Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-20-19, 03:32 PM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Default Any snake expert here?

I recently saw a documentary where it was said the common european adder/viper (German: Kreuzotter) has a venom 2-3 times as toxic as that of diamond rattlesnakes, and that bites by these vipers are usually being survived and are less dangerous than that of a rattlesnake only becasue the european viper has a signficantly smaller ammount of poison it could inject, than a rattlesnake has and would inject in serious biting (they can vary the ammount of venom injected, even bite with their poison fangs without spending any venom at all if they do not want to, the production takes much time and sometimes the snake just wants to intimidate an enemy, so it spends only some of its precious venom. The full dose gets injected mostly when they indeed are after prey to eat, or fight for their life).

I checked this in the internet and yes, on some German pages and in German Wikipedia they also said the same: the European viper has the far more potent venom, but only carries a much smaller ammount of it and thus injects far less venom compared to a diamond rattlesnake.

However, when I read on some English sites and on English Wikipedia, they write exactly the opposite: that the European viper's venom is significantly less potent than that of a rattlesnake, and that it takes huge ammounts of that venom (of the European addeer) to kill animals of this and that kind, or a human . According to them, their venom is less potent, and is carried in smaller quantity.

Has anyone a well founded final word on this so to solve the contradiction?

Else, it is a very fascinating snake, and the most widely spread snake on the planet, with some unique characteristics. It can flatten its body to maximise the ammount of body surface it can direct at the sun to optimize warmth absorption, and it is the only snake that even lives north of the polar circle (!!! I was stunned by that!). As a young boy I once observed two of these snakes in the Bavarian wild at close range. Thats almost half a century ago, however. I stood still, and no, I got not bitten at all.

When I think "snakes", I immediately think of either European adders, or grass snake/water snake/ringed snake (are these really three names for the same snake, or three different snakes?I mean "Ringelnatter"), to me they both are kind of protoype examples of poisonous vipers and (mostly) unpoisonous colubrids. Last year I met several grass snakes, one a very long one that even crawled about my legs while I sat absolutely still. It was a very friendly snake, I thought, and in no haste.

Last edited by Skybird; 11-20-19 at 03:50 PM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 07:49 PM   #2
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Yes, that's definitely a snake sky!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 10:59 PM   #3
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

You should probably consult a herpetologist for specific information, Having grown up around rattlesnakes, I do know that the older the snake, the more potent the venom. And it is said they can control the amount of the venom they use.

As a point of interest, adult ground squirrels are immune to rattlesnake venom.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 06:45 AM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Too bad that MaDef said squirrels are immune to snake poison, else I would have asked Eichhörnchen if he could let himself bitten by both and then tell us of the difference in both experiences.
Old 11-21-19, 08:48 AM   #5
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Yes, that's definitely a snake sky!

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-19, 09:46 AM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Dealt with quite a few over the years but they were mostly the two legged variety.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-19, 03:57 PM   #7
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

yea, in that old house I was rummaging through, I lifted a mattress and there were more than a few copperheads rolled up together...needless to say I didn't look under that bed...yet

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-19, 05:48 PM   #8
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Too bad that MaDef said squirrels are immune to snake poison, else I would have asked Eichhörnchen if he could let himself bitten by both and then tell us of the difference in both experiences.
Thanks but no thanks