SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-10, 02:28 PM   #106
The General
The Old Man

Downloads: 179
Uploads: 3
Default Doing your Bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
a week long ban isnt the end of the world even thou i admit it is a PITA as it is intended to be.
I got banged-away for all time! 30 days and I didn't even do anything illegal! I was being a Jackass, but atleast it was entertaining Tomfoolery A week is a slap on the wrist, a mild disturbance by comparison

The CRIME:

Entertainment provided by yours-truly during the build-up to realease of SH5:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=161181

What's funny is; no one voted for the 3rd option, which happened to be the truth!

Last edited by The General; 03-29-10 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 02:58 PM   #107
Chromius
Sailor man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Yes, I vote for letting him out of the Brig also.

So how do I pull my cloud textures out of REX and use them in SH5, Tutorial please.

It would be nice if we REX users had a cloud switcher utility.

I can post screenshots of my receipts.

I used to take pics of my outside clouds just to match up the clouds that day for whatever flight in FSX (local ga) using REX with ASA. I am so bad now, I doubt I could fly FSX w/o the live weather.

edit: If only sims started adding plug in support for something like ASA, like Bob/Sow. It would always be worth the extra money to pay for plug-in live weather, or historical weather.

Last edited by Chromius; 03-29-10 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 03:10 PM   #108
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubV View Post
@Webster

Please, remove ban from Ailantd. He's a really talented man, without modders like him the SH5 is doomed.

Besides that, he already removed any copyrighted stuff from his mods.
yapp

yapp, i agree...please get him out of the brigg...

Old 03-29-10, 03:13 PM   #109
Flopper
Weps

Downloads: 107

I didn't know a cloud texture could be copyrighted. Sounds dumb. How bout the hue on that blue sky... did they get that too?

Old 03-29-10, 04:30 PM   #110
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flopper View Post
I didn't know a cloud texture could be copyrighted. Sounds dumb. How bout the hue on that blue sky... did they get that too?
I suppose a developer sat at his computer for several weeks putting those textures together, which are unlike any other cloud textures in existence (note, they probably bought them from a third party in the first place), hence it is vital that they are not released unless large sums of money change hands.

Anyway, I think the point has been proven. Now, can we have him back please? He has more mods to make!
Old 03-29-10, 04:56 PM   #111
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
I suppose a developer sat at his computer for several weeks putting those textures together, which are unlike any other cloud textures in existence (note, they probably bought them from a third party in the first place), hence it is vital that they are not released unless large sums of money change hands.

Anyway, I think the point has been proven. Now, can we have him back please? He has more mods to make!
Bring him back this serves no one.
Old 03-29-10, 05:26 PM   #112
ironkross
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

Quote:
the images that were pirated are no longer being used and i have put his website link back into his first post for him.
Thanks for putting the link back up. I think this is a fair decision in that everyone still has access to Ail mods w/o the copyrighted material, and Ailantd gets his account back in 4-5 days.
BTW the new Ail clouds look great.
Old 03-29-10, 05:33 PM   #113
Westbroek
Lieutenant

Downloads: 121

I don't see any reason for this to be a divisive issue. What it comes down to is that copyright law (at least in the US, I'm not familiar with international laws) is a serious issue that's compounded by a lot of difficult to understand prohibitions/exceptions.
In this instance, particularly with the rights holder making a direct request, it was in subsim's best interest to play it safe and make it clear to all its members that copyright infringement is an area they will not even begin to consider pushing the limits of.
I love Ail's mods, am using several of them (not the old clouds anymore), and look forward to seeing him continue to push the limits of what SH5 can do. He'll be back soon and hopefully he'll know that we all still love him and his work.
A small slap on the wrist for a modder is far better than risking lawsuits all around.
Old 03-29-10, 05:51 PM   #114
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbroek View Post
A small slap on the wrist for a modder is far better than risking lawsuits all around.
Who are they going to sue? You? Me? Neal? Everyone else in this thread? Ha! I'd like to see them try! *Grabs popcorn, and awaits their impending humiliation*
Old 03-29-10, 06:12 PM   #115
Westbroek
Lieutenant

Downloads: 121

Right, like I said, I'm not familiar with international practices, but here in America, everybody sue f-ing everybody. It's the school of Tom Cruise over here so it's open season for the litigious types and it's always better safe than sorry.
Old 03-29-10, 07:01 PM   #116
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
Who are they going to sue? You? Me? Neal? Everyone else in this thread? Ha! I'd like to see them try! *Grabs popcorn, and awaits their impending humiliation*
After being duely notified by REX's copyright holders that copyrighted material was being distributed through SUBSIM and demanded we make all reasonable efforts to see that this practice be stopped, then yes neal is a party to any further distribution of it after having been duely notified and yes he is on the hook for the consequences of failure to act.

whats fair or whats right or wrong has nothing to do with the law and legal liabilities.

they will take action against neal and this site as well as Ail and his website if the matter isnt resolved otherwise.

anyway i wont comment on this any longer since common sense tells you further discussion of the legalities is pointless.

BTW Ail's ban has been lifted

Old 03-29-10, 09:30 PM   #117
ironkross
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

Quote:
After being duely notified by REX's copyright holders that copyrighted material was being distributed through SUBSIM and demanded we make all reasonable efforts to see that this practice be stopped, then yes neal is a party to any further distribution of it after having been duely notified and yes he is on the hook for the consequences of failure to act.

whats fair or whats right or wrong has nothing to do with the law and legal liabilities.

they will take action against neal and this site as well as Ail and his website if the matter isnt resolved otherwise.

anyway i wont comment on this any longer since common sense tells you further discussion of the legalities is pointless.

BTW Ail's ban has been lifted
Yay!
Good call, really, no harm no foul!
Old 03-30-10, 09:47 AM   #118
Ailantd
Bosun

Downloads: 10

Hello everyone.

In first place I apologize to all those who have feel aggrieved by the use of protected material in earlier versions of Ailclouds.

As someone stated before while I was banned I had released a new enhanced Ailcloud version, that also removed all copyrighted material in it. I encourage all you to update to that version. It can be downloaded from http://shmods.ailantd.com/index.php?section=AilClouds

About what happen let me clarify some points about the reasons for using that copy material:

1. In my country is not a crime to use copyrighted material for personal use if there is no profit.

2. I think the world of mods is a lot more closer to personal use than comercial use.

3. Rex is composed of hundreds of high resolution textures, from sky and sea plus a engine to manage all them compatible with FSX. I used 4 textures taken from the configuration html documents (less than 30% of Ailcloud 2.0), which were not even the high resolution textures used in Rex engine. Maby as stated in Ailcloud 2.0 txt file someone could think that I was using too much form rex or even whole rex, my mistake.

4. I advised the use of Rex in the txt as I don' t want credit that is not mine.

5. I can´t see how the use of these 4 textures can in anyway undermine Rex sales as using Ailclouds in FSX has no sense at all. Never I would distributed these material if it really could harm Rex in anyway. Rex is a fantastic environmet addon for FSX and deserve all my respect.

6. I alwais stated in any case I had planed to remov that textures as soon as I could as I prefeer not use others material when possible, copyrighted or not.

7. All people here are using copyright material one way or another everyday, from sounds mods, poster mods, radio mods... even all SH5 files are uby copyrighted material. All we are walking on the edge of the legality of some countries here.

8. Anyway I understand that even that 4 low resolution textures from REX are previosly hard worked by someone and if the owner ask not to use them, I have no problem with that. I removed them as soon as they ask for it (as I had planed anyway) and even can understant the temporal ban in the forum.

In end place I apologize again to all those who have feel aggrieved by the use of protected material in earlier versions of Ailclouds.

I would prefer that this thread do not continue to disscuss about this matter. Everyone have a different opinion about it and even every country has a different law about it. To discuss this has no point at all as previoulsy stated by Webster.
Old 03-30-10, 11:49 AM   #119
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

at Ail's request this thread has been closed to put this copyright issue to rest.

when he makes his new mods thread please do not comment or bring up the subject of the copyright issue in that new thread.

Closed Thread