SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-04-11, 10:18 PM   #1
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 6

Finally got me Netbook Back!

I dropped it off where I bought it from so they could send it back to the company because it had a mess of dead pixels. That was on 3/12, got it back today (4/4); 24 days!

But it looks like ASUS put a better screen in that I had!
Joke is on them I guess!

TLAM Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 02:01 AM   #2
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0

Last year, ASUS was rated higher than Apple on customer service for laptops. This is par for them.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 11:58 AM   #3
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Last year, ASUS was rated higher than Apple on customer service for laptops. This is par for them.
The people I bought it from said service would take around 10 days.

Old 04-05-11, 12:10 PM   #4
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

It did take 10 days to service. The other days were shipping.
Old 04-05-11, 01:09 PM   #5
TLAM Strike
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVGWarhawk View Post
It did take 10 days to service. The other days were shipping.
I just wish someone would service me for 10 days...

Old 04-05-11, 04:28 PM   #6
JSLTIGER
The Old Man

Downloads: 5

ASUS' customer support can be a PITA to deal with, but they usually get the job done. As I noted about 18 months ago (can't believe it's been that long):

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSLTIGER
I've been purchasing ASUS products for a while now, my last three motherboards have been from them and then I've now purchased three laptops from them (an F3S (nicknamed "Nomad") for my middle brother, an M50vm ("Sojourner") for myself and an N51vn ("Hermes") for my youngest brother). All were purchased because they were the best price/performance machines out there. Build quality is generally fantastic, and I have no complaints with anything. I've had several problems with their support services, but they've always managed to work out in the end.

Nomad suffered a dead HDD about a year ago. I knew what the failure was immediately, so called up ASUS for an RMA. They wanted me to run through all of these tests, but when I explained the symptoms and the fact that I had diagnosed it as a busted HDD, they said no problem and sent me all of the RMA information. I pulled out an extra stick of RAM I had put in the machine to bring it up to 2GB from its default 1GB configuration and sent it on its merry way. They fixed the HDD no problem, but when I went to re-install the RAM, I discovered that they had messed with the RAM bay cover and stripped most of the screws, meaning that I was unable to install the RAM. I called them up and asked to re-RMA it to fix the now messed-up screws. I RMA'd it again, and after about a week, I got it back...only to find that they had done NOTHING. The had replaced maybe one screw. So I called them up and screamed my head off at them, and re-RMA'd the thing for a third time, asking them this time to just remove the screws and attach the RAM bay with a single screw and send the rest in a baggie. Finally, this time they did as requested, and life was good after the frustration. I unscrewed the one good screw from the bay door, popped it off, popped in the RAM and then re-screwed in everything. I will never remove excess RAM again though.

My brother is a freshman in college, so I picked out Hermes for him this summer (the rest of my family knows nothing about computers, so they generally turn to me). When we got it, I opened it up to set it up for him (you know, like installing Office and the like). I noticed immediately that one of the rubber pads was missing, leaving a Phillips-head screw exposed. All right, no biggie. Then, after careful inspection of the screen, I noticed that it had a dark (dead) pixel. I called up ASUS and told them that I wanted to RMA it. They started arguing with me about how dark pixels are not covered under their Zero Bright Dot policy and that three or more dark pixels were required to RMA the machine. I argued back that the dark pixel is the same problem as the bright pixel (instead of the transistor being stuck in the "on" position, it's stuck in the "off" position). Besides, I told them, if I "accidentally" dropped the laptop down the stairs and the screen cracked, they would repair it under their accidental damage warranty anyway. They finally relented and I sent it in for an RMA, only to find that yet again, nothing had been done to the machine the first time. I called them up again, yelled a bit, told them my argument, which they eventually agreed with, and finally they re-accepted the machine and when I got it back, it had been properly repaired.

It's a frustrating process sometimes with them, but generally, after some prodding they will do the right thing and that's why I keep on (and will keep on) going back to them.
Since that time, my mother's 2003 HP laptop died and we've added a fourth ASUS laptop, a G73SW-BST6 to the family's repertoire:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+-+L...&skuId=1774899

I also sent in Sojourner for a small hinge repair before the warranty expired over the summer of 2010 and received it back without any more issues. The build quality on their laptops though is generally second to none. My screen hinges are still as stiff as the day I bought the computer, and that is fantastic from my point of view.
Intel Core i7 4770K|ASUS Z87Pro|32GB DDR3 RAM|11GB EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti Black|256GB Crucial M4 SSD+2TB WD HDD|4X LG BD-RE|32" Acer Predator Z321QU 165Hz G-Sync (2540x1440)|Logitech Z-323 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Pro

Explorer (MSI GL63 8RE-629 Laptop):
Intel Core i7 8750H|16GB DDR4 RAM|6GB GeForce GTX 1060|128GB SSD+1TB HDD|15.6" Widescreen (1920x1080)|Logitech R-20 2.1 Sound|Win 10 Home
JSLTIGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 09:17 PM   #7
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLAM Strike View Post
The people I bought it from said service would take around 10 days.
And I would assume that would be a middleman retailer who is not ASUS?

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote