SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-07, 09:38 AM   #151
Dustyboats
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Opening folders and then the internal .

Hi There Gizzmoe,
On one or two occassions there is resort to opening the files in folders, I get a window up when I endeavour to do so that tells me "unknown or corrupted". Do I need to install a programme/software to do use with these types of files? If so can you lead me please......Dusty
Dustyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 11:17 AM   #152
unruhly
Watch

Downloads: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miika
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmoe
Some standard advice:
Reboot your PC, then try again.
Make sure the DVD is clean.
Update the firmware of your DVD drive
Buy a cleaning CD to clean the laser lens.
Tried all the above, to no avail.

As everything else works fine, all I can think of is DVD drive - SH4 mismatch. Appears I have to try buying a new DVD drive. Bummer...

Nevertheless, thanks for the tips.

Miika
Miika,
Before replacing the drive, you can try cleaning the lens.
Remove the drive and open the top panel. You'll see the lens on a carrier. Dip a q-tip into some alcohol and whip off the excess alcohol by flinging the q-tip through the air. Very gently apply the tip onto the lens and rotate it a couple of times. Do the same thing with the dry end of the q-tip. Using the dry end, swab along the runners for the carrier to remove the dust that collects on the lubricant. Don't over swab it or you'll remove all the grease.
Reassemble and you'll hopefully you'll have no more trouble.
USS Atalanta SSN-712
unruhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 01:47 PM   #153
Volum
Swabbie

Im wondering about Agent insertion missions. I can do them allright, but i've gotten 3 repeated insert Agent missions in a row, all at the exact same spot

And now im really annoyed cause after the last one i got info about the attack in the Coral Sea, and how submarines are gonna be used to scout ahead, might see some carriers. And i get sent to freaking Maron or whatever the place on the Northers Island is called again! Screw that im going to the Coral sea!

Am i supposed to get so many agent insertions in a row? I'm based at Pearl btw.
Old 03-27-07, 01:59 PM   #154
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Missions are random. You just hit an "agent insertion" streak.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 12:02 AM   #155
Schnee
Engineer

Downloads: 2
Default System Crashing

Lots of stupid questions in this post - BUT, here goes.

Systen is a Windows XP on a Sony Pentium 4 3GHZ processor so i should be fast enough.

But I suspect I may need to update my vidoe card drivers - what happens is the game loads ALL the way to the Mission (be it Career/Single Mission) , red bar completes its crawl across the screen, then I get a "Please Wait" box on a blank screen - then system crashes back to the desktop. I have the patch installed by the way.

I presume I have enough RAM - but how can I check on that and what make the video cards are to upgrade the drivers?

Or does anyone think the problem is something different? Its kinda frustrating getting all the way loaded and thenbefore the mission begins (as in SHIII) you get bounced back to your desktop
Schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 01:21 AM   #156
Gizzmoe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyboats
Hi There Gizzmoe,
On one or two occassions there is resort to opening the files in folders, I get a window up when I endeavour to do so that tells me "unknown or corrupted". Do I need to install a programme/software to do use with these types of files? If so can you lead me please......Dusty
Which files are you trying to open?
Gizzmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 02:01 AM   #157
Miika
A-ganger

Downloads: 21
Default Ookay

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miika
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzmoe
Some standard advice:
Reboot your PC, then try again.
Make sure the DVD is clean.
Update the firmware of your DVD drive
Buy a cleaning CD to clean the laser lens.
Tried all the above, to no avail.

As everything else works fine, all I can think of is DVD drive - SH4 mismatch. Appears I have to try buying a new DVD drive. Bummer...

Nevertheless, thanks for the tips.

Miika
Miika,
Before replacing the drive, you can try cleaning the lens.
Remove the drive and open the top panel. You'll see the lens on a carrier. Dip a q-tip into some alcohol and whip off the excess alcohol by flinging the q-tip through the air. Very gently apply the tip onto the lens and rotate it a couple of times. Do the same thing with the dry end of the q-tip. Using the dry end, swab along the runners for the carrier to remove the dust that collects on the lubricant. Don't over swab it or you'll remove all the grease.
Reassemble and you'll hopefully you'll have no more trouble.

Thanks, I'll try that. Sounds a bit scary though.

Now where did I put my screwdriver...

Miika
Old 03-28-07, 06:42 AM   #158
MLF
Weps

Downloads: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF
Have loaded SH4 Ok. Also patch. Go into menu and select a quick mission. Loads up and there I am in the control room. Problem :- FPS flicks constantly between 50 down to 1 ie: 50-1-38-1-49-1 etc. Mouse Pointing to anything is almost impossible - extremely sluggish. Water doesn't render except in wake. Any ideas plz?

MLF
Has anyone any idea what causes the constant 1 second decrease to 1 fps and the sluggishness. I looked at task manager and the only things taking CPU time was SH4 and Task manager. Interesting to note that the CPU time of SH4 goes up and down with the frame rate. I now have the sea rendering correctly, and even on low the graphics look great, but the sim is totally unplayable with this constant up and down of the frame rate. It happens even when the game is paused!

MLF
Old 03-28-07, 07:45 AM   #159
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnee
Lots of stupid questions in this post - BUT, here goes.

Systen is a Windows XP on a Sony Pentium 4 3GHZ processor so i should be fast enough.

But I suspect I may need to update my vidoe card drivers - what happens is the game loads ALL the way to the Mission (be it Career/Single Mission) , red bar completes its crawl across the screen, then I get a "Please Wait" box on a blank screen - then system crashes back to the desktop. I have the patch installed by the way.

I presume I have enough RAM - but how can I check on that and what make the video cards are to upgrade the drivers?

Or does anyone think the problem is something different? Its kinda frustrating getting all the way loaded and thenbefore the mission begins (as in SHIII) you get bounced back to your desktop
Yes, you're fast enough. How much RAM do you have? Are you getting any error messages before CTD? What kind of GFX card do you have? Try uninstallling and re-installing the game again, with patch.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:43 AM   #160
walsh2509
XO

Downloads: 18

We get points for tonnage sunk, does the sim give you points for damaging ships either with deck gun or torps even though they don't sinking. I know I badly damaged a few large Feighters and Tankers some with 5 hits, I know that would not be enough to sink some of these ships, but they are really badly damaged.

If I knew that I was getting points for damage, then I would feel that my 30 to 40mins travel to be on station and the same again back to PH was not in vain.

or do we get points for hits?
walsh2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 11:32 AM   #161
Penelope_Grey
Sea Lord

I don't know if any others have come accross this, but now I can't even start the game on my PC anymore! It keeps crashing to desktop even before the main menu! God alive, I tried reinstalling, no joy, same thing happens.

It used to work before, now it doesn't. Odd indeed. Am trying to patch it to 1.1, see what happens then, I'm beginning to wish my brother had not wasted his money on this game. Note I say the word "wasted" how can something go from working perfectly to crashing to desktop before the main menu is ready!?

I SURVIVED THE FIRST EVER SUBSIM WEREWOLF HUNT - and... I actually won the game for the humans too!
Penelope_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 01:42 PM   #162
Schnee
Engineer

Downloads: 2
Default SH4 Crashes

Ok I'll try re-installing the game with the patch. Not sure about the GFX card. Legacy? I'm pretty sure I have enough RAM, but I'll check that out as well.

Yes, you're fast enough. How much RAM do you have? Are you getting any error messages before CTD? What kind of GFX card do you have? Try uninstallling and re-installing the game again, with patch.[/quote]
Schnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 02:38 PM   #163
fair_weather
Planesman

Downloads: 18

Alright, got SH4 a couple days ago, first time ever trying a game this indepth (oh the wit! ) and I love every second of it!

I have everything on max, or close to it, and it looks fantastic, only had a few CTDs but they were fixed.

Only a few things that are making me scratch my head...one is the recognition book...I can only see american ships...how do I switch to looking at other nations? Is there something I'm overseeing or what?

Regardless of that small point, the game is very much fun, most fun I've had in a long long while.

Nice forum you guys have too btw! (First post too!)
fair_weather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 02:52 PM   #164
Gizzmoe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope_Grey
Note I say the word "wasted" how can something go from working perfectly to crashing to desktop before the main menu is ready!?
Delete mydocuments\sh4, then try it again.
Gizzmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 04:19 PM   #165
Egan
Admiral

Downloads: 15

I don't seem to be able to see any smoke from ships at all. I've been running with enviromental effects switched off but I don't remember seeing any with it switched on either. Is it a bug or am i missing something here?
Egan is offline   Reply With Quote