SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-20, 03:47 PM   #1
jorgegonzalito
Officer

Downloads: 322
Uploads: 0
Default All good guys, but who fixes the water and steam leaks

Quick mission "Battle of Midway" with the Salmon-type submarine "USS Sturgeon", Objective: "Confront the Japanese task force". The Comsubpac always pretentious with the objectives, and dissatisfied with the results, always asks for an aircraft carrier to sink. Easy thing to say sitting behind a desk in Honolulu. Japanese carriers are elusive and fast, sailing surrounded by a curtain of destroyers ready to get in the way of torpedoes being fired at them. The result of the mission was poor according to SH4, but I did face the Japanese task force. How not to do it if the mission started with the submerged submarine in the middle of the Japanese fleet. The carriers were far away and they were sailing fast, but very close I had a large battleship at which I fired 4 torpedoes (the uncomfortable Salmon only has 4 tubes instead of six). I knew it was not enough, the ship was damaged and listed but kept sailing and away before the lazy crew (reloading in real time), reloaded the tubes. By then I already had half a dozen warships looking for me to kill me, but still I managed to get up and fire two torpedoes at a light cruiser, who knows why it was floating with its engines stopped. She was very battered and a third torpedo sent her to the bottom. By now I had some damage so I went to 200 feet and stayed put, until my pursuers got tired and left. Back on the surface, I was given the humanitarian task of rescuing several downed American pilots from the sea, tasks that I have already had before and in which I am getting practical. Fortunately no Japanese aircraft bothered me and can rescue all but one, which I could not find. By then the crew had repaired most of the damaged parts, so I headed for Midway to drop off the pilots and thus allow them to quickly rejoin their squadrons.
I got to Midway and docked in the port, with the press of a button I had full fuel and a full load of torpedoes, in addition to the damages repaired ... well, all but one. A shower of water gushed out of a tube at one end of the control room, and in the center of it another tube gave off steam smoke. The damage control panel indicated that none existed, how was it possible? I saved the game and left SH4. Hours later I resumed it to set sail again and continue the mission, but the water and steam losses in the control room continued as if nothing!
jorgegonzalito is offline   Reply With Quote