SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-06-10, 05:05 PM   #1
rosentorf
A-ganger

Downloads: 79
Uploads: 0
Default Who am I fighting against again?

Hey there,

I have been gone for a little while, but now I am back and after playing with Fleetboats I want to try out what Operation Monsoon can do. I have downloaded it and installed it with the OMEGU. Man it looks impressiv to say the least and it has a nice feel to it.

Now I have a problem identifying the nationalities of the ships. I am used to convoys with just ships from one nation in the pacific I do not know all the flags and if Germany is at war with these countries at the moment.

Is there a list with nationalities and flags that says when these countries where enemy, ally or neutral?

--rosentorf
rosentorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 05:15 PM   #2
609_Avatar
Watch Officer

Downloads: 35

Check out this thread: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=160240

Hope it helps you.
Old 02-06-10, 05:21 PM   #3
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Keep in mind that if you get the Friend of Foe mod it is only a listing of when countries went to war with Germany in real life not in the game.

If you see a US ship in Dec '39 you can sink it with no in-game repercussions. The listing just helps you IF you want to exercise restraint and only sink ships that should actually be at war with you on a given date.

That is the biggest drawback for me with OpMonsun, everyone being an enemy from Day 1. That isn't a complaint, I have no idea what options Lurker had to weigh when he made that decision, but from a playing standpoint it is massively immersion breaking.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 05:30 PM   #4
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
That is the biggest drawback for me with OpMonsun, everyone being an enemy from Day 1. That isn't a complaint, I have no idea what options Lurker had to weigh when he made that decision, but from a playing standpoint it is massively immersion breaking.
If you would read the "readme" from OM you would find out why I did it

Quote:
4.One of the problems with “stock” SH4 is the way it treats the “detection” of neutral shipping (i.e. it basically ignores them). This behavior became unacceptable from a gameplay point of view during the development of the early war combat operations. Therefore there are “no neutrals” in OM. It will be up to the player to determine if a ship needs to be engaged or not. During the early phases of the war these normally neutral ships will remain unarmed. Also from review of the records, Uboat captains sink supposed “neutrals” during their early combat patrols
lurker_hlb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 05:59 PM   #5
rosentorf
A-ganger

Downloads: 79

Thanks Avatar... I tired the "Enemies of Germany"-Mod and it at least shows flags of the enemy nation.

But as I understand I won't get a penalty if I sink neutral shipping (besides losing a few torpedoes). If that is the case then I might just use the mod anyway just for immersion.

EDIT: I just shot four torpedoes at a merchant from south-africa. It was at war with Germany since '39 so ("actual" year in game '43). Wasn't on the list in the mod.
rosentorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-10, 05:38 AM   #6
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker_hlb3 View Post
If you would read the "readme" from OM you would find out why I did it
Yeah,

I know.

I said I don't know what the decisions you had to make were, and that still doesn't say and I wasn't asking. I assumed you made what was the best choice. The end result is not as good as it would be if the game would have properly allowed you to put neutrals in it. That is all I was saying. It is not an insult or a slight, so please drop the grumpy guy act and lighten up.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote