SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-13, 10:45 AM   #151
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodya61 View Post
Hi Gabriele

I think you fail to collect trustworthy information on the mod's usage because all testers constantly saved and reloaded the game, which certainly affect the 'cleanness' of the experiment..
yes, Volodya, good remark.

Another factor that I have just realized could hamper the exactness of the reports, is that Bothersome is giving me the coordinates as reported by the Navigation Officer. IIRC, the only way he could report them, is by estimating them through dead reckoning or, at best, through celestial fix.
The involved error, nullifies my effort to locate the exact pixel that the report is relative to.

For our purposes, the only way to determine lat/long would be by disabling real nav, and by calculating manually sub coordinates based on how far the circle denoting sub position is from the closest parellel and meridian
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-13, 12:20 PM   #152
7Infanterie19
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Thank you too for using it. Hope you are enjoying
I am!

Quote:
Stoianm EnvWeather is already included in Dynamic Environment base mod, you don't need it; moreover, due to the changes I have made to the weather zones, that old mod is not compatible with DynEnv. I warmly recommend you to disable it.

If you think you are experiencing too many foggy days, I need for dates, locations, regular weather reports, etc similar to what I have asked for rain
After adding that old mod and getting a good reload, my weather has been dynamic again. I have disabled the mod as per your suggestion and am still getting dynamic weather changes, so things seem back to normal. If it happens again, I'll let you know.

Here are some rain (sleet) dates if you still need them:

Date Time Location Location Clouds Precipitations Fog Wind

6 18 1940 - 19 20 - 1E / 59N - Overcast - Heavy - Heavy - 15
6 27 1940 - 06 00 - 17W / 52.40N - Overcast- Medium - Medium -15
7 22 1940 - 10 00 - 9.30W / 47.50N - Overcast - Heavy - Light - 7

I'm getting the sleet effect even in the middle of summer.

I can't tell you how long these rains last because of TC travel.
Old 03-14-13, 12:29 PM   #153
7Infanterie19
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I noticed something the other day. My daytime clouds seem washed out or lacking detail. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's like they're not puffy and look very white without texture. At night, clouds look better .

I also use sobers lights cfg, but am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I think I disabled that mod at one point during testing, but there wasn't any difference.

I was looking at some pics in other threads, like OHII first page, AIL's clouds, etc., and see how the clouds have some body to them, like I remembered having before.

I tested with AIL's clouds (these are the shots), and it's the same. In the day shots, you can see the small clouds that are higher up look to have more detail and have a somewhat puffy look to them.

Could it be something to do with lighting?

What do your clouds look like?

Old 03-14-13, 01:49 PM   #154
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Infanterie19 View Post
I am!

Quote:
After adding that old mod and getting a good reload, my weather has been dynamic again. I have disabled the mod as per your suggestion and am still getting dynamic weather changes, so things seem back to normal. If it happens again, I'll let you know.
how dynamic is the weather can depend on many factors, including your location, current season, but it can be also affected by random factors. I am absolutely sure that in your case that mod cannot be related with the improvements you had noticed

Quote:
Here are some rain (sleet) dates if you still need them:

Date Time Location Location Clouds Precipitations Fog Wind

6 18 1940 - 19 20 - 1E / 59N - Overcast - Heavy - Heavy - 15
6 27 1940 - 06 00 - 17W / 52.40N - Overcast- Medium - Medium -15
7 22 1940 - 10 00 - 9.30W / 47.50N - Overcast - Heavy - Light - 7
Okay, I will process them as soon as possible, thanks!

By the way: how did you get the reported coordinates? It is always better reading them directly from map (if not using real navigation, indeed)

Quote:
I'm getting the sleet effect even in the middle of summer.
yes, unfortunately, having different precipitation settings for different season is not possible. Once you enable the Sleet for Winter Campaigns submods, you give up rain for sleet, no matter if yu are playing a "summer campaign". Nonetheless, you can disable/reenable it at any moment

Quote:
I noticed something the other day. My daytime clouds seem washed out or lacking detail. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's like they're not puffy and look very white without texture. At night, clouds look better .

Could it be something to do with lighting?
Yes, it seems a brightness/contrast issue. Which environmental mods/submods are you using, besides DynEnv base mod?
Old 03-15-13, 09:46 AM   #155
7Infanterie19
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
... I am absolutely sure that in your case that mod cannot be related with the improvements you had noticed
lol .. whatever it was .. getting out of it after all that in-game fog time was a blessing.

Quote:
By the way: how did you get the reported coordinates? It is always better reading them directly from map (if not using real navigation, indeed)
I try to estimate coordinates using my location on the zoomed map. I'm certain it's not bang on to the pixel, but close enough (I hope .. hehehe). If you know a better way to figure out, please let me know.

Quote:
Once you enable the Sleet for Winter Campaigns submods, you give up rain for sleet, no matter if yu are playing a "summer campaign". Nonetheless, you can disable/reenable it at any moment
Ok .. I have to confess, gap ... I like the look of that heavy sleet even during summer months, so I'll keep it enabled.

Quote:
Yes, it seems a brightness/contrast issue. Which environmental mods/submods are you using, besides DynEnv base mod?
After the base mod, I'm using:

Camera Filters - Realistic Colors
Ambient Settings - Darker Nights-No Murky Waters
Sleet for Winter Campaigns
Seafloor (high resolution)
Sounds

Other mods (not sure if they are enviro, but will post anyways). All these except the first two are loaded after DynEnv:
Ail Real Size Moon
Shadow Improvement Mod
SteelVikings Sky Banding Mod
sobers base sky mechanics
sobers DOF
sobers Lights Cfg
sobers best ever fog (22)
sobers waves mod (11)
Stoianm Pitch&Roll

Please let me know if you need more information.

Cheers!
Old 03-15-13, 09:48 AM   #156
7Infanterie19
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Here's a problem I experience mostly with night scenes and I think only when there's fog. This shot was taken during medium fog (which as we know doesn't overlay at night).

Unfortunately, the screenshot is nowhere as clear and obvious as in-game. I raised brightness and contrast in the edited pics or we'd see nothing at all. Sorry about that.

In the first one, you can see the effect heavily in the upper left and lower left of the screen. For the second one, it has a ring effect which I've seen in daylight as well.

I also get an effect sometimes when using the outside camera view, where depending on the relation to the sun, there's a kaleidoscope effect or different bright prism-like colors, which I never had before. If you need a shot of that, please let me know.

I hope that helps.

Old 03-15-13, 02:04 PM   #157
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
lol .. whatever it was .. getting out of it after all that in-game fog time was a blessing.
I can imagine

Quote:
I try to estimate coordinates using my location on the zoomed map. I'm certain it's not bang on to the pixel, but close enough (I hope .. hehehe). If you know a better way to figure out, please let me know.
You can report the parallel/meridian closest to your current position, and how many meters you are far from them (in a straight line, indeed); or you can make yourself the calculation, if you prefer: in SH5 world, meridian/parallels are 120 km far apart, no matter how close you are to equator, therefore 2,000 m equals 1'

Quote:
Ok .. I have to confess, gap ... I like the look of that heavy sleet even during summer months, so I'll keep it enabled.
stoianm will be glad to know that you like that mutch the sleet submod: it actually was his invention

Quote:

Try removing all of the non-DynEnv environmental mods, and see if it solves your problem. If yes, reenable them one by one in order to discover which one is causing the issue. My suspects are either on sobers DOF or sobers Lights Cfg, or possibly their association. Sober's tweaks require the maximum from our GFX cards, and in some systems might cause ndesired effects.
Another way to address your problem could be by adjusting a bit game's gamma (in game gfx settings) and/or reducing the contrast of your screen.

Quote:
Here's a problem I experience mostly with night scenes and I think only when there's fog. This shot was taken during medium fog (which as we know doesn't overlay at night).
I can be wrong, but what you are seeing is the halo visible in the corner of the sky opposite to the sun. This also happens in real world, though perceiving this effect at night and close to artificial light sources can be difficult. I need to look at game sky color settings before confirming it, but I seem to remember the the game is simulating it
Old 03-16-13, 07:36 AM   #158
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618
Uploads: 0

Quote:

Camera Filters - Realistic Colors
Ambient Settings - Darker Nights-No Murky Waters
Sleet for Winter Campaigns
Seafloor (high resolution)
Sounds

Other mods (not sure if they are enviro, but will post anyways). All these except the first two are loaded after DynEnv:
Ail Real Size Moon
Shadow Improvement Mod
sobers DOF
sobers Lights Cfg
sobers best ever fog (22)
sobers waves mod (11)
Stoianm Pitch&Roll

Please let me know if you need more information.

Cheers!

I'd try to disable these ones;

Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-13, 10:39 AM   #159
7Infanterie19
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
You can report the parallel/meridian closest to your current position, and how many meters you are far from them (in a straight line, indeed); or you can make yourself the calculation, if you prefer: in SH5 world, meridian/parallels are 120 km far apart, no matter how close you are to equator, therefore 2,000 m equals 1'
The math was right there under my nose .. lol .. thanks gap!

Quote:
stoianm will be glad to know that you like that mutch the sleet submod: it actually was his invention
I'm glad! He deserves it!

Quote:
Try removing all of the non-DynEnv environmental mods, and see if it solves your problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post

I removed all of them and reactivated each one by one.

From what I'm guessing, this problem seems to happen depending on what the weather is, what the time of night it is, where I am, whether or not there is any moon, and whether there is fog, etc. As such, it was a bit of a task recreating the same conditions, and so, it's hard to tell which mods are at play in this problem. With no moon or fog, I don't seem to see the problem at all.

With and without the other mods activated, I had no problems at times, because of what I said above, so it was difficult to recreate. The first time I deactivated the other mods, I had this thing where on the upper left and upper right corners, it was curved black like looking through the binoculars. This would follow the scene as I moved the view. I never saw that before, and I haven't been able to recreate that again. I've attached a couple of pictures to show the "gradient" effect (which is similar to the map showing different depths) with and without those other mods. In these shots, I stood on deck and after a while, as the clouds moved on, changed size and shape, etc., they would become normal. I could see the clouds eventually change from this "gradient" effect to being rendered properly bit by bit (and back once in a while, IIRC). The upper picture is shot directly into the clouds, with all mods activated. Lower is with the other listed mods deactivated. Fog is light. No precipitations. In the lower one, the effect is in the darker portion of the clouds to the left of the lightning.

Quote:
Another way to address your problem could be by adjusting a bit game's gamma (in game gfx settings) and/or reducing the contrast of your screen.
I could do this, but then it would only mask things, I think.

After I dock again, I'm going to reload the old version of DynEnv to test that out, just to make sure I didn't have that problem before, although I don't remember having seen it to be honest.
Old 03-16-13, 03:44 PM   #160
Sartoris
Captain

Downloads: 106

I experienced the weird shapes in the sky with the previous version of DynEnv. Very annoying stuff, just like the eternal fog. The fog basically makes the mod impossible to apply to the game, because the weather is always the same.
Sartoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-13, 10:58 AM   #161
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I removed all of them and reactivated each one by one.

From what I'm guessing, this problem seems to happen depending on what the weather is, what the time of night it is, where I am, whether or not there is any moon, and whether there is fog, etc. As such, it was a bit of a task recreating the same conditions, and so, it's hard to tell which mods are at play in this problem. With no moon or fog, I don't seem to see the problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post

What are you talking about guys? Poor clouds or vignetting effect at night? Let's face a problem at a time

@ 7Infanterie19

it is diffiucult to diagnose anything from your last screenshots... Can you post bigger one the next time? In addition, regarding the clouds issue, what are your gfx settings? Have you enabled 3d clouds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartoris View Post
I experienced the weird shapes in the sky with the previous version of DynEnv. Very annoying stuff, just like the eternal fog. The fog basically makes the mod impossible to apply to the game, because the weather is always the same.
Judging from Bothersome's reports, he had all but static weather
Old 03-17-13, 11:34 AM   #162
keysersoze
Ensign

Downloads: 344

gap,

Maybe the best way for you to get consistent weather data would be for us to use TDW's patrol log editor to record our position and weather reports. Because I'm crazy about immersion I always transfer the notepad files from the patrol log editor into a custom Kriegstagebuch that I made. It would be easy to send you the patrol report. That way, you would have daily coordinates and weather reports for an entire patrol. I could also add a note for each time I save and load, so that you could determine the effective of loading on weather patterns.

Would this be useful?
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-13, 11:54 AM   #163
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
gap,

Maybe the best way for you to get consistent weather data would be for us to use TDW's patrol log editor to record our position and weather reports. Because I'm crazy about immersion I always transfer the notepad files from the patrol log editor into a custom Kriegstagebuch that I made. It would be easy to send you the patrol report. That way, you would have daily coordinates and weather reports for an entire patrol. I could also add a note for each time I save and load, so that you could determine the effective of loading on weather patterns.

Would this be useful?
yes indeed it would, as far as the weather reported is correct (often, just after reloading a saved game, NO's reports are wrong), and position reports are accurate to ±10' (±20 km), i.e. half the size of a pixel in the ClimateZones.tga map.

Unfortunately, the accuracy required excludes reports from players using Real Navigation
Old 03-17-13, 12:19 PM   #164
keysersoze
Ensign

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Unfortunately, the accuracy required excludes reports from players using Real Navigation
That's unfortunate, as I always play with Real Navigation. Are the Real Nav reports too inaccurate even when the navigator does a celestial fix?
keysersoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-13, 12:45 PM   #165
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysersoze View Post
That's unfortunate, as I always play with Real Navigation. Are the Real Nav reports too inaccurate even when the navigator does a celestial fix?
IIRC, the maximum error involved by dead reckoning and celestial fixes can be set through TDW's option editor. If they were set to lesser of the values I have posted before, for our purposes the error margin would be acceptable

Tags
climate, dynamic environment, environment, environmental mod, fog, weather