SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-06-06, 08:02 PM   #1
IronOutlaw
Loader

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Disarming the Weapon Systems!

"Now he has to be mad," I hear you all say. However, there is method in my madness.

I am an instructor with the Australian Navy Cadets at TS Hawkesbury near Sydney, Australia. The ANC is a youth training organisation sponsored by the RAN.

I have been impressed with the potential of DW to create a realistic simulation for an FFG, in particular, but for command and control exercises in general.

But, the cadets are aged from 12 1/2 to 21 and the governing body of the ANC would not like us showing the kids how to destroy ships and submarines, and ultimately the people on board, even though you don't see them.

If the game could be made so that non combat missions like search and rescue, border patrol, etc., only were possible, the chance of having a bunch of youngsters all working together on say, the bridge of an FFG, patrolling northern Australia for illegal fishing boats, or rescuing another mad Englishman (I am already one), from an upturned yacht in the Antarctic Ocean, would be such a great training aid.

A good recruiting tool for the RAN methinks, (as I do not think it would be hard to set up a generic simulator at the Cadet Unit), not to mention the possibility of greater exposure of DW and subsequently increased sales. I do not know if the RAN is already using DW.

Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

IronOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote