Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-20, 10:44 AM   #1036
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

What looms ahead for Germany. Not nice.

http://translate.google.com/translat..._11762875.html

The authors talk frankly, different to the government.

No, people, this is not just another seasonal flu.
Old 03-12-20, 10:45 AM   #1037
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

On some level "buying" stuff seems to be comforting to people, so when there is trouble on the way I think part of it is that people like to buy stuff. Hoarders love to be surrounded in their "stuff" so.... "Buying" may also give a feeling of having some control over something that you don't have much control over.
Old 03-12-20, 10:46 AM   #1038
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus Shinra View Post
Huh. I guess it might, after a Google check, though I don't really come from that same cultural background. I simply say that to cover everyone in the group to which I'm talking, in this case the posters on this forum. Sorry if there was some offense, none was meant.

Ok, thanks, I understand.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 10:55 AM   #1039
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
On some level "buying" stuff seems to be comforting to people, so when there is trouble on the way I think part of it is that people like to buy stuff. Hoarders love to be surrounded in their "stuff" so.... "Buying" may also give a feeling of having some control over something that you don't have much control over.
Do you fasten your seatbelts when entering your car and are about to drive away? I mean it is quite irrational a fear to do so, you cannot control accidents, so I wonder why people do it.
Old 03-12-20, 10:56 AM   #1040
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Location: The land of the free with a glorious military history (France)
Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
Hmm, might explain why I bought lots of stuff when I visited a SSBN, to control the nukes. :-P

Nah, more seriously, it's pretty much on-point, helplessness is an awful feeling, and people usually need a lot of rituals to get over that feeling, to get the impression they control their fate when some events are too big for individual influence over them. Sailors' traditions are a good example of it, as are many rituals, be they organized or personal (OCD is a good example).

I shouldn't throw stones, it took me a lot of time to stop worrying about living close enough to a strategic target that my life expectancy would be counted in seconds once the warning sirens rang (think London's four minutes warning).

We can't do anything about this epidemic, just do our best to not further complicate the job for the medical workers and the administration.
Rufus Shinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 11:12 AM   #1041
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
I shouldn't throw stones, it took me a lot of time to stop worrying about living close enough to a strategic target that my life expectancy would be counted in seconds once the warning sirens rang (think London's four minutes warning).
Think positive the country that launched the missiles first only have 15 minutes left till we retaliate
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 11:17 AM   #1042
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
Think positive the country that launched the missiles first only have 15 minutes left till we retaliate
Oh, we'd retaliate, but that'd only mean more people trying to steal my plushies in Hell. Still, my heart usually beats a skip when the sirens are tested once a month. Unless I'm with a foreigner at that moment, in which case I wonder whether to pull their leg and tell them Iran is attacking and they need to find cover.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 03-12-20, 11:29 AM   #1043
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

Quote:
Or, you know, realize that if you're under fifty, that virus isn't exactly a threat to you. In the US, there's a bit more than one death per 10,000 people per year due to car crashes. The virus kills roughly 0,2 % of the under 50-yo people, and that's mainly, IIRC, people with pre-existing conditions already.

So, yeah. Buying supplies only makes sense if you feel your government is going to collapse entirely. I don't.
Yes, but just about everyone wears a seat belt. With that logic, people should wash hands, not touch their face, stay clear of those that are visibly sick and most of all...get plenty of rest.

The government will not collapse certainly. Although I think some are trying to cause a collapse.
Old 03-12-20, 11:33 AM   #1044
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Well, there is a panic among buyers, it seems. Ah, well, if they like having their place full of toilet paper...
Well, there is always room for additional toilet paper. It is useful stuff in certain situations.

But like a snow storm or hurricane, snow melts and one can get to the store. Hurricanes blow over and one can get to the store. This virus will pass as well and one can get to the store.

The truly sad part here is the media is driving this panic. This virus is not like ebola virus.
Old 03-12-20, 11:42 AM   #1045
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
Yes, but just about everyone wears a seat belt. With that logic, people should wash hands, not touch their face, stay clear of those that are visibly sick and most of all...get plenty of rest.

The government will not collapse certainly. Although I think some are trying to cause a collapse.
Well, these safety gestures are the ones recommended by governments for a reason, rather than going straight for the President Madagascar route.
Quote:
Well, there is always room for additional toilet paper. It is useful stuff in certain situations.

But like a snow storm or hurricane, snow melts and one can get to the store. Hurricanes blow over and one can get to the store. This virus will pass as well and one can get to the store.

The truly sad part here is the media is driving this panic. This virus is not like ebola virus.
Yep. Ah, well, I guess it means the healthcare workers will be the ones honoured this year, compared to the fire brigades last year. Other than that, life goes on and survivalists will mutter 'next time, next time...'. As for the media, they'll milk it as much as possible, as usual.
Old 03-12-20, 11:45 AM   #1046
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Well, these safety gestures are the ones recommended by governments for a reason, rather than going straight for the President Madagascar route.

Yep. Ah, well, I guess it means the healthcare workers will be the ones honoured this year, compared to the fire brigades last year. Other than that, life goes on and survivalists will mutter 'next time, next time...'. As for the media, they'll milk it as much as possible, as usual.
I'm waiting on the zombie apocalypse.
Old 03-12-20, 11:52 AM   #1047
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
I'm waiting on the zombie apocalypse.
My main flat has reinforced windows, a 4 cm thick steel door and the police is a couple of minutes away on foot. I guess it'll be a noisy afternoon before I get to do the grocery run while carefully stepping around zombie corpses. Or I guess I'll have to man the barricades, as each generation usually does at least once, but this time we'll have the police AND the Germans on our side for a change. :-P

There's a reason Shaun of the Dead is my favourite zombie movie: the Army comes in within the day and ends the whole thing. Zombie apocalypses are even less scary than normal pandemics, heh heh.
Old 03-12-20, 11:54 AM   #1048
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
As for the media, they'll milk it as much as possible, as usual.
And that is a big part of the problem. For them this is like finding money on the street. They live for this and do everything they can to sow fear and panic. I for one am very sceptical when it comes to the MSM's coverage of this thing.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-20, 11:56 AM   #1049
Rufus Shinra
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
And that is a big part of the problem. For them this is like finding money on the street. They live for this and do everything they can to sow fear and panic. I for one am very sceptical when it comes to the MSM's coverage of this thing.
Fun thing is, 'alternative media' are even worse about that... and other covered subjects. They are just as much a business as the MSM, but with even less oversight and ethics, not caring about their reputation since they're appealing to niche markets that will look only for confirmation of their initial bias.
Old 03-12-20, 12:07 PM   #1050
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Quote:
Fun thing is, 'alternative media' are even worse about that... and other covered subjects. They are just as much a business as the MSM, but with even less oversight and ethics, not caring about their reputation since they're appealing to niche markets that will look only for confirmation of their initial bias.
Well to be honest I don't see much difference. The MSM has more money, a bigger audience and the big name talking heads, but if they are no more reliable than some guy's blog it puts them on the same level. And then there is the obvious political bias to deal with.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan