SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-17-24, 04:50 PM   #46
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Thats what I heard, for months and months.

My father too. My mum not. When I passed a certain point between Münster and Osnabrück, roughly aroudn the area of Lengerich - it switched on and off as if I were flipping a switch. No matter whether I was on a traion, on bike, or stoof in the forest.

I heard it again for two weeks some months ago, but not in bertween, and not again since then.

It remains to be the weirdest thing I have ever met in my life.

The video does not find/give a final explanation, none I would accept. But the author tries a fair approach.

Last edited by Skybird; 03-17-24 at 05:03 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 07:16 PM   #47
d@rk51d3
Sea Lord

Downloads: 193

I've been getting the humm for many years now.

Sounds like an industrial fan, diesel generator, or sometimes a cement mixer outside...... droning on and on.

Can't hear it all the time, but have noted on several instances it reaches an almost intolerable high just before an earthquake, then goes completely silent.

Fortunately, quakes are a rarity down here.

Last edited by d@rk51d3; 03-17-24 at 07:34 PM.
d@rk51d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 08:28 PM   #48
BetaWilhelm
Watch

Downloads: 78

This may not be related to the sound you're hearing but back in 2007 me and my dad were sitting in the back yard late one night around a fire and heard a very strange sound coming from the sky. I remember even the animals seemed affected by it. Leading up to the sound we could hear dogs and coyotes for miles barking and howling and then this screeching almost machine like sound. Dad and I both turned our heads skyward, instictivley trying to locate the source of the sound. It only lasted for 10 or 15 seconds but there was the most creepy silence after it stopped.
We both looked at each other but didn't say much other than "what the hell was that?" We packed up and went inside a few minutes after and didn't speak of it much in the years to follow. I havnt heard anything like it since but my Dad told me that he heard it again a few years later.

Now I don't know if this is a hoax or not but this video is the closest thing I can find to compare it to.

BetaWilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-24, 10:53 PM   #49
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Sounds like a guitar player messing around with feedback.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-24, 01:36 AM   #50
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Yeh!! Sounds too man made to me!

Btw, having a lot of trouble with internet speed, seems to be Subsim only!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-24, 02:38 AM   #51
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Yeh!! Sounds too man made to me!

Btw, having a lot of trouble with internet speed, seems to be Subsim only!!
I'm having the same problem on my computer and on my tablet both; and only with Subsim. I cannot switch rapidly from one function or thread to another without delays and my password is not readily recognized.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-18-24 at 03:13 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-24, 03:23 AM   #52
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Sent a pm to Neal.

Old 03-18-24, 07:30 AM   #53
Skybird
Soaring

The Hum, I stick to my early assumptions that "electromagnetic hearing", a direct stimulation of the accoustic centre in the brain, has something to do with it. The brain reacts to electromagnetic input, it works electrical, and if you stimulate according brain areas, you can create an accoustic perception without accoustic soundwaves being involved. I remind of my attempts years ago to describe the strange direction thing of the sound I heard, that when I turned the head, the sound followed to then come from the same subjectively perceived direction again, the direction corrected itself with every head movement to stay in same relative bearing - but with a delay of not more than second maybe. While at the same time being omnipresent and omnidirectional, and being perceivable always at the same volume no matter any environmental noise levels - you could not drown the hum by white sound or loud music or anything. It always is above everythgin else - but always staying at the same volume itself. Its hard to explain, maybe one cannot understand it at all if one has never heard it oneself. Very, very weired. I agree, the descritoion I gove seems to make no sense. And yet it is true in the meaning of that I describe it as correctly as I can.

Maybe imagine airraid sirenes in town, though much, much more silent. The sound they make seems to be everywhere, the hoover in the air, like a layer that puts itself over your reality, a giant blanket covering the world. And yet, one siren near to you you may be able to sort out and give it a direction where it sounds from - while at the same time the overall sirens sound still is from all directions around. Now imagine you turn your head by 90°. You would expect the single sirent chnages the relative direciton to you, that you hear the change in direction. But imagine that instead with a delay of a second or less the siren relocated so that it is at the same relative bearing to you again. Imagine you shake your head, and the sirens follows with its relocations, always with the same delay, no matter the speed of your headshaking.

Now imagine you are in my town and enter the train in the central station, you drive to Osnabrück, that is around 40km in a straight line, notheast from here. The noise of the train, and the centrla station. The city. The traffic. People. Loudspeakers. The hum/siren(s) persists, not louder, not more silent, always staying the same. You ride in the train, and halfway between arrival and destination there is a chain of hills form west to East, the Wiehengebirge, peaks at I think 270m. There is the town Lengerich, and the railway goes through a tunnel. While you are in the tunnel, the sirens all of a sudden shut down. Silence, form one split seocnd to the next! Surprise!

No sirens sound in Osnabrück, and north of Lengerich. Everything normal, as you are used to how it should be.

Later the day you board the train in the opposite direction. No sirens. Then the passage through the tunnel, and when you pop your nose out of it in Lengerich, somebody flips the switch and all of a sudden the sirens are back, the omnipresent sound as well as the directional single one.

The volume is always the same, no matter where you are.

You may understand then why I am so perplexed and confused, irritated and fascinated, and sometimes even was worried a bit.

In the video the author says he thinks there is not just one explanation for the hum, that it might be a combination of several factors. Well, there I disagree a bit. I think that maybe there is not just one hum phenomenon, but that we are talking about different phenomenons maybe, all summarising them - wrongly - under the same label.

If it would have been a brain issue, a tumor or something, I would strongly assume by now I would have felt more threatening consequences from that. Instead: nothing. No, I stick to that electromagnetical hypothesis.
Old 03-18-24, 09:32 AM   #54
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

The only Humming I could hear was my own ringing. Which are there 24/7.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-24, 09:55 AM   #55
Skybird
Soaring

Tinnitus you once said, I seem to recall at least. But thats not it, Tinnitus is something completely different. Tinnitus and the hum-phenomenon are not the same, or even just linked.
Old 03-18-24, 06:32 PM   #56
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Yes I think you already know Markus I suffer the same thing but mostly ignore it, mine is a high pitched hiss, it's the best I can describe it as.
I have a noise generator next to my bed that creates a fan noise, works well for sleeping.

Old 03-18-24, 06:48 PM   #57
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Perhaps there is a hum because it doesn't know the lyrics...

<O>
Old 03-18-24, 07:54 PM   #58
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Gee I never thought of that, good point!!

Old 03-19-24, 07:24 AM   #59
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Perhaps there is a hum because it doesn't know the lyrics...

<O>

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-24, 06:02 AM   #60
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

could be from too much hummus on one's 'poorboy'?

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote