to change any code....

Use the patcher. You just pick an option and then a window will appear and you just select a colour. then the patcher will patch your .exe with the new values

download link ----> http://www.gamefront.com/files/20162...SH5_Patcher_7z

At the very bottom of TDW post on .exe.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...39&postcount=1

Maybe list your mod list..... So I can see if mods are overwriting the real nav mod.

Last edited by jwilliams; 04-12-11 at 08:02 PM.
jwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 07:59 PM   #1329
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teiwaz View Post
Seriously, get more RAM..
^^^ this

I agree

1gb is the min that SH5 can run at on windows XP. 2gb if its vista.

So as your ram only just meets the min spec (if you using xp) or may not even meet the min spec if your using vista or 7, I'd say this is why you get alot of crashes.

Unmodded SH5 = 1gb min (XP) / 2gb min (vista or 7)

Once you add mods you will need more ram.

Old 04-12-11, 08:11 PM   #1330
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:

Unenable the real navigation with the mod enabler .

In order for real navigation to work correctly the menu.txt file will need to be copied and edited.
Step 1: disable the add-on mod NewUIs_TDC_x_x_x_Real_Navigation (if it was enabled)
Step 2: copy the menu.txt file from NewUIs_TDC_x_x_x_ByTheDarkWraith\data\Menu and place in NewUIs_TDC_x_x_x_Real_Navigation\data\Menu
Step 3: open the NewUIs_TDC_x_x_x_Real_Navigation\data\Menu\menu.tx t file with Notepad
Step 4: comment out the following lines: 820, 821, 822, 823, 824, and 2273. By commenting out I mean place a leading ; at the beginning of the line. When done the numbers listed will look like this (english version):
;820=Unknown
;821=Warship
;822=Merchant
;823=Submarine
;824=Aircraft
;2273=Your submarine
This will prevent tooltips being displayed for the items and thus giving away your position and their position. This is real navigation now.
Re enable the mod
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-11, 10:10 PM   #1331
StarTrekMike
Navy Dude

Downloads: 137

Well I do intend on getting more RAM next payday (got bills to pay this week) but I don't know if it is just that.

As I said before, the game runs fine when I don't have MO installed and I don't think that MO adds any new merchants or surface warships with higher resolution textures than the stock game.

I imagine that the interior mod does not help things to much but it seemed to run find awhile ago...just seems to not want to work at all now.

I guess I will try to go at it with single mods until I get more ram in the machine...see how that works.

I was doing so well in that game...

Mike
Old 04-12-11, 10:22 PM   #1332
jwilliams
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarTrekMike View Post
Well I do intend on getting more RAM next payday (got bills to pay this week) but I don't know if it is just that.

As I said before, the game runs fine when I don't have MO installed and I don't think that MO adds any new merchants or surface warships with higher resolution textures than the stock game.

I imagine that the interior mod does not help things to much but it seemed to run find awhile ago...just seems to not want to work at all now.

I guess I will try to go at it with single mods until I get more ram in the machine...see how that works.

I was doing so well in that game...

Mike

MO adds a shadow mod (SteelViking: Shadow Improvement Mod (High res version)), that really stresses computers. I believe there is a reduced shadow mod to help with this.

Edited to add link :-

Here is the shadow mod link, here you will also find the reduced version.... Install after MO.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...44&postcount=1
Old 04-12-11, 10:48 PM   #1333
Homebrewer
Seaman

jwilliams and sober, I told you I am a computer neophyte. The good news is after following you instructions I now have a navigation mark of my sub

Still trying to change the compass lines and ruler lines. When I open SHV patch and open the file it is a blank page. There is no choice or anything. I have downloaded the patch 4 time same results, so I am doing something wrong. Thanks for all your help I just need a little more. What am I doing wrong.
Old 04-12-11, 10:55 PM   #1334
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
jwilliams and sober, I told you I am a computer neophyte. The good news is after following you instructions I now have a navigation mark of my sub

Still trying to change the compass lines and ruler lines. When I open SHV patch and open the file it is a blank page. There is no choice or anything. I have downloaded the patch 4 time same results, so I am doing something wrong. Thanks for all your help I just need a little more. What am I doing wrong.
Put the 4 files from the mod in the main game folder .
Then open the patcher program you just put in the main game folder .
Click , file , backup exe .
Then go back and click file , open ,TDW_SH5_Patches
Click on the TDW_SH5_Patches then click on the SH5.exe symbol .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 12:22 AM   #1335
Homebrewer
Seaman

Thank you sobor and jwilliams, everything works great and all it tock was you guys holding my hand step by step.

Should I put the files back into the mod folder?