SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-10, 01:58 PM   #91
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailantd View Post
Yes, I know. I usually don´t do that, but I have no so many good cloud shapes from myself to do entire mod, so I used 4 from REX until I can go outside to take some good photographs. This way at least SH clouds are not so ugly like vanilla. Next release will have none borrow textures. Also I´m working with clouds.dat and very interesting things can be done so new release would not change only texture files.

Regards
due to the fact that he freely admits copyrighted material was used in his mods, all of the links to them were removed until such time as he can rerelease the mods without this pirated content in them.

sorry for any trouble this causes you.

Old 03-27-10, 10:08 AM   #92
astradeus
A-ganger

Downloads: 281
Uploads: 0

a decision somewhat radical since only textures rex clouds have been use.the rest of the mod (the best mod graphic moment) are works that are personal property. Ailantd was honest in giving his sources. Like what honesty does not always pay..

Last edited by astradeus; 03-27-10 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-27-10, 11:44 AM   #93
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astradeus View Post
a decision somewhat radical since only textures rex clouds have been use.the rest of the mod (the best mod graphic moment) are works that are personal property. Ailantd was honest in giving his sources. Like what honesty does not always pay..
we have said over and over here at subsim we do not care what you do in your own home but do not talk about it. here he admitted it and made subsim an unwilling partner in copyright infringement.

what is so radical about banning someone who admitted to promoting stolen/pirated stuff that the copyright holder (REX) has contacted subsim and demanded it to be removed from our site?

radical would have been if he were to have had his account deleted, a week long ban isnt the end of the world even thou i admit it is a PITA as it is intended to be.

his mod links were in fact distributing pirated copyrighted content that the owner of said content does not want distributed by anyone other then those licensed to do so.

Old 03-28-10, 04:04 PM   #94
ironkross
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

While in the brig, Ailantd has uploaded newer versions on his website (copyrighted material removed.) If anyone needs the link would it be ok to post now?
Old 03-28-10, 05:19 PM   #95
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

i dont understand the problem here...the material he took was not used for any commercial purpose from him. normally this is no problem. only if the material is used for commercial things you are in trouble.

Old 03-28-10, 06:01 PM   #96
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Why don't guys ripping sounds from movies and putting them into sound mods get banned too? Last I checked movies are copyrighted.
Old 03-28-10, 06:06 PM   #97
ironkross
Lieutenant

Downloads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster View Post
his mod links were in fact distributing pirated copyrighted content that the owner of said content does not want distributed by anyone other then those licensed to do so.
It boils down to this; though I agree I don't see any real harm- intended or done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailantd from website
AilClouds 3.0 for Silent Hunter V
By Ailantd, updated 26/3/2010
Update 3.0: Removed remaining textures not made by me from prior version. All made from scrath now.
Increase textures number from 10 to 15, the maximum alowed.
Removed cloud shapes that could be repetitive sometimes, when possible.

New cloud textures.
-Improved clouds textures.

JSGME ready.
[edit] forgot link http://www.SHMods.ailantd.com
Old 03-29-10, 02:06 AM   #98
Ark
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by urfisch View Post
i dont understand the problem here...the material he took was not used for any commercial purpose from him. normally this is no problem. only if the material is used for commercial things you are in trouble.

It's not "ok" to distribute something for free that somebody else is charging for. The clouds were from REX, which is a payware add-on for FS9/FSX. It'd be the same thing as somebody buying soemthing and then putting the files up on a DL site.

The people here who do not understand the problem with this boggle my mind. lol
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 285 SSC
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer 23" H233H
Old 03-29-10, 06:55 AM   #99
urfisch
Sea Lord

Downloads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark View Post
It's not "ok" to distribute something for free that somebody else is charging for. The clouds were from REX, which is a payware add-on for FS9/FSX. It'd be the same thing as somebody buying soemthing and then putting the files up on a DL site.

The people here who do not understand the problem with this boggle my mind. lol

problem is your comparison. it does not fit the overall problem of illegally distributed material. if you distribute material for free, which is a market product used from many people, so normally needs to be payed for...its a problem. cause you do harm to the original manufacturer, who can not sell as much any more - cause many people got this "product" already for free.

BUT

this only affects the normal market!!! modding is not a "market", right? so, if you use material for a hobby purpose, you do not harm anyone - quite the contrary if a community gets a benefit. this REX is very special, its not a thing like a movie, etc. - distributing a movie just for hobby purpose...fits your comparison. cause it harms the company, which benefit depends on the sale of the movies. movies are not a mod - and a mod is not a movie!!!

so please, do not mix things up and stop buggling your head, dude.

Old 03-29-10, 07:18 AM   #100
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
Why don't guys ripping sounds from movies and putting them into sound mods get banned too? Last I checked movies are copyrighted.
By the logic used to ban Ailantd, they should.
Old 03-29-10, 12:21 PM   #101
Ark
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 95

Quote:

problem is your comparison. it does not fit the overall problem of illegally distributed material. if you distribute material for free, which is a market product used from many people, so normally needs to be payed for...its a problem. cause you do harm to the original manufacturer, who can not sell as much any more - cause many people got this "product" already for free.

BUT

this only affects the normal market!!! modding is not a "market", right? so, if you use material for a hobby purpose, you do not harm anyone - quite the contrary if a community gets a benefit. this REX is very special, its not a thing like a movie, etc. - distributing a movie just for hobby purpose...fits your comparison. cause it harms the company, which benefit depends on the sale of the movies. movies are not a mod - and a mod is not a movie!!!

so please, do not mix things up and stop buggling your head, dude.
Are you serious? You honestly don't see an issue with taking software that somebody else is selling and giving it away for free? Wow. How you are able to not get it, also boggles my mind. lol My example works perfectly, you just do not understand it. In fact, it is EXACTLY what happened. Ailantd was giving away parts of a payware product for free. He was illegally distributing copyrighted material. The fact that he owned up to it, while commendable, does not change the facts.

Everything you said above has no bearing on this conversation. You are not allowed to illegally distribute somebody else's work. Period. Your comment:

Quote:
this only affects the normal market!!! modding is not a "market", right? so, if you use material for a hobby purpose, you do not harm anyone - quite the contrary if a community gets a benefit.
...is completely nonsensical.

I will break it down:

Person A buys software. (legal)
Person A gives software away for free. (Illegal)
Person B downloads software without paying. (Illegal)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement
Quote:
Copyright Infringement:
Copyright infringement (or copyright violation) is the unauthorized or prohibited use of works covered by copyright law, in a way that violates one of the copyright owner's exclusive rights, such as the right to reproduce or perform the copyrighted work, or to make derivative works.
http://www.spa.org/index.php?option=...les&Itemid=344
Quote:
Software Piracy:
The illegal copying, distribution or use of software.
http://infosat.tamu.edu/students/glossary.htm
Quote:
Software Piracy:
the unauthorized use, reproduction, distribution, or transmission of copyrighted material.
You may want to start actually reading that little paragraph called the EULA when you are installing software.
Asus P6T Deluxe mobo
Core i7 920 @ 3.8ghz
6GB G.Skill DDR3 1600
Evga GTX 285 SSC
SB X-FI Fatality
640GB WD "Black"
Dell 3007WFP-HC 30" LCD / Acer 23" H233H

Last edited by Ark; 03-29-10 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 12:30 PM   #102
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

the images that were pirated are no longer being used and i have put his website link back into his first post for him.

Last edited by Webster; 03-29-10 at 12:59 PM.

Old 03-29-10, 12:44 PM   #103
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:

- use of copyrighted material in mods

its normally its not an issue and companies usually dont object as long as you dont profit from it because big companies arent looking to pick on individuals. its just not worth it to them because they cant recover the cost of litigation with some poor individual that doesnt have any money.

in this case REX, the company who owns the copyright feels it needed to protect its product from being freely distributed and so they did object and asked for its removal so we did.

why would you pay REX to use there stuff if you can download Ail's mod and get it for free

Last edited by Webster; 03-29-10 at 01:01 PM.

Old 03-29-10, 02:07 PM   #104
SubV
Planesman

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 4

@Webster

Please, remove ban from Ailantd. He's a really talented man, without modders like him the SH5 is doomed.

Besides that, he already removed any copyrighted stuff from his mods.
Old 03-29-10, 02:09 PM   #105
Nordmann
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubV View Post
@Webster

Please, remove ban from Ailantd. He's a really talented man, without modders like him the SH5 is doomed.

Besides that, he already removed any copyrighted stuff from his mods.
Indeed, we don't want to put the chap off. He's done some damned fine work in the past, and we want that to continue.