SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Current crop of subsims & naval games > COLD WATERS
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-04-17, 09:57 AM   #1
PurpleCow
A-ganger

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default Cannot get close enough to Moskva

So I have played the single player game "Skirmish in the Denmark Straight" several times and have always lost. I find I cannot get close enough to the Moskva. I get in as close as I can but even at 5 knots the towed array sonar of the Moskva picks me up at around 12db.

When I reach the point where I think they have detected me I fire four torps (mk37) at the Moskva, but she turns tail and runs at high speed. The torps are just too slow to catch her.

Any suggestions? I have died 10 times so far.
PurpleCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 10:12 AM   #2
Julhelm
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 189

You can try firing the Mk37's in passive mode at much longer range, say 10.000 yards out. Try and catch him in a sprint, when his sensors are at their least effective.
Julhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 10:22 AM   #3
PurpleCow
A-ganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julhelm View Post
You can try firing the Mk37's in passive mode at much longer range, say 10.000 yards out. Try and catch him in a sprint, when his sensors are at their least effective.
So when the Mk37's are first launched are they in passive mode? How fast do they travel in this mode? Can the enemy detect them easily?
Old 08-04-17, 10:27 AM   #4
PurpleCow
A-ganger

Default How far out are torpedoes detected by enemy

Can enemy ships detect my torpedo launch transits or can they only detect them when torps get into a certain range?
Old 08-04-17, 11:56 AM   #5
Capt Jack Harkness
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 210
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCow View Post
So when the Mk37's are first launched are they in passive mode? How fast do they travel in this mode? Can the enemy detect them easily?
No, when launched they are not enabled and do not track targets. They travel at only 17 kts in this mode but are very stealthy. In game, at least, they're actually quieter than your boat.

Once the torpedo is enabled, either by getting to the end of its track or being enabled manually by pressing 4, it will speed up to 26 kts and start looking for targets with the specified seeker and in the specified pattern. At this point it's highly likely the enemy will detect the torpedo. Seeker mode can be changed from passive to active or vice versa at any time prior to launch or so long as the wire is connected by pressing the left most button of that tube or pressing 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleCow View Post
Can enemy ships detect my torpedo launch transits or can they only detect them when torps get into a certain range?
The Mk 37 is undersized (only 19" diameter instead of the tube's 21") to allow it to swim out of the tube, no launch transient. All other torpedoes have a launch transient. These transients add something like 20 dB to your signature, so if you're far enough away the enemy may not hear them.
Capt Jack Harkness is offline   Reply With Quote