SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-19, 10:14 AM   #826
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I love trailers, but I hate tractors. Trailers hold their value, trailers have no EPA mandated crap installed on them, trailers don't require $13,000 repairs because of their emissions crap, trailers don't have warranties that slippery companies can get around. I hate tractors.
Old 07-15-19, 12:22 PM   #827
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Well, this is disturbing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/least-2-5...152550919.html
Old 07-15-19, 04:40 PM   #828
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

The comments say it all
Old 07-16-19, 12:45 AM   #829
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel Neal View Post
The comments say it all

Ah, yahoo trying to make the economy look not so good because "orange man bad", just like almost every article on every subject they publish. "Not" a canary in the coal mine.
Old 05-28-20, 02:09 PM   #830
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Anybody know where you might buy a used wind blade trailer besides truckpaper.com?

Old 05-28-20, 02:36 PM   #831
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

When I saw the movie Convoy on German tv for the first time in the 80's I think it was.

I was thinking..wow being a trucker and drive from west coast to east coast must be a wonderful job.

Since this is impossible I have done what is second best...I'm driving an American truck in American Truck Simulator.

Markus
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-20, 02:48 PM   #832
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Breaker Breaker! Ya got yer 'ears' on? Over!

Well for that 'immersive effect' sit in a vibrating lazy-boy chair that rocks and stick on the stereo-for 350 days... and report back 5/13/2021!
Quote:
CONGRATS ONKEL! My 1977 Midwestern Freightliner with Cummins 290 fuel-squeezer/12 speed Roadranger(photo below); No power steering, no cruise control, no trailer brake(foot valve only) no jake brake and AC sure to die at Gila, Arizona in 120 degree weather! My sheepskin cover air-ride seat was state of the art and I actually had a Whistler radar detector and a CB 'radidio'! Our pumps were governed, sealed units so we used to pull out of Ft Scott, Kansas and pop our own stingered units on-a termination offence. But it was fun: ran everything from copper out of Amarillo, onions out of Marfa, sugar out of Houma, LA, tuna fish, new tires and all US paper products to all 48 states for three years: avg 350 logged days a year and was the company salvage driver...as necessary. Midwestern was so bad safetywise, it had to have its own insurance company! @ Wolfertz: Donner Pass! your forgetting Raton, Cajon, Tejon, Rabbitears and Parley's! All controlled looong descents. @Neal: learn to adjust your own brakes in sequence (trust not the mechanic) and always play randomly with the instrument switches while minding the gauges; if one switch burns your finger tips...you've got a big problem! A metal Jake switch did that to me(dead-short) in DEC/78(cold BBY) on I-80; I had just enough time to pull over, disconnect all Batts and jack up/over the cab to find the melted wire in the main wiring yoke leading to the solenoid cylinder interrupters on the brake compressor-Luckily, I had suitable spare wire for a fast-fix to get me 100 miles into Cheyenne, Wyoming. This is a common cause of so-called random mystery tractor fires. Wear your ear protection always so you don't get tinnitus like I did (50% hearing loss). Especially with those whining Detroits!! Do not pull into little bars in the winter time in Minn.(Moosebar?)...even for a Hamm's or to use the phone even with autos/pickups parked alluringly out front...those could be Ice-fishing bars hauled onto one of the 10,000 ice-covered lakes...one of our guys did and ended up swimming!. The truck and paper loaded trailer were completely under water. ie; a totally immersive effect BBY < strongly resembles my baby# 8485 & home on the road. My favorite route: NATCH'>

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 05-28-20 at 03:08 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 09:18 AM   #833
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Aktungbby, let me tell you about the job I had today....

https://uk.style.yahoo.com/well-that...172500230.html

Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 11:13 AM   #834
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

My mentor, neighbor and golf companion, a former third officer on cargo ships in WWII, was the head of General Electric Nuclear division worldwide in the 70's when I was trukkin'. His nine year project was to build the Cofrentes, Spain power plant. Because I spoke Spanish and drove; he almost drafted me for duty! http://www.cncofrentes.es/wcofrnts/gc/prod/en_US/prensa/docs/monografico-CNC-eng.pdf Hauling the cooling towers and nuclear core over the rugged mountains was amazing The stunning picture he had on the wall of his modest office in San Jose was an entire cooling tower on amazing array of flatbeds going up the pass! The facility, and nine other plants, will be closed by 2014 as Spain goes 'clean'. I sensibly stuck to delivering tomato paste into lower Manhattan pizza chains...and all 48 states.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-09-20 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-09-20, 12:23 PM   #835
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

See that big hole with a cover on the starboard side?

I think that's a TDU trash disposal unit

or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-20, 12:36 PM   #836
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Default Trukkimup 101

BOTTOM LINE: someone (the driver??!!) has gotta 'thump' all those tyres generally every four hours or so to check inflation against possible tyre fyre and that's hard on carpal tunnel syndrome in your shifting hand... I had enough trouble just doing 18.... on an eighteen wheeler. So simple yet essential:

Old 07-09-20, 12:48 PM   #837
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

I hope this doesn't catch on, I do not want to get "another" loan in order to buy one of those trailers.
Old 07-09-20, 03:15 PM   #838
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

You don't buy trailers, you lease from McKinney Trailer!

Old 07-10-20, 12:12 AM   #839
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
You don't buy trailers, you lease from McKinney Trailer!
Yeah, I'm not sure which way is better. The thought was that trailers hold their value, but apparently that is dependent on how the particular industry is doing that uses those types of trailers. Hopefully somebody doesn't go woke on windmills because they're all painted "white".
Old 07-10-20, 02:27 AM   #840
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

John McKinney was my employer for my last year of truckkin. He was a kind and generous employer. I had reduced down to instate(CA)driving by '80 to alleviate the concerns of my family who worried about my long haulin' safetywise; and was newly married. Mr. McKinny was running a local distribution(Centennial Freight)for Kimberly Clark; ie: all the Huggies and Kotex in the SF bay area... delivered on on my truck! I recall one of his conversations with me involved an idea to start a truck-trailer leasing business. As soon as my wife passed the lawyer state Bar exam I quit truckin' permanently to become a Real Estate appraiser for 14 years! Imagine my shock when I saw a
McKinney trailer featured on an episode of Rockford Files... I see them on the road all the time to this day. The man is never far from my thoughts....especially on the highway!

Last edited by Aktungbby; 07-10-20 at 01:17 PM. Reason: altering legibility ie purple prose

Tags
driver, truck, trucker, truckers, trucks