SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-21, 05:06 PM   #1
Von Due
Sea Lord

Downloads: 30
Uploads: 0
Default All things Elite Dangerous

So... ED was on sale and I got it. Not entirely out of the blue, mind you. I played Frontier and First Encounters for years in the 90's/00's (and had a short lived go at Elite in the 80's) and after learning about player groups like the Fuel Rats, I finally gave in and bought the game.

Currently I play solo exclusively as I learned there are player groups online who dedicate their time to eradicating new players. That is not what ED is to me.

Luckily, apart from solo mode, there is also the option of setting up private sessions by invite but me being this new to the game I haven't looked too much into this as I am still trying to unlearn what Frontier and First Encounter taught me, and with real life demanding its share of my time, well, learning comes slowly.

That being said: Even in solo mode, ED looks like Frontier having studied the X games in many respects. Multiple ships to fly, all sorts of gear to install and swap around. The graphics are stunning and with around 400 billion star systems to explore, I don't think we'll see the game being "won", ever, if exploring everything is winning.

Curently I am taking a well deserved break, and repairs, after an encounter with 4-6 Thargoids (real nasties if you never played the Elite games). Me out to learn absolutely had to investigate a radio signal that was marked as "nonhuman". They almost got me, had my well armoured hull down to 32%, my hyperjump engine (my escape) damaged and worked roughly 40% of the times I attepted to make a jump. My ship was slightly faster than theirs but either they made jumps to gain on me or they have boost tech that put anything I know of to shame. They hunted me well and truly until I was lucky: The jumpdrive kicked in, FINALLY, and I made a hasty retreat to the nearest station for repairs and a stiff drink.

Anyone here playing ED and if so, anyone interested in a private session without the juvenile pests around who want to ruin it for everyone?

Finally, if you have played it, or are still playing it, any stories, tips, ideas to share?

Last edited by Von Due; 01-05-21 at 05:20 PM.
Von Due is offline   Reply With Quote